Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to wonder if this "lean to the right when lane widens" circumstance and the "truck lust" moments are the same thing. Perhaps next to the truck, it losing track of the right lines (why I couldn't tell you - perhaps thinking the truck's body is a newly paved line) and veering towards the truck since AutoPilot in the US prefer sticking to the right?

I continue to hold out (perhaps a bit naively) for a complete overhaul of nav in 8.1.

Ultimately, Tesla's quest to bring about fully autonomous vehicles is going to rely on precise navigation using a highly detailed map database. Information was posted regarding their collection of precision map data some time ago; I am certain their data has only gotten better.

It's obvious that Navigon won't cut it for autonomous navigation. It's also true that Tesla has given very little attention to improving the Navigon system. I have to speculate it is because they have been working on their own, in-house system.

Perhaps parts of it will be available for 8.1. My thought is that this is needed for AP to follow exits in 8.1.

The Navigon maps are supplied by Navteq BUT the maps in the current North American fleet are dated 15Q1, over a year and a half old.

I'm starting to wonder if this "lean to the right when lane widens" circumstance and the "truck lust" moments are the same thing. Perhaps next to the truck, it losing track of the right lines (why I couldn't tell you - perhaps thinking the truck's body is a newly paved line) and veering towards the truck since AutoPilot in the US prefer sticking to the right?
I had thought that, especially when running almost alongside a semi that had a trailer open between the wheels when my MS tried to take a dive under the trailer. I was also driving at night and this particular trailer had MANY yellow running lights running horizontally along the bottom of the trailer -- a really blinged-out rig. ...but I passed others with lots of lighting, and a similar love fest did not take place.
FWIW, on 7.x I had my MS run way too close, almost gravitating towards, similar semis with open areas under the trailer -- but it didn't "dive" towards the semi like 8.0 did. I got to the point I just turned Autosteer off when it was on, and traffic was such I would be running alongside the semi for some period of time.​

OTOH, one of my experiences with MS veering to the right was towards a set of lone rather large cluster of bushes on the side of the road beyond the lane striping that I really believe was still clearly represented on the IC. My greater number of occurrences were when a semi was ahead perhaps 2-3 car lengths in the lane to my right. While I got caught up in the moment taking control each time when my MS decided to lust for the rear left corner of the trailer, IIRC Autosteer represented clearly identified lines on the IC before each incident. I still think there is something wrong with translating the radar cloud thingy with certain types of objects, and the logic Tesla has designed in this first iteration is causing Autosteer to go bezerk. IDK if MS would have corrected itself as it got even closer. I was going too fast and it was too close for me to wait and see.

FWIW, my MS is sitting in the San Diego SvC lot awaiting annual service in the next few days. My Autosteer anomolies occurred with 8.0 2.36.108, all at night on very flat, well-maintained freeways with clearly marked lines. Last night, a notice appeared on my iPhone from the Tesla App that new firmware was available for installation. As to what release and what it may involve, I won't know until I get my MS back. SO, WHO WILL BE THE FIRST to start the whole geofencing game again, or give the new code drop a try and report back if any of our initial 8.0 problems are corrected? Let the race begin!

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how did you find out the date of the map data?

Bruce.
Bruce, I don't know how @mrElbe got it but earlier this year after everyone else said they received map updates and I didn't I asked my Service Center to let me know if I had it and what the version was and they gave me the following in an email. A little different format than above but the dates coincide. Also wk057 posted the same thing at the time so I have confirmation of the below.
NA-Q115-7471811e 2015.1.6-15007-g7471811e,NA

By the way, you don't always get on screen confirmation when you receive map updates. I didn't.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bmah
FWIW, I'm back to a very small 2-3 miles of daily average vampire loss on my S90D since installing 8.0 2.36.108 (Energy Savings ON, Always Connected Checked) -- even when I keep a USB device plugged-in. I do not use any pervasive logging services or programs, other than EVTripping checking status once per day.

While USB has other issues we have discussed a lot, my 1-week impression with 8.0 is the infamous USB Phantom Playing bug has at long last been squashed. That's a welcome improvement since I took delivery a year ago today where I've come to expect 7-8 miles/day vampire loss purely because I choose to keep my USB stick plugged-in 7x24 instead of dealing with rescan time every time I enter my MS. TU Tesla for that one!

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
I still think "truck lust" is a myth, when AP first came out; I thought the same thing. But, I started looking at the toy car whenever I pass a truck and the car is usually centered (90%+).
Not for me and I may drive some of the same freeways you do in SoCal. For me it occurred about half the time in 7.1. I don't have enough experience with 8.0 yet to make a determination of degree or frequency but the people that are posting that it's worse have a lot of credibility.

Reactions: Wanderer
I still think "truck lust" is a myth, when AP first came out; I thought the same thing. But, I started looking at the toy car whenever I pass a truck and the car is usually centered (90%+).

