Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought about this exact situation. I'm going to re-align my garage sensors so that it's at bumper level instead of ankle level. (I don't have small children to worry about). This should stop garage door unless there is clearance.
That is a really good idea, even without Auto Homelink.

I wish I had done that before last week. It would have prevented mishap when I did not pull in quite far enough and the garage door hinge hit the bumper (fortunately no paint damage, just torn XPel and a very slight dent)

- - - Updated - - -

Is that new? Will it tell me I can speed (i.e. keep below 80mph to reach your destination?)
It might, but in general if range is an issue, it is going to request you slow down to 65MPH or less, as that gives very large range improvements.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about the way you ask (hitting rated miles), but the Nav will suggest a speed to make it to your destination via Trip Planner now. Plus it does better with avoiding "0 minute charging needed".
Hopefully it also avoid trying to route me back to the supercharger I just left. :confused:

That was the last straw that caused me to turn off the trip planning feature.

The "Nag" is tremendously worse!!

I have an average each way commute of 45 miles. Over 40 of them on the interstate. Before 7.1 there were only 2 places that would say "hold steering wheel" on a regular basis and that was it. Now with 7.1 I was asked to hold the steering wheel at least 10 times. I'll have to keep times and miles and see what the instigator is but the "Nag" factor has gotten terrible with this release. I sure hope "fleet learning" or updates will help this and it's not permanent.

I'm still on v7.0 but I've wondered about that "fleet learning" also. If it "learns", why does it ask me to hold the wheel at the same spot 95% of the time? The road is clear and the markings are clear? After 2+ months, I would think it should've learned by now.

Only had a short drive but didn't go so well:
1. Summon via the app opened the garage door then had "summon error". Tried it again with the key and it started backing up.
2. Didn't auto close garage door. Good thing I have an app for that.
3. Tried autopilot for a minute on a divided highway. It started slowing down for a curve. I thought that curve was fine for the speed (and I've taken that curve 35mph faster non-ap)
4. Forward collision warning went off VERY early. I have it set to late and I was pulling up to a car at a light.

I've seen no evidence that autopilot actually "learns". Mine behaves just as it did when 7.0 was released, which is to say very good but the parts of the road that cause issues still do.

@tezzla & @eye.surgeon I agree COMPLETELY. The only things that change the nag or losing its way is speed or weather or time of day. I don't think anything has shown any "learning" improvement thus far. Still hopeful that it will and that it will fix the nags that are grossly intrusive since the 7.1 update

<rant>

WTF is "Summon Error"??? Was this thing written by interns???? You should never ever ever ever have a user facing general error like that unless you're a complete n00b. It should tell you exactly why it aborted even if that's above the average reading level of your audience.

</rant>

@tezzla & @eye.surgeon I agree COMPLETELY. The only things that change the nag or losing its way is speed or weather or time of day. I don't think anything has shown any "learning" improvement thus far. Still hopeful that it will and that it will fix the nags that are grossly intrusive since the 7.1 update

WRT to fleet learning, this thread has discussed it at length. I've been a cautiously contrarian voice in that thread, as there was a lot more success reported than I would have expected. Knowing what I do about machine learning models, it seemed very unlikely to me that things would be updating as quickly as they were. It's not like you're on a road, you correct the car on a curve, and from that point forward the model knows how to take that specific curve. It takes many, many iterations on many similar curves in order to generalize well to those curves. Also, since it is layered on top of an existing Mobileye model, I would expect that the movement would be even slower.

All of that said, I do believe there is fleet learning. I haven't seen any evidence that new models are being pushed to the car regularly, though. My guess was that the first update was pushed in the bundle with 7.1.

To realign the garage door blocked-opening sensor beam to keep the existing low level
sensing and add bumper-height sensing, with a Z-shaped sensor beam (A, B, C, D),
add two small mirrors (B and C), as described below (or some similar variation):

Call the original sensors A and D.

1. Move just one sensor (D) up to "bumper height".
2. Add (*) a small flat mirror (B), where sensor D was located.
3. Add (*) a 2nd small flat mirror (C) above sensor A, at "bumper height".
4. Align each mirror so that it faces the point exactly halfway between
the opposite-side mirror and sensor.
5. Check that breaking the new Z-shaped sensor beam works, both
at the original low level and the new "bumper level".

(*) Adding an additional mount similar to the sensor mounts might be
difficult, and the original mounts might not even be adjustable. So,
adding a vertical extension to each bracket, up to "bumper height"
might be easier. Some ingenuity might be required.

Cheers, Gary

Trip planner 0 minute supercharger FAIL!!! O man, I'm disappointed at the "fix". The fix for 0-minute superchargers is to just display the supercharger, but not show a "0 min" next to it? Really Tesla? REALLY?????!?!?!?!?

DC to MA
20160111_113643.jpg

Same with DC to NY. Given I didn't start with 90% or 100% charge, but I'm sure I could've made it to Newark DE, given my current charge state, without stopping for an undisclosed amount of time at Baltimore.

(I didn't actually do the trip, just playing with it during lunch)

Well, the Bethesda, MD supercharger is rumored to be going away soon so this is just a nostalgic one last time visit there to say goodbye to it ;)

lol, this is one of the few places where I CONSTANTLY get a "stop by for a 0-minute charge". The other 0-minute stops are less predictable for me, but I'll pay attention next time I'm on a trip.