Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 8.0 yesterday. After a day of using it, here are my first impressions:

Good things:
TACC seems smoother
I like the new UI, especially the map enhancements
media app layout is nice

Bad things:
autosteer still under-performs relative to previous versions (7.1.2.28.19 is where my car started losing proficiency)
twice I've had AP disabled with no audible warning
more nags
one instance of media app refusing to play music from my phone

Overall, I like the redesign, but autosteer, generally, is getting worse as time goes by. At least in my car, lane keeping ability peaked at whatever version was just before 2.28.19 and has gotten much less capable since then. I'm also concerned about the lack of audible warning before disengaging and disabling AP. I have never ignored a nag before, but I usually don't see it. I am always watching the road, so I don't tug the wheel (usually hand is on the bottom of the wheel, but exerting no force) until it cuts the music and beeps. In 8.0, it has disabled AP several times without cutting the music or beeping. I just get angry red screen and AP disabled message. Honestly, I think it's much more dangerous the way it is now, but obviously, Tesla's lawyers don't agree. Has Elon said whether the nags will ever go away? Is that just a permanent part of AP with 1.0 hardware? Anyhoo, the car is still great, but I hope more AP improvements are coming in the future. Oh, one more thing. It's silly, I know, but I don't like that they took the little pictures out of the trip graphic in the small screen. It looks a little too blah now.

Reactions: Wanderer
What you see on the main page is only the reports from those who have gotten 8.0, not everyone who has registered on that site.

Currently Displaying Reports for Version 8.0 -- 357 Owners reporting on 359 cars with 369 Updates.

If you click on 7.1, you can see that the 8.0 reports represent only about a third of those who had 7.1:

Currently Displaying Reports for Version 7.1 -- 962 Owners reporting on 1011 cars with 5094 Updates.

(FWIW, I am in the US and have not yet been offered 8.0. However, given the bug reports about the new media player cutting off songs before they finish, and not being able to browse a USB media source, I think I'd rather wait for those issues to be fixed first.)
I don't know if you can compare the 7.x results to 8.0. @HankLloydRight or @dirkhh know much better than I but it could be a result of less people participating and comparing U.S. only to worldwide data.

With V8, I've noticed that the media player automatically reacquires a connection with my iPhone when I get back into the car and picks up playing where I left off. Under prior versions, I had to reconnect to the phone every time I got back into the car. One positive for the new media player...

Reactions: Lex
Has anyone noticed that you cannot change the account you use for streaming any longer? Or have I just not found it? It used to be under the "Apps" area, now all that you see there is the calendar and map "Apps"
You can with TuneIn and there is a place on Slacker to enter credentials but I can't get the tesla ID/password to work. To see it you should make MP full screen and scroll to the bottom of the page.

My understanding is that the problem wasn't limited to 8.0 and wasn't limited to using the navigation. It impacted almost anyone driving during the time that Tesla was providing bad data to the cars. (At least that is our assumption, and what people have said has happened in the past.)
Has anyone noticed that you cannot change the account you use for streaming any longer? Or have I just not found it? It used to be under the "Apps" area, now all that you see there is the calendar and map "Apps"
I had to search around for the login information. It is no longer under "apps" in settings. It is now within the media player itself. I forget exactly how to get to it, but it's there.

Reactions: Lightmatrix
I haven't tried messing with the log in credentials but I assume the Tesla credentials are working or I wouldn't be able to skip as many songs as I like nor call up individual songs "on demand" - I don't think either of those work with Slacker "free" accounts, no?

Mike
No you're right. The one I was interested in was the 320 Kbps, highest quality setting. In the old UI you could set it, in this one you don't have a visual indicator. Maybe Tesla defaulted everyone to 320.

I don't know if you can compare the 7.x results to 8.0. @HankLloydRight or @dirkhh know much better than I but it could be a result of less people participating and comparing U.S. only to worldwide data.

It's definitely not less people participating. I'm constantly seeing more new people register and add cars to the tracker. And yeah, 8.0 only seems to be rolling out to US and Canada right now... so I think comparisons to 7.x aren't really possible (I'm not following this thread that closely so I'm not sure what comparisons are being made).

I'm still on 7.1 because I refuse to lose my HVAC control..
Not to say you're wrong to do that, but considering the release notes imply they've significantly rejiggered HVAC in general, it would be interesting to know if the settings you currently favor (recirc with fan at 3, right?) still map to the same comfort level, or if the current (recirc, fan at 4) might now provide acceptable comfort. This is the problem with software-defined control systems -- "it goes to eleven" today isn't the same as "it goes to eleven" yesterday.

Of course, I can't think of a way for you to find this out without taking the plunge, short of borrowing someone else's 8.0 car and driving it on your usual route.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone and MP3Mike
Not to say you're wrong to do that, but considering the release notes imply they've significantly rejiggered HVAC in general, it would be interesting to know if the settings you currently favor (recirc with fan at 3, right?) still map to the same comfort level, or if the current (recirc, fan at 4) might now provide acceptable comfort. This is the problem with software-defined control systems -- "it goes to eleven" today isn't the same as "it goes to eleven" yesterday.

Of course, I can't think of a way for you to find this out without taking the plunge, short of borrowing someone else's 8.0 car and driving it on your usual route.

I have a few friends with 8.0 and can talk to Charlotte Service about getting a loaner with 8 to test this out. If I don't freeze on recirc 4 in 8.0 like I do on recirc 4 in 7.1, I would be ok with it being remapped. But I definitely do not want fresh air and I feel hot on 1 and 2 in 7.1. Thanks!

In case anyone is unaware, my car doesn't have AutoPilot, so not upgrading isn't causing any seriously big loss thus far.

Reactions: jgs
I have video of the event from my dashcam.

My reading of this:

1. Definitely a TACC slowdown, not AEB.

2. Hard to tell due to the compression, but was there something dark on the road? Looks like the camera may have identified that as an obstruction and triggered the braking.

I doubt it was a radar-triggered event. My guess is camera. In fact, once 8.1 comes out, I think there will be more reliance put on radar for TACC braking--which would probably eliminate this occurrence.

Thanks for the video. Helpful to see what happened.

Just received (in the mail) the latest update from Tesla that fixes all of the 8.0 UI issues completely. Bonus, if you have the matte wood or fiber it matches the interior colors much better too! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5058.JPG
    IMG_5058.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5059.JPG
    IMG_5059.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 76