Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have to assume that, since AP was/is an advertised, explicitly paid for feature, Tesla Motors will not disable the feature you paid for or 1) they'll need to write a lot of people a check for the difference and/or 2) buy back the cars of people who ask as they did not deliver as promised (note what VW is going through right now with their diesel disaster).

Haha. Tesla keeping promises. That's a quaint idea. Be assured, they will do what's they think is best for future sales. A rollback is by no means out of the question.

I would have to assume that, since AP was/is an advertised, explicitly paid for feature, Tesla Motors will not disable the feature you paid for or 1) they'll need to write a lot of people a check for the difference and/or 2) buy back the cars of people who ask as they did not deliver as promised (note what VW is going through right now with their diesel disaster).
Lookup what happened with Smart Air Suspension in 2013 after a media freakout about a car hitting a tow hook. Tesla admitted that even though chances of it happening again were astronomical, they still disabled it to show that they are proactively doing something. They never put that in any release notes, nor even admitted they are doing it on purpose when the first few owners contacted them about why Air Suspension doesn't work anymore while driving (it worked while parked and raised back up when driving) - this is so people don't skip the update. I asked for a refund of my Air Suspension and all I got back is "sorry, we don't do that". I came close to declaring my car a lemon as it was brand new and service center couldn't " fix" the air suspension which under my state law would qualify as a lemon car. SAS got re-enabled months later after the titanium plate retrofit. Bottom line, it is not at all unlikely that given enough media pressure, Tesla will disable auto-pilot, pretend they don't know what happened, then tell you they are working on a solution with some deadline they are going to blow by months.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lex and Matias
Now, when the firmware is downloaded the server tries to make a binary patch for the car based on the current version its running if the version delta isn't too great. This saves some bandwidth. But when the patch is applied the resulting image is the same as every S/X with that version.

Thanks.

It's kinda funny because this is probably how it was explained a few months ago by one of the two or three people that are intimately aware of how the updates are done. After a few months those of us that simply read about it forget the fine detail. Like I forgot that's it's the patch that's different and not the build. Not a good thing to forget in a forum full of software people. :)

To me that wasn't the important part of what I was trying to to convey. What I was trying to convey is the server is triggered to send an update (by a request from the car), and that the update contents would be different from one car to the next. My understanding is the update patch is built on demand.

I was trying to support the argument that it was theoretically possible for the update priority to be higher at the service center. Where a firmware request that originated at a service center wifi could have a higher priority than a request that originated elsewhere.

I was told that every car gets the same full download, then the car extracts the particular version for it.

In terms of believing something 100% that's related to firmware of the car there are only two people to believe.

There is WK057, and Ingineer

Is there is anyone else that should be added to the whitelist for firmware content/update-method?

I'm on the greylist so only believe half the stuff I say.

That wasn't the case for Hong Kong owners. They had it disabled for a while due to government then had it reenabled later on.

It's software so, theoretically, anything is possible. There could be code that recognizes particular VINs and does something entirely different for each one. Choices could be made at random. Choices could depend on the phase of the moon. In theory, they could do anything at all.

It was really about addressing one phenomenon that people were experiencing. Something that seemed like it wasn't a random event. Where I was trying to explain that it was likely the intended behavior and this is how they likely did it.

As to software I would recommend never saying "anything is possible" to a software developer. :)

i'm a hardware engineer so I just chuckle at it.

Last edited:
Just finished installing 2.28.19. Surprise! Nothing new in the release notes. Didn't notice any changes, but haven't driven it yet.
Try summoning with your key fob.

Summon-by-fob went away after this am's update. UPDATE: The setting requiring continuous keypress was toggled "ON" by the update. Setting it to "OFF" solved the issue.

Last edited:
Possibly just a coincidence, but I got a very early forward collision warning today after having installed the 2.28.19 update last night. Driving along at 35 mph and a car braking about 50 yards ahead of me set off the warning. I have it set to early, but I've never had it warn me that early!

It was off before the update. Update changed the setting.

Stuff like this would be very helpful to see in release notes whenever they change a setting back to default or otherwise change its meaning.

Probably not intentional. In fact, I think a previous release did the same thing.

As for the early collision warning, I'm set to "early" to and that has happened to me periodically before this release--probably not something new.

It was off before the update. Update changed the setting.

Stuff like this would be very helpful to see in release notes whenever they change a setting back to default or otherwise change its meaning.

And easily gleanable from regression testing notes. Presuming that their QA teams are not the redheaded stepchildren of the organization as is often the case, and that sufficient regression testing is in fact being done. Even smoke testing would catch some of this stuff, but by then it's a little late.

For all of the silly FUD put forth as an excuse for why release/change notes are not given, there's a huge (dare I say potentially yuuuuuuge) amount of liability in *not* keeping your customers in the loop when the UI is changed out from under them.

Reactions: PaulusdB
And easily gleanable from regression testing notes. Presuming that their QA teams are not the redheaded stepchildren of the organization as is often the case, and that sufficient regression testing is in fact being done. Even smoke testing would catch some of this stuff, but by then it's a little late.

For all of the silly FUD put forth as an excuse for why release/change notes are not given, there's a huge (dare I say potentially yuuuuuuge) amount of liability in *not* keeping your customers in the loop when the UI is changed out from under them.
Before you all go blaming Tesla you should know my setting of "off" didn't change with this update. So maybe not everyone had this problem?