Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder how it deals with parking next to another car in a two car garage. I was hoping it would learn to park where I wanted it to for example as far left as possible so my wife has plenty of room to open her car door without dinging me.

Wonder how it deals with parking next to another car in a two car garage. I was hoping it would learn to park where I wanted it to for example as far left as possible so my wife has plenty of room to open her car door without dinging me.

I was just driving around trying it, it seems to center itself between two cars. It does not seem to account for the lines from what I could tell.

Just a quick reminder, as everyone is taking this update, to also take a moment to update The Firmware Upgrade Tracker:

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

- - - Updated - - -

And speaking of the tracker, I don't believe anyone has proposed a name for this version yet. I don't know who the first person to report it in the tracker was, and of course the rights to name belong to that person. But that person can take suggestions. Since this is such a significant update, perhaps the community might make some suggestions. I have one, though I'm sure there will be others that are better. But I would like to suggest "KITT", for obvious reasons. Alternatively, we could modify the KI in KITT, which according to Wikipedia stands for Knight Industries, to TI, for Tesla Industries, but I think there may be some issues with that. :) So we should probably just stick with KITT, if people like the idea.

Just a quick reminder, as everyone is taking this update, to also take a moment to update The Firmware Upgrade Tracker:

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

- - - Updated - - -

And speaking of the tracker, I don't believe anyone has proposed a name for this version yet. I don't know who the first person to report it in the tracker was, and of course the rights to name belong to that person. But that person can take suggestions. Since this is such a significant update, perhaps the community might make some suggestions. I have one, though I'm sure there will be others that are better. But I would like to suggest "KITT", for obvious reasons. Alternatively, we could modify the KI in KITT, which according to Wikipedia stands for Knight Industries, to TI, for Tesla Industries, but I think there may be some issues with that. :) So we should probably just stick with KITT, if people like the idea.

Wouldn't the double T at the end make it less problematic at least for people who know their grammar? :tongue:

@Majerus: how does that initial setup work exactly? I didn't quite understand the description in the release notes... How do you tell the car its final parking position?

You just set at what distance it stops at, based on the sensors. So in my case I just set it to 24" so it will continue to drive until it sees an object 24" away, or has driven 30'

Not my video, but one I found posted.

Great video. I'm interested in what others report on how far the car pulls in. In my garage, I could pull in enough to fit another third of an S if I didn't have our bikes and stuff there. For someone who has such a deep garage and left that space open, would the car pull in as far as it could, or only as far as it needs to. And hopefully the car can back in. That looked right if the driver wanted to get in and back out himself.

Watching the video in post 50, I am impressed by many things. One that jumped out at me was that the car continued to park, ignoring the sensors' "STOP" indication on the screen. I had wondered about how this would work, and was pleased to see this functionality.

I already do see one possible area that could be improved, though. I'm not sure the stress on all of us is necessary as we watch our cars drive to within a few inches of closed garage doors. Couldn't Tesla change the algorithm to a)check if the car is in a GPS garage door location, and if it is, then b) check the sensors before the car starts moving, and then finally c) if an object is sensed in the path of the car, try to open the garage door --BEFORE-- the car even starts moving.

This wouldn't work in all cases, but I think in the video above the car would have opened the door before it started moving when backing out and it could have opened it sooner when pulling in. A change to an algorithm more like the one I'm suggesting might save a lot of stress!