Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, this was a big update. The systems that got new code (besides the CID/IC) are:
BMS
Charge Port
Charger
Gateway
Drive Inverter(s)
Pedal Monitor
Traction Control/ABS
Thermal Management
Body ECU
Driver Assistance/MobilEye
Parking Assistance
Electric Parking Brake
iBoost system
Radar
Security ECU

Also a new one I haven't seen before: RLS_CAL

Lots of Model X stuff in there too, as well as a new "Transport" mode in addition to factory mode.

Wow, this was a big update. The systems that got new code (besides the CID/IC) are:
BMS
Charge Port
Charger
Gateway
Drive Inverter(s)
Pedal Monitor
Traction Control/ABS
Thermal Management
Body ECU
Parking Assistance
Electric Parking Brake
iBoost system
Radar
Security ECU

Lots of Model X stuff in there too, as well as a new "Transport" mode in addition to factory mode.

Real Late Sending _ CALIFORNIA

BMS
Charge Port
Charger
Gateway
Drive Inverter(s)
Pedal Monitor
Traction Control/ABS
Thermal Management
Body ECU
Parking Assistance
Electric Parking Brake
iBoost system
Radar
Security ECU

Are you getting this from the module names? Very interested in learning what changes were made to some of things. Most importantly for me is the changes to the BMS, if you know.
Thanks

You guys are cracking me. But what will Hank think of me? Won't he feel abandoned? I thought the irony of the two people most active on the firmware update tracker still being on 6.2 was priceless...

Oh well

/me walks out to the car and presses "install now"...

It's lonely at the top. :(

But your car has AP, mine does not, so I'm not missing nearly as much as you are.

I'd probably upgrade too if I had an AP car.

On the FWIW front, a few data points for those that care about such detail:
- Received notification Tue 1/12 10:12PM via WiFi that my S90D in California had an update available
- 90% charge via my HPWC completed after midnight
- Started update today at 2:38AM (yes, I'm a crazy person) with estimated 1 hr 40 min duration, while still plugged into HPWC
- Update to V7.1 2.9.154 complete at 3:35AM (57 minutes elapsed)

- Tracker updated
- No release notes differences from previously disclosed versions
- No difference in Rated Range pre or post update -- time may tell a different story

FWIW, just returned from first short set of errands with 7.1. I may have missed the observation somewhere earlier in this thread with all our sometimes extensive off-topic banter ;), but it really seems the AutoPilot graphic is displaying it's perceived lane much better than before on surface streets I frequent. Whereas previous displays simply showed my toy car without recognition of it's lane on many of the surface streets around my neighborhood, it's showing the grey/black lines a lot more than it used to. Perhaps just better graphical representation, or maybe more.

FWIW, just returned from first short set of errands with 7.1. I may have missed the observation somewhere earlier in this thread with all our sometimes extensive off-topic banter ;), but it really seems the AutoPilot graphic is displaying it's perceived lane much better than before on surface streets I frequent. Whereas previous displays simply showed my toy car without recognition of it's lane on many of the surface streets around my neighborhood, it's showing the grey/black lines a lot more than it used to. Perhaps just better graphical representation, or maybe more.

It shouldn't be just better graphical representation.

The lines being visible is an indication that Auto-Steer Beta can be enabled, because the system "sees" enough to enable it. When the lines are not visible, Auto-Steer Beta can't be enabled. So if you are seeing the lane marking lines in places you didn't before, that would be an indication that Auto-Steer Beta is available in places it wasn't before.

Put simply, that would be a very strong indication that the software has improved.

did you miss the part where it said BETA? it is far from perfect but it is pretty damned awesome for a first step
Did you miss the part where I was happy with 7.0, and 7.1 is a itsy bitsy tiny step forward, and a gigantic leap backwards?

We all signed up for improvements over time, we did not sign up for limitations added with time.

Telling me removing features is fine "because beta" or telling me that I should update "because Tesla intends it" are not going to convince me to remove features I enjoy now.

If you want to convince me to update, convince me that I'm gaining more than I'm losing. So far it sounds like that is nowhere near the case.

Alright folks, I've upgraded to 7.1 overnight and took a few videos on my commute to work this morning :biggrin:
Update took just about an hour, but I fell asleep before it was done.

Ev-fw.com tracker updated with "California" tag at Dirk's request.

Impressions in the video comments below!

AutoPilot improvements & UI changes

Truck & side lane indication in IC

Perpendicular parking

And of course, summon!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to convince me to update, convince me that I'm gaining more than I'm losing. So far it sounds like that is nowhere near the case.

It's a judgement call. AP did get noticeably better with 7.1. It also stopped trying to take the exit at highways. Summon is kinda cool, but overall useless.

Is that worth the addition of a nag and +5 speed limit restrictions on secondary roads? That's a personal decision.

TBH If I knew about the nag, I likely would have waited to upgrade. But I mainly use AP on roadtrips, so I have yet to see how much better/more annoying it'll be in it's primary use case for me.

The problem is that the AP in 7.0 is better. So 7.1 is a clear downgrade.

That's not a good direction to take for Tesla....
Except for requiring you to hold the wheel more often (which you should be doing anyway, as this is beta software), 7.1 is definitely an improvement over 7.0. It's not perfect, but it's better than 7.0 and I'm sure 7.2 will be better yet.

Did you miss the part where I was happy with 7.0, and 7.1 is a itsy bitsy tiny step forward, and a gigantic leap backwards?
We all signed up for improvements over time, we did not sign up for limitations added with time.
Telling me removing features is fine "because beta" or telling me that I should update "because Tesla intends it" are not going to convince me to remove features I enjoy now.

You never "had" it in the first place. Nothing removed. The text is 100% clear on that.

I’m confused why people think they should be removing their hands entirely from the wheel. The notes are pretty clear!!!
Quote: “Autosteer [beta] is a hands-on feature.
You must keep your hands [lightly] on the steering wheel at all times.”

Image: http://i.imgur.com/MuyqaZ5.png

MuyqaZ5.png

It shouldn't be just better graphical representation.

The lines being visible is an indication that Auto-Steer Beta can be enabled, because the system "sees" enough to enable it. When the lines are not visible, Auto-Steer Beta can't be enabled. So if you are seeing the lane marking lines in places you didn't before, that would be an indication that Auto-Steer Beta is available in places it wasn't before.

Put simply, that would be a very strong indication that the software has improved.

Hummm. Very good point. Hadn't thought about that, but clearly remember how often there were no lines shown in the myriad of subdivisions around here. Thanks. I'll pay more attention to it when I go out for a jaunt in a little while.