Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure hope @MarcG got it (I didn't yet) so we can see videos. Really want to see garage parking and how close you can get (left/right, front/back). Also the Release Notes on Perpendicular Parking were cut off on the screenshot, is it back in only?

I'm new to this (only had my car a week) so forgive me these stupid questions. I just went out to the car and no notifications. Do they pop up onto the screen without having to dig in to software revision stuff?

Yes. Also if you have the Tesla phone app installed and setup to receive notifications of software updates you won't need to keep going out to check your car. Sometimes it takes days to roll out to the fleet so don't worry if you don't get it right away (easier said than done) [emoji3]

Last edited:
Summon sounds great if it will allow you to park from outside the car in a tight home garage with the mirrors folded. Disappointing that it only works on flat driveways, though...
I suspect this is because the existing sensor tech may have insufficient vertical sight to obstacles on steeper slopes and inclines ...just too many possible failures in a first implementation, especially if you think about a driveway with humps and/or valleys and obstacles where fixed sensors may miss them, or get confused on those slopes with false positives (current sensors have that issue with some larger speed bumps and steep driveways I've encountered).

IMHO, Elon has now met another of his former AutoPilot commitments which is great. While improvements to Auto Park may help a few more owners be able to use the capability with their specific driveway situations, first completing a lot of the other non-sexy basics (Nav Waypoints, USB Media Player, etc.) to probably help a whole lot more owners would be my preference. ;)

IMHO, Elon has now met another of his former AutoPilot commitments which is great.

Hardly. He was quite clear at the Autopilot launch that there would be a feature where the car autonomously decided at the appropriate time (based on your calendar and traffic) to power up, open your garage door, reverse itself out, close the door again, and then wait for you, without you being present.

This latest addition is a great step forward but it's no more than the first 10% of the feature Elon envisioned, and it's still nothing that BMW/Lexus don't already have.

While improvements to Auto Park may help a few more owners be able to use the capability with their specific driveway situations, first completing a lot of the other non-sexy basics (Nav Waypoints, USB Media Player, etc.) to probably help a whole lot more owners would be my preference. ;)

Agreed.

I suspect this is because the existing sensor tech may have insufficient vertical sight to obstacles on steeper slopes and inclines ...just too many possible failures in a first implementation, especially if you think about a driveway with humps and/or valleys and obstacles where fixed sensors may miss them, or get confused on those slopes with false positives (current sensors have that issue with some larger speed bumps and steep driveways I've encountered).

IMHO, Elon has now met another of his former AutoPilot commitments which is great. While improvements to Auto Park may help a few more owners be able to use the capability with their specific driveway situations, first completing a lot of the other non-sexy basics (Nav Waypoints, USB Media Player, etc.) to probably help a whole lot more owners would be my preference. ;)

most driveways have some slope so I'm curious if it has to be absolutely flat to work. Your right about NAV, was really hoping they had fixed the basic functionality of directing me to the right place and not take me in circles. I'd sacrifice waypoints for accuracy. What's wrong with USB? Mines generally very good

Hardly. He was quite clear at the Autopilot launch that there would be a feature where the car autonomously decided at the appropriate time (based on your calendar and traffic) to power up, open your garage door, reverse itself out, close the door again, and then wait for you, without you being present.

This latest addition is a great step forward but it's no more than the first 10% of the feature Elon envisioned, and it's still nothing that BMW/Lexus don't already have.

(snip)

Hum… how is the car supposed to unplug itself ?

I agree Tesla is not yet up to what they announced, but I had always understood the car being able to get out of the garage/parking space itself but under user supervision.

My first thought was that it wouldn't be that useful for home (because you need to unplug, so you might as well just hop into your seat at that point) but for tight parking spaces. Especially useful since the MS (and MX !) is a big car.

Any IC UI updates/changes for non-AP cars?

I got the update notice today, but still holding out.

How about other UI updates even for AP cars? After a lot of complaints with the 7.0 release about the clock and weather information no longer being so convenient, I'm wondering if any improvements have been made.

Here are some videos of Summon, one exiting the garage. (Summon will auto open the garage door on exit)

and one entering, which it opens the door, however it got hung up on the lip to my garage. When I restarted Summon it was able to get over the lip.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about other UI updates even for AP cars? After a lot of complaints with the 7.0 release about the clock and weather information no longer being so convenient, I'm wondering if any improvements have been made.

And more specifically, any changes to the power meter? There was a different power meter shown at the 7.0 presentation, and conjecture at the time was that it was actually the 7.1 power meter.

I have the update pending, but I'm hoping someone will answer this before I can see for myself.

Thanks!