Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon...

Elon Musk on Twitter

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 12.26.35 PM.png

While I'd love to see kernel update, UI improvements and fixes to media player and nav, I think AP2 and Model 3 are understandable total eclipse priorities.
Don't forget sketch pad! Much needed feature! I'm shocked Musk didn't hold a news conference about it... should have called it "The end of artistic anxiety". I'm even more shocked that it wasn't released as a beta...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Don't forget sketch pad! Much needed feature! I'm shocked Musk didn't hold a news conference about it... should have called it "The end of artistic anxiety". I'm even more shocked that it wasn't released as a beta...
There's nothing in this world that keeps software engineers engaged like letting them have some fun and do something creative once in a while. We may see these Easter eggs as misappropriation of development time, but I suspect they pay huge dividend in morale. Nobody works more hours than software engineers. Let them have a LITTLE fun.

There's nothing in this world that keeps software engineers engaged like letting them have some fun and do something creative once in a while. We may see these Easter eggs as misappropriation of development time, but I suspect they pay huge dividend in morale. Nobody works more hours than software engineers. Let them have a LITTLE fun.
I'm sorry, when they've failed to fix major media player bugs outstanding since 2012 and introduced multiple additional regressions in the media player, which are also not fixed... no, they don't get to have fun. When they've actually done a minimally acceptable job, THEN they can go have fun. Work first, play second, at least that's how I was raised.

Right now, it's just an insult to owners and a demonstration of a lack of commitment to a quality product. If their morale is low, they can quit -- given their inability to fix bugs and ability to introduce new bugs, that might be just as well. Maybe Tesla can hire someone who's capable of programming a media player with equivalent functionality to what I had on my computer in 1998.

Perhaps I'm being unfair to the programmers. We don't know whether they're the problem, or whether it's management who's telling them to write "sketch pad" code instead of fixing the media player bugs.

If management wants to actually fix the media bugs... well, I'm pretty sure I could fix them within six months because they are *not difficult*, but Tesla probably wouldn't agree to my contract terms. They could hire any of thousands of other programmers who are competent to fix these bugs, though. This tells me that management is probably the problem.

Last edited:
I don't believe it's nonsense when, after an upgrade, songs that played fine from the USB previously now play a bit and then skip back to the beginning. I will say that the media player is now better than it was:

1. It now uses artwork that from the file rather than trying to find artwork over the net.
2. Equalizer now has five ranges rather than three.
3. ISO characters are recognized.

That's three major fixes. Of course, they have a long way to go:

1. Songs with ISO characters shouldn't just be lumped into a "misc" category after "z".
2. The skipping should be fixed (this is a fairly new bug).
3. Albums should be kept together (I have some where the same album is spread out over many albums).
4. The song listing should indicate whether it is a favourite or not so that when they delete all the favourites, it's easier to get them back.
5. More playlists than just favourites should be available.
6. A star rating system where songs with more stars get more plays than songs with fewer stars.
7. The low contrast is still hard (almost impossible) to read when it's bright out.

I understand your point, but when there have been glaring and obvious bugs (see Infotainment) or a severe and embarrassing lack of features and functionality (see Navigation and Trip Planner), there is zero need for "fun". They can go outside and smoke a joint, or take a nap, or watch TV, I don't care... but wasting WASTING software development resources to create absolutely useless crap while ignoring obvious software issues is an insult.
They could hire any of thousands of other programmers who are competent to fix these bugs, though. This tells me that management is probably the problem.
Ding ding ding! :) We have a winner! The biggest problem is Musk himself, clearly. He actually tweeted instructions on how to access this most amazing Sketch Pad easter egg, thereby showing how proud he was of the "feature". If I were on the Tesla Board of Directors, I'd be planning a way to replace Musk with someone who actually has an ounce of management capability, doesn't shoot his mouth off incessantly making promises he knows his organization cannot keep, and someone who actually cares about putting out a quality product and knows how to get that done.

Last edited:
I understand your point, but when there have been glaring and obvious bugs (see Infotainment) or a severe and embarrassing lack of features and functionality (see Navigation and Trip Planner), there is zero need for "fun". They can go outside and smoke a joint, or take a nap, or watch TV, I don't care... but wasting WASTING software development resources to create absolutely useless crap while ignoring obvious software issues is an insult.

Ding ding ding! :) We have a winner! The biggest problem is Musk himself, clearly. He actually tweeted instructions on how to access this most amazing Sketch Pad easter egg, thereby showing how proud he was of the "feature". If I were on the Tesla Board of Directors, I'd be planning a way to replace Musk with someone who actually has an ounce of management capability, doesn't shoot his mouth off incessantly making promises he knows his organization cannot keep, and someone who actually cares about putting out a quality product and knows how to get that done.
You gotta take the good with the bad. Without musk, Tesla would not likely exist, and would certainly not be about to launch their 4th car with 400k pre orders. It's the curse of the visionary... not always great on details. There will come a day for a boring corporate wonk, but not yet. Not even close.

It's one of the problems with big companies. Either there is a visionary at the helm who does just what you say, or the bean counters (aka professional managers) take over. This is is even worse because bean counters only know how to cut costs--mostly by firing the more competent people (who typically have the highest salaries) and/or by making the product cheaper by reducing quality. (There is nothing that can't be made cheaper by making the product or service a little worse.) They also kill innovation because real innovation takes many tries before a success is achieved and so can't be cost justified in the current fiscal period.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
severe and embarrassing lack of features and functionality
I'll tell you a quick story about a trip planner/nav system that had a not-quite severe and embarrassing lack of features and functionality. It was a paper map I got from AAA in the '90s where they'd drawn a highlighter across my route. Thing is, it was pretty functional overall.

I would have really enjoyed one that could search for destinations by voice, change routes on the fly, and use GPS to show my location on a real-time Google map. While there are definitely bugs and improvements due to navigation, "severe and embarrassing lack of features and functionality" is the kind of hyperbole that makes it difficult to take a post seriously.