Edit: I'm still on V7.1
Ah, there you go. You're still on 7.1 and this is an 8.0 thread. ;) With 8.0, I had 6 or maybe 7 occurrences in 600 miles over 3 days on i15 / i60 / i57 /i5 (and purposely turned AP off in the construction zone stretches). Those roads are otherwise well marked.

I've noticed the car leaning towards solid walls too - if there is a solid barrier or overpass wall on the right side the car gets uncomfortably close to the wall some times. I'm still on v7.1

I've noticed the car leaning towards solid walls too - if there is a solid barrier or overpass wall on the right side the car gets uncomfortably close to the wall some times. I'm still on v7.1
Yes, that occurred with me on 7.1 when there are higher curbs on a lot of concrete medians we have around me, and is one of the reasons I stopped using Autosteer if I was going to be in the left lane for any period of time. I've not yet tried 8.0 in the same areas (MS is at SvC).

Sorry for double-post/bandwidth. This should have gone w/AP cars thread.

I have my own list of takeaways, with a net negative impression of 8.0. The hidden "+, -" zoom buttons, on the map, not only require an extra screen tap. They also become moving targets as the icons of the top row push them down. It is about a ~1 second animation. I bet I'm not the only one who has ended up zooming in, when attempting to zoom out, because he didn't realize the place where the minus was, was where the plus was going! Help.

-I like the radar bounce, and seeing two cars ahead, and look forward to earlier braking under AP, which remains awesome.
-I like the simultaneous deactivation of both AutoSteer and TACC, instead of just AutoSteer
-I like blended favorites, in the media center
-I like being able to activate AP, while stopped. However, the car did already once creep upon the next until the forward proximity was amber.

What's still missing:
-The largest available battery electric vehicle cannot accept a programmed charging schedule. The simple 24 hour charge-start time has no 'stop', and requires manual over-rides on weekends. Electric utilities with off-peak offerings, almost without exception, remain off-peak during weekends, and holidays. Some Tesla owners don't find this an issue, but consider worst-case places like AZ, where on peak can cost $.49/kwh, and off peak $.05/kwh. Then, consider we humans sometimes forget to turn things back on. Ouch $$. It's a common feature to other PHEV makers. Gas now becomes cheaper than electricity, above about 30 cents/kwh.
-The ability to regain your dash board, and lose the AutoPilot display when not using it. I can see better than my parking sensors, but still cannot see what my high beams and other functions are doing behind the top of the steering wheel.

From worst, to least bad:
-Contrast, with maps and media appears to have weakened again. I thought V7 was a gain, as the milky bright backgrounds were reduced. V8 seems to keep the 17in screen's top row contrast, but the shades of grey and blu are too close together within a number of other graphics. Someday, maybe users can set their own contrast?
-maps appear to render more slowly
-major traffic routes are no longer as pronounced a green/yellow/red, as they once were, and are harder to pick out. thinner lanes.
-The pixel zones, for expanding to whole screen, or flipping screens, seem to be more tightly bordered. Their graphic is also less defined. This seems to be causing more double-strikes, or hitting the lower left driver controls when aiming to expand the bottom of the two running apps.
-Generally speaking, command areas of the display which surround its borders (homelink, charging, etc), also seem a little tighter to these borders and harder to reliably select.
-Media alphabet, for USB mp3
-Road name fonts sometimes completely cover the traffic color of the road underneath.
-map zoom faulty, as noted. won't stay zoomed out.
-left selector arrow top/bottom, on steering wheel, seizes when landing on an internet station, now that favorites can mix radio and internet together. The same thing happens with GM, when XM stations are preset next to radio stations. It won't scan to the next preset. Now, that we can group favorites, it would be great to avoid getting marooned.

Last edited:
NA-Q115-7471811e 2015.1.6-15007-g7471811e,NA
But is that June 1 or January 6? I don't remember when we received the map updates.

I'm just guessing here, but I imagine it breaks down as follows:
NA = North America
Q115 = Quarter 1, 2015
7471811e = ?
2015.1.6 = 2015, January 6th
15007 = ?
g7471811e = ?, but same as two unknowns above. Maybe "generation 7471811, build e"?
NA = North America

The easiest thing they can do to help with large USB libraries is to add a scroll bar slider. Instead of having to scroll with your finger 20 times to get through a list of albums or artists, you could scroll with a single swipe to a general area. This would minimize time. Very simple fix. Adding an A-Z jump would help, but I think there would be a lot of miss-clicks there too.

A slightly more difficult thing to do would be to utilize the right wheel/button on the steering wheel. Be able to select media and then scroll/select using your thumb instead of using the touch screen to move through items. The right wheel/button is mostly utility anyway. Having a 4 direction toggle would be even better, but that requires physical changes to the car.

Reactions: X Fan and jgs