Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, after multiple updates that I didn't get (was still on 2.16.17 as of yesterday), I finally got updated to 2.20.45 and the reverse gps location is still reporting incorrectly (affects location as reported by Tesla app, API and garage auto-open/close position)

FWIW: I am seeing the same thing. The biggest issue is when the auto-close dialog kicks in before i start backing in. I never reach the point where the door gets opened because the car thinks i am moving away. The distance to open value increases as I back towards the door.

I was just out driving trying to reproduce what I am talking about. When going say 35mph and you want to slow down, as soon as I pull off the accelerator, FULL Regen kicks in, MUCH stronger than in an ICE and using just the brake, which you can moderate and slow down much more evenly. And if I try to feather the accelerator to slow down slower and not hit regen, I can't slow down fast enough for the stop sign or turn or whatever reason one needs to slow down.

I get what you are saying Hank, but for me, I don't experience this. When I don't want full regen, I modulate how much I let go of the throttle. I rarely let it go completely for full regen to kick in. So when I'm driving my S85 without the + suspension (in case those make a difference), one wouldn't tell if I was modulating the throttle for easy regen vs. putting it in neutral and using the brake pedal.

Last edited:
First, the + has nothing to do with it. Second, put it in neutral? Are you serious? That's not only remarkably unsafe, it's illegal is most states.

But you've actually proved my point -- "putting it in neutral" is effectively the exact same as "zero regen" because at that point, the motor is not involved. So if you're comparing driving an ICE car+braking to driving a MS in neutral+braking, yes, they are identical.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with my point. You simply can not drive the MS without engaging regen 100% of the time, unless you also use both feet (also illegal in many/most jurisdictions) and press both pedals at the same time, at which point the car will also yell at you for such foolishness.

Yes, you can modulate the level of regen with your foot. But it's impossible to eliminate it completely at any speed >10mph, as everyone knows, as soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator to hit the brakes, full regen is activated. As I've recommended three times already, just go out and try it, and I'm sure you'll experience this. Make sure you have the regen meter in the dash so you can actually see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richg
one wouldn't tell if I was modulating the throttle for easy regen

Yes, on a single case-by-case basis, you can modulate the regen by modulating the throttle.. but what if you had to slow down much more suddenly than you expected? Or were going too fast to stop at a light? Or approaching a curve too fast? Or of someone cut you off on the highway? In every scenario, it doesn't matter how much you modulate the throttle, you're going to have to either come off the throttle entirely (activating full regen to slow down), and possibly hit the brakes to slow down even more. In either case, full regen was activated, regardless of your good intentions of not.

Last edited:
I don't think Cyclone meant that he put the car in neutral, rather that an onlooker or passenger wouldn't be able to tell whether he was in N or he was modulating the throttle, given that the feeling is similar.
First, the + has nothing to do with it. Second, put it in neutral? Are you serious? That's not only remarkably unsafe, it's illegal is most states.

But you've actually proved my point -- "putting it in neutral" is effectively the exact same as "zero regen" because at that point, the motor is not involved. So if you're comparing driving an ICE car+braking to driving a MS in neutral+braking, yes, they are identical.

<snip>

I don't think Cyclone meant that he put the car in neutral, rather that an onlooker or passenger wouldn't be able to tell whether he was in N or he was modulating the throttle, given that the feeling is similar.

Ok, but I still maintain, that for someone in the car with an extreme sensory issues, it's not possible to mask the regen by moderating the throttle 100% of the time.

I'm not saying it can't be done in short spurts.. I'm saying it can't be done 100% of the time when driving the car in order to essentially eliminate regen, or as my original post suggested, just being able to turn it off as needed.

Reactions: BertL and JenniferQ
I hope this is my last word on the subject... Someone posted the question "why would anyone want zero regen" and I posted an actual real world example why. For him, regen causes carsickness, and there is no way to completely eliminate regen 100% of the time. Those are facts. So I don't know why some of you are dead set on telling me I'm full of crap and what we experience is not real.

Yes, you can modulate the level of regen with your foot. But it's impossible to eliminate it completely at any speed >10mph, as everyone knows, as soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator to hit the brakes, full regen is activated. As I've recommended three times already, just go out and try it, and I'm sure you'll experience this. Make sure you have the regen meter in the dash so you can actually see it.
You complaint is about having to modulate regen with one foot. The corollary is that, without regen on the accelerator pedal, you don't have to modulate. But that is exactly what everyone has been doing driving a non-cruise control car for the past 100 years. You modulate the accelerator to control your speed, including acceleration and deceleration. Are you telling me you drive by pressing the accelerator to get up to speed, then letting completely off to slow down, then do it again? That sound like a recipe for getting a dog sick.

Last edited:
2.20.30 This morning, in stop & go, a lady blinkered between herself and my distance to the car in front. AP was on, and she even waved a thank you as she pulled in between the more "inviting" distance the Tesla now follows behind. Car length was set to lowest (1), and it seems to gap wider at slower speeds. I wouldn't call this an improvement, because I expect more manual interrupts as people move in on me. Tesla's notes say nothing, but I think the crash in Europe and its timing says a lot.
Tesla Model S Crashes Into Back Of Van As Adaptive Cruise Control Fails To Stop Car - Video

I have the MS-85D, and I just downloaded & installed 2.20.30, wonder what gives. The release note saud Summon "when activating by parking stalk, choose diection". This was the same notes for 2.18.77

FWIW IMHO, even if I'm paying a lot of attention to my foot control, my MS and TACC is more abrupt when slowing/stopping

I find TACC executes the final stop better than I can, most of the time. It proves what I suspect, that Tesla needs to give drivers better mechanical access to achieve a smoother manual stop. I've wondered if it's brake pad material (less bite) that could help this, or something more involved. But if TACC can successfully modulate brake application, than somehow giving drivers an easier way to do it would, at least, make me believe I was in a smoother car. It seems like the low battery weight, in relation to the strut towers, makes the Model S easily get into a rocking motion if your braking isn't just right.

You complaint is about having to modulate regen with one foot. The corollary is that, without regen on the accelerator pedal, you don't have to modulate. But that is exactly what everyone has been doing driving a non-cruise control car for the past 100 years. You modulate the accelerator to control your speed, including acceleration and deceleration. Are you telling me you drive by pressing the accelerator to get up to speed, then letting completely off to slow down, then do it again? That sound like a recipe for getting a dog sick.

No, "feathering" to me means slowly accelerating and lightly letting off the go pedal not "letting completely off". At least that's how I do it and it works.

Reactions: JenniferQ
No, "feathering" to me means slowly accelerating and lightly letting off the go pedal not "letting completely off". At least that's how I do it and it works.

I totally agree. Although new to the S (going on 3 months) with a little practice and effort it is easy to use the accelerator pedal to slowly and smoothly decelerate the S. You drive it to a stop as it were.

Regarding dogs... they can HEAR things we cannot in frequencies which we are unable to hear. Perhaps the dog(s) in question are really NOT car sick but rather some noise that the Model S emits is in their hearing range and not ours.... and the noise is not painful but rather is uncomfortable... Just wondering... many animals can hear things outside of the human hearing spectrum. When I was young, our boxer would know my Dad was coming home from work when his car was 3 blocks away! And the car was essentially very quiet to all of us.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone and Lex
Using neutral is easy and perfectly safe. Did it all the time in prius to hypermile and did it for a while in tesla out of habit until I realized hypermiling is a waste of time with elec so cheap.

I suspect that people making their passengers and dogs sick need to better modulate the accel pedal to stay closer to the coasting midpoint btw faster and slower. New tesla drivers don't get this and have more of a binary on off use of the accel pedal.