Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really hoping for the power meter shown in one of the slides at the version 7 press event. At the time, many thought since it was not the version 7.0 power meter that it was likely to be the version 7.1 power meter. I guess I can keep hoping the change gets made eventually.

View attachment 107449

I don't like that power meter, as it takes up 1/3 of the real estate space and doesn't add much besides the power meter. If they could improve the current one, while keeping both power meter and last 30 miles consumption visible at the same time, I think that would be a better step.

Going back to a logarithm power gauge? I think it would be great, but I don't think that's the actual order of things, that's probably beta software.

The current one is most likely logarithmic too.

- - - Updated - - -

Warning: You may not like what 7.1 does to Autosteer on (divided) highways.

While out testing the new software yesterday, I discovered that on a 6-lane divided highway with perfect visibility, well-marked lanes, no curves, no hills, and minimal traffic, AUTOSTEER FORCES YOU TO JIGGLE THE STEERING WHEEL AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 15 SECONDS to prevent receiving a message to hold the steering wheel.

IMHO this effectively takes away the ability to cruise using Autosteer. Just lightly resting your hand on the wheel doesn't stop the nagging "hold the wheel" messages; you've got to actively remember to wiggle the wheel every 15 seconds.

With the previous version 7.0 on the very same highway (which I routinely drive to the airport) I was able to drive 30 minutes without getting the nag. A few weeks ago I drove from DC to Atlanta and back without getting the message unless warranted by conditions (e.g., lane markings disappearing).

Has anyone else noticed this change with version 7.1?

O damn... this is the second report of this. Maybe I should've held off on upgrading... sigh... whatever.

While out testing the new software yesterday, I discovered that on a 6-lane divided highway with perfect visibility, well-marked lanes, no curves, no hills, and minimal traffic, AUTOSTEER FORCES YOU TO JIGGLE THE STEERING WHEEL AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 15 SECONDS to prevent receiving a message to hold the steering wheel.

IMHO this effectively takes away the ability to cruise using Autosteer. Just lightly resting your hand on the wheel doesn't stop the nagging "hold the wheel" messages; you've got to actively remember to wiggle the wheel every 15 seconds.

With the previous version 7.0 on the very same highway (which I routinely drive to the airport) I was able to drive 30 minutes without getting the nag. A few weeks ago I drove from DC to Atlanta and back without getting the message unless warranted by conditions (e.g., lane markings disappearing).

I had a 300 mile trip right after installing 7.1 and the nag happened every 5 mins exactly. I can understand Tesla wanting to have a nag to make sure we are awake but it does get annoying after a few hours of driving. Also I think the timer should get reset if I start a lane change since it proves that I am in control of the car (I even had the nag happen in the middle of a lane change).

I had a 300 mile trip right after installing 7.1 and the nag happened every 5 mins exactly. I can understand Tesla wanting to have a nag to make sure we are awake but it does get annoying after a few hours of driving. Also I think the timer should get reset if I start a lane change since it proves that I am in control of the car (I even had the nag happen in the middle of a lane change).

Did you use a timer?

Yep. Used a stopwatch on my phone when I touched the wheel and the nag would appear 5 mins after. The nag timer gets reset anytime you disengage autopilot. I'm guessing most people haven't had 5 minutes of continuous autopilot usage yet.

If you keep your hands resting on the wheel at all times are you still get the nag every 5 minutes? If so do you have to jiggle the wheel like the person upthread said?

I've used the 7.1 auto steer several times on 4 and 3 lane divided highways over the past two days and haven't seen any difference with respect to being asked to hold the wheel.

still waiting for my update. For the ones that got it, any changes on the trip planner ? someone said that it now recommends an average speed to hit the estimated mile range and optimize speed vs. charging time. Sounds like a very good feature if true, any more info on that ? can someone post screenshots or comment ? (if this exists of course)

I don't know about the way you ask (hitting rated miles), but the Nav will suggest a speed to make it to your destination via Trip Planner now. Plus it does better with avoiding "0 minute charging needed".
vCiv0aL.jpg

...and let's not all forget to thank the nuts that created those adolescent videos that so many people watched, which caused Tesla to take more overt and extensive action ensuring the driver is in control.
A) Agree this blows.
B) The clowns on YouTube acting out with AutoPilot are not really to blame. That stuff is inevitable. It's the lawyers that advise Tesla to do this for liability reasons. Lawsuits based on people doing stupid things and wanting compensation from the manufacturer should be summarily dismissed but there are judges that don't. THIS is the problem.

I'm definitely not seeing every five minutes for the nag. I had more nag than usual this morning, but the sun was low and the road shaded, which always gives it trouble. Despite that, I'm pretty sure I've gone more than five minutes. Unfortunately for my testing (but fortunate for my happiness), I'm getting the ludicrous upgrade done today, so no more testing for me.

I have now had the first case of the 5 mph limit kicking in on a road that did have a median. I believe it is because it is a long road that doesn't have a median at some points. Still a bummer. I think some people are going to run into the limit places they shouldn't, especially where map data is poor.