Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind the software/firmware package sent to each car is rather large, so Tesla must limit the updates to a handful at a time to prevent overloading it's data center connection. This is the main reason for the slow rollout, and it gets worse as the fleet gets larger.

Keep in mind the software/firmware package sent to each car is rather large, so Tesla must limit the updates to a handful at a time to prevent overloading it's data center connection. This is the main reason for the slow rollout, and it gets worse as the fleet gets larger.

So it must be bigger than 7.0 which was rolled very quickly. I had thought the updates were incremental no?

One hopes they're planning to move to something less horrifically unscalable before Model 3 hits the streets. This ain't (ahem) rocket science.

Last edited:
So it must be bigger than 7.0 which was rolled very quickly. I had thought the updates were incremental no?
I wonder if they may also do some random shuffle or something similar? I received it very early for 7.0 and still nothing for 7.1. Maybe I'm on the other end now to 'play fair' so to speak? Just surmising.

- - - Updated - - -

More importantly (at lest to me), is once some 90D owner start getting it: Does it correct the continual range loss issue?

My range at 90% now down from 257 to 243 in just 3 months. :crying:
Mine has as well, but I'm pretty sure that's colder weather-related from other threads I've read. Let's see what happens once it starts to warm up again.

I think maybe they pushed up the release of the summon feature to get some press before any competitor announcements at the Detroit Auto Show this week.

Hopefully the UI improvement are still coming.
From your lips to Elon's ears.
Yes, the impromptu press call today makes me think that they prioritized a marketing stunt over the expressed wishes of their paying customers.
Once again we're getting things on the bleeding edge with limited use instead of Tesla fixing bugs that many hear complain about.
UI isn't fixed. Nav isn't fixed. Media app got worse, not better. No Spotify for the US.
But UHHHHHH, SHINY!!!! I can summon the car. Which is something that most likely fewer than 1% of their user base will use on even a semi regular basis (if ever). Half the cars have no AP hardware. Most cars are plugged into the charger when in the garage.

ARGL. This is so painfully frustrating. All this potential. But it doesn't matter what the cattle, err, I mean, the existing customers want. What matters is things that Elon can talk about in front of the press.

I have been logging flows coming from the car and I see hits to Akamai. Most mature public SW deployment/update uses a CDN. As an example, Microsoft patches an absolutely amazing number of computers on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. There should be essentially "zero" bandwidth limitation for Tesla DCs if they are using a CDN. Best reason to do a slow roll, IMHO, is to make sure they did not screw something up that will cause widespread problems.

Interestingly, the Akamai connection I have been watching only does a HEAD request and gets a 400 response (bad request). This does not necessarily indicate a problem but it is somewhat of an unusual thing.

If someone else has done traces during an update it would be interesting to see whether they are delivering the updates over VPN, SSL, or in the clear.

I guess they've never heard of a CDN in Fremont :-/

No one serves traffic from a single point.

Was anybody able to use new Tesla MS app feature to open/close garage door? I am not seeing this option on my app - maybe it is part of the app for AP cars only (although it does not seem to make sense)?

image.png

Does Summon work, in say, a restaurant parking lot?
I believe someone posted that they tried it in a parking lot and it worked. I assume that Summon will work in locations off public roads. But I suspect you have to use it with caution because the car will not be able to detect the difference between, for example, a paved surface and a lawn, and there might be some obstacles it will not detect such as a fence consisting of a few horizontal wires several feet off the ground.

I believe someone posted that they tried it in a parking lot and it worked. I assume that Summon will work in locations off public roads. But I suspect you have to use it with caution because the car will not be able to detect the difference between, for example, a paved surface and a lawn, and there might be some obstacles it will not detect such as a fence consisting of a few horizontal wires several feet off the ground.
So summon appears to rely on walls, etc - things that the sensors can detect. So I guess it would work if parking between other cars. But since the car ignores markings on the surface I think this wouldn't work unless you had a spot between other cars, right?

- - - Updated - - -

i have an S70 non-D but with AP. 3 weeks old. VIN 118xx, no signs of updates, i'e never done an update before (As the car is new, so it came with 7.0) according to ev-fw no 70s have been upgraded. Wonder if anyone here has a RWD 70
I think the sample size of RWD 70s is very small. If you look at the stats for v7.0 you see that we only have a total of 5 Model S 70 ever reporting - the only cars more rare in our data are the Model S 40 (3 of them) the Model S 90 (1), the Model X (2) and the non-existing Model S P60 (we have one of those... fascinating...)
This is why I keep posting here and there and everywhere, asking people to enter data into the tracker. The tracker is only as useful as the data that we can get. And the fewer people enter their data, the less useful the tracker becomes.

I guess they've never heard of a CDN in Fremont :-/

No one serves traffic from a single point.

We don't know what distribution platform they use though, They pushed out 7.0, tens of thousands cars,to the world in 36 hours last October so whatever they have worked. The slowness could be many things; strategic, focused, random, technical problems all the things mentioned above.

But where does it go? Does it come to wherever the phone is? Does it just sit in the middle of the road?

From your lips to Elon's ears.
Yes, the impromptu press call today makes me think that they prioritized a marketing stunt over the expressed wishes of their paying customers.
Once again we're getting things on the bleeding edge with limited use instead of Tesla fixing bugs that many hear complain about.
UI isn't fixed. Nav isn't fixed. Media app got worse, not better. No Spotify for the US.
But UHHHHHH, SHINY!!!! I can summon the car. Which is something that most likely fewer than 1% of their user base will use on even a semi regular basis (if ever). Half the cars have no AP hardware. Most cars are plugged into the charger when in the garage.

ARGL. This is so painfully frustrating. All this potential. But it doesn't matter what the cattle, err, I mean, the existing customers want. What matters is things that Elon can talk about in front of the press.

Interestingly. Today mercedes Benz released the 2017 E class data that goes for sale in the summer of 2016. It has Drive pilot which sounds equal or better than autopilot. They "say" it can drive up to 81mph on the highway without lane markings and just use cars and medians etc to navigate. It has active lane change assist and will look if the lane is clear then change lanes. It also has remote parking from the app.

Looks like MB has stepped it up and is bringing 7.1 features out this summer. I am sure Elon keeps us ahead with more updates by then but is now hardware limited vs the suite of sensors on the 2017 MB.

Also I would like to add the 7.1 update does better driving on single lane undivided roads at 5mph over limit that it could not navigate at all before without hitting a ditch or oncoming traffic.

I think the sample size of RWD 70s is very small. If you look at the stats for v7.0 you see that we only have a total of 5 Model S 70 ever reporting - the only cars more rare in our data are the Model S 40 (3 of them) the Model S 90 (1), the Model X (2) and the non-existing Model S P60 (we have one of those... fascinating...)
This is why I keep posting here and there and everywhere, asking people to enter data into the tracker. The tracker is only as useful as the data that we can get. And the fewer people enter their data, the less useful the tracker becomes.

Makes sense, i will enter it to the db when i get it