Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that AP does these things, when activated by the driver: maintains lane position, maintains a set following distance proportional to vehicle speed, to some degree adjusts speed based on known (to the car) speed limits and allows for an "offset" if one is selected by the driver, does a single lane change when the driver engages the turn signal appropriately, and dips high beams when oncoming headlights are detected.

Actually the AP doesn't adjust speed based on speed limit signs at all. The system can read the signs, and indicate when you are above a limit, or above a limit plus an offset, but no adjustments to set speed are made based on the speed limit signs.

Another AP function the car currently performs is Lane Departure Warning. When you are driving without Auto Steer Beta engaged, and beginning to inadvertently swerve out of your lane (or in my case just get too close to the center line--I've asked for a less sensitive setting), the steering wheel vibrates, to alert you.

Actually the AP doesn't adjust speed based on speed limit signs at all. The system can read the signs, and indicate when you are above a limit, or above a limit plus an offset, but no adjustments to set speed are made based on the speed limit signs.

There is a YouTube video of a guy driving in Miami with AutoPilot and crossed into a lower speed zone and got hit with a speeding ticket. I bet he would have loved the car to adjust downwards automatically.

Are folks experiencing the 7.0 TACC slowing below the set speed for approaching curves,
apparently using the built in maps from the instrument panel to "see" what is ahead?
I'm still on the first version 7 revision and I have not seen it slow for curves. There are a few I've driven that simply can't be driven at the posted limit, but the car will try it if you don't intervene.

I have, however, experienced it slow down for no apparent reason, then speed up again. Once was where an on-ramp merges onto the highway (I was on the highway) and nobody was around. Another was coming up to a construction zone with plenty of bright orange signs around. Other times there have been no indications of what might have caused the slow down. I half wondered if previous passes by my car or others had seen reason to slow down and this had been learned for my use - even if not needed. But I'e gone through these locations several times and the slowdowns haven't repeated themselves.

Setting a route in NAV doesn't seem to change behavior where mapping might help... i.e., swerving incorrectly into a left turn bay when the route would have the car continue straight, behind the car ahead. It sometimes learns from the mistake and negotiates the section of road properly the next few times, but not always... sometimes an error I thought was corrected recurs.

It sometimes decides to get uncomfortably close to a lane edge going around corners. Other times, it's right down the middle. I haven't been able to decide what conditions cause this.

Re slowing on curves... If there is a car ahead in another lane on a curve, at some point that leading car will be in front of your car -- i.e., centered in the front radar -- and cause your car to slow superfluously. Your car "sees" something directly ahead, not being aware that what it sees is in a different lane. I consider this a bug, but I don't know how it can be fixed -- so maybe it should be called a design defect.

I would think the software can judge lanes and intent with the position of the steering wheel. (I'm in the middle lane, and I'm turning to follow the lane markings.) Add the sensor readings of the other vehicles, in my lane or adjacent lanes... With this information it should know the car ahead, but in an adjacent lane, is exactly that and map it accordingly and not slow down. They're probably working on this logic.

Using revision 2.7.56, I have seen no indication that TACC slows for curves,
but I have not yet been on an interchange with TACC.

Are the people that are reporting TACC automatically slowing using a later revision?

I was on .56 until yesterday, and my car slowed multiple times for curves on the on-ramps and in the city. Not on the highway though.... I'm on .77 now, and it still does it.

I guess I need to find some safe places (well marked curves, no traffic or cliffs)
to test this TACC auto-slowing when approaching curves.

This requires that the Auto-Steering is also active, or just TACC alone?
Thanks again.

Either should work.

In the city it was just TACC (25mph speed limit zone, with lots of speed traps, so I set TACC to 30mph so that I don't get a ticket, pre-curve it slowed down to 28, at the curve ~25-26, post curve back to 30), on the on-ramps it was auto-steer + TACC and it slowed from my setpoint of 50mph down to 30mph.

So we have still only a single report of the yet unnamed 2.7.85 build being installed. And with 260 people reporting .56 and only 60 reporting .77; it seems the "only slightly less crap" UI hasn't really hit wide distribution, yet.
I'm curious how many people are still on 6.2 (not the ones refusing the switch to v7, I'm wondering about people who haven't received the firmware install notification at all). Given that we had more than 500 cars reporting 6.2 and only 333 cars reporting v7 there are three interpretations:
a) a ton of people who reported 6.2 haven't bothered to report that they got v7
b) a ton of people were offered v7 but just like me declined and stayed on v6.2
c) the roll-out was nowhere near as complete as Elon's tweets made it sound it would be and a lot of people are still involuntarily on v6.2

I'm curious how many people are still on 6.2 (not the ones refusing the switch to v7, I'm wondering about people who haven't received the firmware install notification at all). Given that we had more than 500 cars reporting 6.2 and only 333 cars reporting v7 there are three interpretations:
a) a ton of people who reported 6.2 haven't bothered to report that they got v7
b) a ton of people were offered v7 but just like me declined and stayed on v6.2
c) the roll-out was nowhere near as complete as Elon's tweets made it sound it would be and a lot of people are still involuntarily on v6.2

You left out the most likely:

d) some combination of a), b), and c). :)