Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the concerns here involves the competition. I think when the Model S came out in 2012, everyone gave them a pass on any number of deficiencies around the UI, panel fitment, NVH, interior quality, etc. Now, we are 5 years later and while Tesla has upgraded some things (like seats) and added Autopilot (now in gen 2ish), they haven't really progressed in those other areas and the competition is slowly closing in. It's almost fortunate for Tesla that Chevy decided to make, well, a Chevy as their long range EV car instead of rolling out a Cadillac version...the latter combined with Supercrusise could have been a bit of an "oh cr*p" moment for Tesla. Right now they still have the lead in terms of big battery cruisers, but they simply have to invest in some of the finer details of automobile manufacturing...they can't ride the "autopilot" train exclusively.

• Love
Reactions: David99
One of the concerns here involves the competition. I think when the Model S came out in 2012, everyone gave them a pass on any number of deficiencies around the UI, panel fitment, NVH, interior quality, etc. Now, we are 5 years later and while Tesla has upgraded some things (like seats) and added Autopilot (now in gen 2ish), they haven't really progressed in those other areas and the competition is slowly closing in.
Really? What competition is there for the Model S that is closing in?

...Now, we are 5 years later and while Tesla has upgraded some things (like seats) and added Autopilot (now in gen 2ish), they haven't really progressed in those other areas and the competition is slowly closing in...
Having a 2012 P85 and 2017 90D Model S, I am pleased to report that many improvements have been made that surprised me. The 2017 is quieter, has a finer luxury ride and dual drive is dreamy. They have incorporated the best of Model X while avoiding the bothersome auto opening doors and taped on door seals. With plenty of power, I am not missing the performance motor. There are a few quirks that remain (like loose driver door plastic trim) but overall I am very pleased with all the hardware improvements. The 2012 has the latest dash/touchscreen interface 5 years later. The human factors consistency across years of production is a great reason to purchase a new or previously owned Tesla electric vehicle.

Last edited:
Still on 2.52.22, why am I not getting any updates since Jan 12th? Anyone else still stuck back at least a few updates like me??
It sometimes takes Tesla many weeks to roll out upgrades to everyone, and they are not quick about pushing the third octet type of upgrade. I just received 8.1 this morning. Too bad the last two updates needed to be fussed with at the end of the process to make them usable. (The upgrades finish with "Car needs software upgrade. Contact Tesla Service.")

Really? What competition is there for the Model S that is closing in?

Most of the Euro makes appear to be launching luxury EVs in the 2018-2021 time frame. While that may seem like it is a long way, in "auto years" it is right around the corner (in Elon time, it is "next quarter"). The Tesla advantages I see in that time window are likely better autonomous driving (assuming they can continue to flush out AP2) and supercharging. The latter may turn out to be more critical than the former if the rest of the industry can't figure out how to make high(er) speed fast charging a reality beyond SCs. OTA updates are coming to other automakers and honestly, w/o new hardware, a lot of it (from Tesla) - sans autopilot - has been "meh" anyway .

Everything else I see as either a wash or a possible advantage for the other car makers. Heck, even the dreaded "dealers" we all bemoan could be viewed as an advantage for the traditional makes. Within 3 miles of my house I have at least a dozen - proximity is a huge advantage to buyers. Tesla service is probably better than most, but still hit or miss and the "backlog" issue continues to be a concern.

• Helpful
Reactions: gaswalla
Having a 2012 P85 and 2017 90D Model S, I am pleased to report that many improvements have been made that surprised me. The 2017 is quieter, has a finer luxury ride and dual drive is dreamy. They have incorporated the best of Model X while avoiding the bothersome auto opening doors and taped on door seals. With plenty of power, I am not missing the performance motor. There are a few quirks that remain (like loose driver door plastic trim) but overall I am very pleased with all the hardware improvements. The 2012 has the latest dash/touchscreen interface 5 years later. The human factors consistency across years of production is a great reason to purchase a new or previously owned Tesla electric vehicle.

I do think later models are quieter so that's fair, but it really seems like they are quieter in comparison to early model Ses as opposed to being as quiet or quieter than a similarly priced luxury car from Mercedes, Lexus, etc. The ride quality is still a bit of a conundrum as well per the recent "rough ride" thread - I honestly can't tell if they are all like that or if there is a quality/consistency issue going on here (these were late models). I think I am derailing this thread a bit since it is really about the software - sorry!

I do think later models are quieter so that's fair, but it really seems like they are quieter in comparison to early model Ses as opposed to being as quiet or quieter than a similarly priced luxury car from Mercedes, Lexus, etc. The ride quality is still a bit of a conundrum as well per the recent "rough ride" thread - I honestly can't tell if they are all like that or if there is a quality/consistency issue going on here (these were late models). I think I am derailing this thread a bit since it is really about the software - sorry!
Bear in mind that about 40% of the price is the battery, so there's not as much wiggle room to do other things.

8.1 is finally here for us Classics.
v17.11.10
We get Favorite Radio Stations, Ratings & Open Hours, Voice Command update & most importantly doodler screen...
IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122 (1).jpg

Most of the Euro makes appear to be launching luxury EVs in the 2018-2021 time frame. While that may seem like it is a long way, in "auto years" it is right around the corner (in Elon time, it is "next quarter").
Do you realize how much improvement Tesla will make between now and 2018-2021? Tesla isn't going to be standing still when other companies come out with models that try to compete with what Tesla made a few years earlier.

Do you realize how much improvement Tesla will make between now and 2018-2021? Tesla isn't going to be standing still when other companies come out with models that try to compete with what Tesla made a few years earlier.

Agreed, but Tesla's focus appears to be on AP and just getting another car out there (Model 3 and possibly Model Y). All this "little stuff" makes a difference too once the competition arrives. It's been 5 years since the Model S was launched and I would guess many folks would have believed several of the areas of deficiency would have been addressed by now in that 5 year window.

Except that Tesla HAS been standing still for the last four years in terms of initial quality, quality control, basic features present in other vehicles, etc. What makes you think they are somehow going to magically change?

...quieter than a similarly priced luxury car...
Maybe not. However, I was extremely surprised when driving the 2017 90D on a noisy rough concrete freeway at 65 mph and got sound readings of 70 dBA.That is about where the 2009 Escalade was and is quieter than the 2012 MS P85 at 76 to 78 dBA or the P90DL MX at 74 to 76 dBA. Everyone's readings are going to be different due to tires, wheels, freeway condition and how the sound reading is taken.