Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea how close you can set it? In my garage I have to get a little past when it's saying "STOP, DAMMIT!" before I'm confident the garage door won't hit the back.

There probably wouldn't be any way to set it beyond "STOP." (I'm updating now, so I can't give you a real answer.)

Perhaps once the firmware is updated such that the car can be trained, you'll be able to use it.

Similarly, at one of the garages I park at, I have to adjust parallel-parking style after pulling in on a curve, to leave enough space between the Tesla and the other car that will be (or is) parked in the garage. Until training is available, I will not be able to use the self-parking feature at that location.

Any idea how close you can set it? In my garage I have to get a little past when it's saying "STOP, DAMMIT!" before I'm confident the garage door won't hit the back.
4"

The summons works very well except with a garage 'lip'. Another poster indicated that his stopped with the lip but when he reinistiated that it traversed the lip fine. Mine would not. Now the lip for my garage is 3/4-1" and when the front tires encounter this the car stops.

All other functions in the new release work well. Thanks TM

I also got it this morning and at this time I will NOT install it as I am not sure about the autopilot restrictions. And help here? I just posted the install 24 hours away not to get frustrated.... and finally: is there a jailbraking available ... like with an apple iphone? Would be nice to get the new 7.1 for other reasons but to keep the autopilot at 7.0

Looks like 8", but there is an option for "allow narrow spaces" which might help.

IMAG1096_zps2elews67.jpg

Obviously this is a first version and there will be future enhancements, but it does seem a bit of a shame that you can set the car up to power up, open door, reverse out, close door, stop.... but that to make it do this you have to go into the garage in the first place anyway.

The safety/legal/etc leap from this service requiring close fob proximity to one that can be enabled from the remote app is probably very wide, even though the technical obstacles are most likely very low.

Got the update, and tested it thoroughly this morning on the way to my sons rehearsal!

Autosteer - v7.1 takes curves MUCH better and smoother!

Autopilot - The IC now shows a vehicle in 3 lanes and can now show Cars, Trucks, and Motorcycles!

Autopark - Perpendicular parking uses the alignment and distance of the 2 cars to the left and right to park Model S dead center, so if both cars are parked crooked the car will park crooked to maintain the centered position. It does account for curbs and independent parking bumps!!!! Only down side is just like parallel parking you have to drive so far past the spot someone is bound to get in the spot by pulling head-in behind you :confused: so don't use if you are in a hurry to find a spot!

Summon - This is a COOL feature but not what I was expecting. Since we have auto-homelink and the garage door auto opens, getting in and out is easier and more convenient so the Summon feature is more of an inconvenience. If I have to line the car up and stand 10ft away I might as well pull in myself!! If this is just the initial then fine, I want to be able to put my car anywhere on my property and have my car pull into the garage and be able to do so from a further distance. I also would like to be able to summon via the My Tesla App when its cold in the morning and have the car pull up to the door ready to go.

Obviously this is a first version and there will be future enhancements, but it does seem a bit of a shame that you can set the car up to power up, open door, reverse out, close door, stop.... but that to make it do this you have to go into the garage in the first place anyway.

The safety/legal/etc leap from this service requiring close fob proximity to one that can be enabled from the remote app is probably very wide, even though the technical obstacles are most likely very low.

Beyond legalities, I think it's best Tesla provide new functions with maximum safety and restrictions that sort of protect people from doing dumb things. Auto Park needing you and your FOB to be within 10' in this iteration seems to be a good thing, then if all works out, perhaps restrictions are released somewhat in the future. Personally I found it interesting that Tesla was trusting enough to not force buttons to be held down on the FOB during the whole time Auto Park is in process (meaning it's like a dead man if you stop pushing, the car stops). My former BMW would not allow me to put the hard top up or down unless I kept my finger on the FOB button or button in the cockpit the whole process -- any release and it stopped.

7.0 AutoPilot is a good example .... Tesla put the first version out there, but found some idiots were misusing some of what they intended, and has put in some restrictions after-the-fact... There were plenty of vocal people concerned something was potentially being taken away from them when word came from Elon restrictions were going to come. Whereas, IMHO if the restrictions were there to begin with and perhaps opened-up later, more people would be happy than sad through the journey. Always better to give customers more, than take something away. ;)