Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this may make you even more paranoid - when Tesla disabled auto-pilot in Hong Kong last year they did it without users agreeing to the update, just happened overnight without any user confirmation. I think they got it back recently, but the point is Tesla has a backdoor today so they can update without your permission (maybe a result of people refusing SAS updates after SAS disabling in 2013?). If Tesla decides to disable AP in the US, it will likely happen the way it happened in Hong Kong.
That's a good point. In my upgrade paranoia I thought a post-accident upgrade might be the back door, but I guess it's already there. But I still have reasons one (recent updates seem as likely to slightly reduce as to increase functionality) and two (a protest vote over the absence of documentation, where even comments like "bug fixes" or "fine-tuning algorithms" would be worthwhile).

For the group: how is 2.28.19 working out? I see that in discussion in this thread

New update this am....

there is talk of AP being a little less stable in lane keeping, but it doesn't seem conclusive. Also, does it really come with release notes saying "this release contains minor fixes and improvements"? If it does, that takes away one of my gripes.
So the release notes don't tell you what you need to know, that's shocking.
I only used Autosteer for a few minutes (not on the freeway) and it was bouncing around yesterday. I'm not a big fan of AS so I haven't tested again yet.

For the group: how is 2.28.19 working out? I see that in discussion in this thread

New update this am....

there is talk of AP being a little less stable in lane keeping, but it doesn't seem conclusive. Also, does it really come with release notes saying "this release contains minor fixes and improvements"? If it does, that takes away one of my gripes.
Per my old post in this thread back around post #3424 ;), 2.28.19 contains the same graphic and brief description of the Summon Stalk/CID change in current release notes as I received before.

I'm really trying to be polite and helpful here: I think you just need to chill out a bit... You have a concern something may be taken away from you, which is fine, so just hang out for a few days until the dust settles, do some more scanning here and make your choice to accept or not. Tesla will never specify every little thing that changes, so it's a discovery process that takes time -- with many dot releases never seeming to have any identified difference that is noticeable or can be clearly articulated beyond supposition by multiple people in this community. Even if this release was the big 8.0, it may take days/weeks for the community to identify nuances -- some that will surely cause controversy or concern for some. So, IMHO, for folks that like being first, great, but with that comes the potential of accepting some change that isn't quite up to your desire. For owners that are more risk adverse for whatever reason, I think they should all give it several days at least, sit back, let others be first, see if there is consensus, then make their own decision to update. Good luck. Happy driving in that MS!

New update this am....

I found it a little more abrupt in changes. For example, finding itself on the edge of a lane and centering too quickly.

Well, this may make you even more paranoid - when Tesla disabled auto-pilot in Hong Kong last year they did it without users agreeing to the update, just happened overnight without any user confirmation. I think they got it back recently, but the point is Tesla has a backdoor today so they can update without your permission (maybe a result of people refusing SAS updates after SAS disabling in 2013?). If Tesla decides to disable AP in the US, it will likely happen the way it happened in Hong Kong.
Well, then I guess I can't remove the full-body tinfoil wrap from my car just yet! ;)

just hang out for a few days until the dust settles, do some more scanning here and make your choice to accept or not. Tesla will never specify every little thing that changes, so it's a discovery process that takes time -- with many dot releases never seeming to have any identified difference that is noticeable or can be clearly articulated beyond supposition by multiple people in this community. Even if this release was the big 8.0, it may take days/weeks for the community to identify nuances -- some that will surely cause controversy or concern for some. So, IMHO, for folks that like being first, great, but with that comes the potential of accepting some change that isn't quite up to your desire. For owners that are more risk adverse for whatever reason, I think they should all give it several days at least, sit back, let others be first, see if there is consensus, then make their own decision to update. Good luck. Happy driving in that MS!

I completely agree with you. That is my plan.

New update this am....

I drove 150+ mostly freeway miles and noticed nothing different. AP performed as previous which is great on well marked roadways and less so on worn-out markings, crumbling pavement and freeways under construction with lots of re-striping over re-striping. The update notes were the exact same as the prior release which noted the utilization changes of Summon.

Made the update during last night from 2.20.45 to 2.28.19
Release notes: Bug fixes only.
Check that I'm from Canada and from day-1 with Summon, I can only use it with the phone app.

Something strange with this new release: my 3G connection crashed 3 times this morning only... usually, it crashed maybe once a month or so....

Check that I'm from Canada and from day-1 with Summon, I can only use it with the phone app.

Something strange with this new release: my 3G connection crashed 3 times this morning only... usually, it crashed maybe once a month or so....
Try rebooting (Hold down the brake; Push both control wheels and hold all of that until the "T" appears on the CID -- unsure if that process makes a real difference, but it's how I was directed to do it by the 800# when I called them). When I had a similar LTE problem a number of releases ago (last year), that resolved my issue. If it does not resolve your problem, get a hold of Tesla Service. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: msnow
Try rebooting (Hold down the brake; Push both control wheels and hold all of that until the "T" appears on the CID -- unsure if that process makes a real difference, but it's how I was directed to do it by the 800# when I called them). When I had a similar LTE problem a number of releases ago (last year), that resolved my issue. If it does not resolve your problem, get a hold of Tesla Service. Good luck.
Is holding down the brake a safety thing or?

Might be Canadian thing - totally lost my 3G twice last night, and rebooting didn't help. Had to resort to the old iPhone Personal Hotspot....

Strange thing: my P85D, which is currently at the service center and is finally being upgraded to Ludicrous after sitting in there lot for over 2 weeks, was only upgraded to 2.24.102, while the P90DL loaner I have got an update last night to 2.28.19 (it was on 2.20.45 till then). The only release notes showed the update to Summon when double-tapping P on the gear stalk.

Is holding down the brake a safety thing or?
Since none of it is documented by Tesla, it may be a secret handshake. ;)

Then again, some have suggested in various threads that the additional brake hold-down and "wait for the T" enables some sort of more robust reboot. IDK that for a fact, and have never seen more than supposition here on TMC regarding it that I believe to be credible. When I queried the Tesla 800# about it, they said the sequence they suggested was important. Since it happened shortly after I took delivery, and it worked better than the simpler "hold both buttons until reboot" I had found in TMC threads and tried multiple times without success, I was too much of a noobie to ask more questions. Now, that more complete process is what I generally follow if I'm parked even though my perception is it takes a few more moments to accomplish. Only when I need to reboot while driving -- generally because of an Infotainment oddity -- Oh Hum -- do I use the short-hand on-the-fly reboot process. (I could draw analogies how I occasionally used one of a couple different IPL sequences that took different amounts of time and did slightly different things reloading/refreshing parts of firmware before reloading the OS in my IBM mainframe days, but hey, that would date me way too much and most of the young 'uns reading this wouldn't care what I was talking about anyway. :rolleyes:)