Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an emergency braking event today with 8.0. I was driving along a 2-land road with a center turning lane (a situation where I am comfortable using autopilot) and I had it engaged. Light traffic.

Speed limit was 45, I had cruise set for 50 with autopilot on. All of a sudden, the car applied what I would call medium-braking. I was watching the road with my hands on the wheel. Neither the car in front of me, or the car in front of it were slowing down. The only thing that could have triggered it, in my estimation, was some overhanging branches above my lane from the right side of the road. It's certainly possible that radar detected it as a potential collision and started to slow down, but eventually continued.

I was prepared for emergency acceleration, something I theorized might be necessary if a radar false alarm were to occur. I immediately checked my rear view mirror and nobody was behind me, so I just let the system play out. Speed was reduced to about 30 mph and then it began accelerating again resuming my cruise speed of 50 mph.

Be vigilant and ready at all times people. I'm glad I was.

Is it possible ? Can you force the accelerator pedal down during an EB event ?

edit: full disclosure, I am kinda really anxious about the idea of the radar-triggered EB event.

Let's just say, that I would have canceled autopilot and accelerated. I know it's possible to accelerate while in autopilot / TACC mode, but I don't know if you can accelerate through an emergency stopping event without interrupting the autopilot / TACC.

EB is when the car takes over, not when AP slows down... even non-AP cars with the right hardware have this, eg. driving along and car slows down .. ??? This is what I'm worried about, can the car override accelerator ? Of course it can, technically, but during EB does it say "no" ?
I believe it's documented that accelerator input overrides EB, as does steering input.

Also, what @pdxgibby experienced wasn't EB, or anyway doesn't sound like it was.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Sig Model S here, so classic like you. Honestly the folks complaining seem to be mostly (all?) very heavy USB users, I have a couple thousand songs on my USB and absolutely no problems; the new media player interface is pretty nice, shows lots more album art, easier to find favorites etc. They just need to fix the descriptor labels on XM stations. Overall for classic cars, it's a nice upgrade.
Maybe that's why I'm so happy with it too. I don't have AP nor do I ever think I'll need it. The USB media player works fine for me and I've been able to find songs simply by using voice commands. All in all this is so far superior to what we had before I can hardly believe people don't like it. For me in classic Model S, it's superior in every way.

All in all this is so far superior to what we had before I can hardly believe people don't like it.

In my personal case, since I spend over 75% of my driving time in my S with recirc air and the fan set to a speed of 3, I will stay at 7.1 until the ability to do that is returned. I can live with the changes in USB since I can still do what I did before (I don't have a large library), just not as easily. But with the HVAC, they have completely removed the ability to have recirc air below a speed of 4.

No, many have been complaining about the problems with AP, so I don't think his car all of a sudden failed as soon as it got new software.

My experience is that, while on a clean stretch of highway, AP is much more solid. It just drives and does what it should. 7.1 did a great job under these conditions but always seemed to be making micro-corrections to remain centered. Now it appears to be predicting its path further down the road and it feels more solid.

However, when road conditions are less than ideal I have noticed more problems than with 7.1. In one case, this morning, a lane split, it chose the left side but didn't quite make it and I had to take over. 7.1 handles this location for me no problem. I have also had it not manage to make curves (yes, on divided highways) that it used to handle just fine. It almost seems to behave like 7.0 did when it first came out. Perhaps a lot of the map data collected since 7.0, which improved over time, has been thrown out and they are collecting anew.
8.0 might have exposed a previously undiagnosed radar problem.

I had an emergency braking event today with 8.0. I was driving along a 2-land road with a center turning lane (a situation where I am comfortable using autopilot) and I had it engaged. Light traffic.

Speed limit was 45, I had cruise set for 50 with autopilot on. All of a sudden, the car applied what I would call medium-braking.

Did you get warnings on the IC and an alarm going off? If not, I don't think it was AEB that caused the braking, it would have just been TACC.

Reactions: Max*
Sig Model S here, so classic like you. Honestly the folks complaining seem to be mostly (all?) very heavy USB users, I have a couple thousand songs on my USB and absolutely no problems; the new media player interface is pretty nice, shows lots more album art, easier to find favorites etc. They just need to fix the descriptor labels on XM stations. Overall for classic cars, it's a nice upgrade.
Again, it's a big help to give total number of tracks, total size used on the USB volume, and possibly if you know, how much embedded art you have in the track ID. Thanks.

You sure it was AEB? If AEB, you'd be thrown hard against your shoulder belt and would go from 60 to 40 mph in less than 2 seconds.

I think most people say AEB or emergency braking when really they're just feeling a lot of regen and a light to moderate amount of braking kick in.

Agreed. If it doesn't throw you against your seat belt so hard that you get your wind knocked out, combined with ABS pulsing noises, it is likely not AEB. With AEB you'd lose 20mph before you even have a chance to look at the speedometer while you catch your breath.

Reactions: Max* and jgs
I have video of the event from my dashcam. A couple comments:

1) Don't judge that I was listening to Jim Rome at the time
2) I have speed turned off on the camera intentionally

My car was maintaining the following distance at a setting of '3', but at 5s into the video the car starts to slow down...as we approach the overhanging tree, which I am officially accusing as causing this event.

I have video of the event from my dashcam. A couple comments:

1) Don't judge that I was listening to Jim Rome at the time
2) I have speed turned off on the camera intentionally

My car was maintaining the following distance at a setting of '3', but at 5s into the video the car starts to slow down...as we approach the overhanging tree, which I am officially accusing as causing this event.

Thanks for the video. Looks like a TACC slowdown to me. TACC does do that occasionally when it's only slightly confident that there's something in your way. This behavior became more prevalent in the later 7.1 updates.

Any time TACC goes into regen mode, it should be a cue for "heads up" and see if the car is noticing something threatening. Most common example would be a car near you veering into your lane, or object appearing in front of you on the camera, etc etc etc. If nothing of interest is happening, just a tap on the accelerator is enough to override it.

Reactions: jgs
From what I can see on http://ev-fw.com/ all those from the US or thereabouts, registered with that database, have now downloaded v8.0
If that is the case then would it be a reasonable assumption then that most in the US overall have been offered the download as well? Just wondering if that will trigger Europe then maybe here. :)
What you see on the main page is only the reports from those who have gotten 8.0, not everyone who has registered on that site.

Currently Displaying Reports for Version 8.0 -- 357 Owners reporting on 359 cars with 369 Updates.

If you click on 7.1, you can see that the 8.0 reports represent only about a third of those who had 7.1:

Currently Displaying Reports for Version 7.1 -- 962 Owners reporting on 1011 cars with 5094 Updates.

(FWIW, I am in the US and have not yet been offered 8.0. However, given the bug reports about the new media player cutting off songs before they finish, and not being able to browse a USB media source, I think I'd rather wait for those issues to be fixed first.)