Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 197434

Back to 8.0 navigation issues. Here's a shot of my nav screen when I'm actually 3miles, not 10, from home and less than 10 minutes, not 29, away. I just need to go one mile and take a right. All of the route shown that looks like the head a T-Rex in not needed. In 7.1 it also refused to take the shortest or quickest route. It picked a different, but equally flawed route. Is there anything I can do?

Is the shorter route something that is possible because of "new" roads? (Since the maps Tesla uses for Nav are a couple years old if I recall correctly.

Ok I feel l need to log my AP 8.0 experience here. Apologies in advance for the long post.

I have had my MS90D for 3 months..and logged just under 3,000 miles. I have absolutely raved about this car and (at least until 8.0AP) have loved nearly every minute in it...coming off back-to-back leased 750is and a number of other similar vehicles prior to those.

Last week I did a ~1,000 mile road trip...something I would generally not do...especially as a 20 year instrument pilot (yes, I know how real autopilots work). But I love driving the car and AP takes the overall workload and related stress of the drive down a lot, so I decided to drive it.

I did the outbound leg on the latest 7.1. It was AWESOME. Pretty solid tracking, NO scares whatsoever...and very reasonable 'nags' (in fact only a couple the whole trip). Absolute best long distance drive I've ever experienced.

I was pleased to get 8.0 during my stay and was looking forward to putting it through it's paces on the way back.

Well... Let's just say that I thought of two new bumper stickers on the way home: "My Tesla Loves Semi's (so much it wants to kiss them)" and "I'm not drunk, I'm on Autopilot 8.0." I literally thought that if it didn't throw itself (and me) under a semi, it was going to at least get me pulled over. Really very disappointing.

(I'm not going to go into the 'nag' thing. I get that it's 'beta'...and that you'r'e supposed to have your hands on the wheel at all times, etc. etc. I WILL argue the point that you should not be penalized for looking at the road (and not the dash) and leave it at that. Overall my experience on that front hasn't been 'terrible', but it is a decided step backward for me.)

The big issue for me is tracking, especially passing semis. Unlike many people experiencing 'better lane tracking', I have experienced quite the opposite, and it sounds like others on this thread have as well. And I have talked to other friends, including one on his second MS, who have had similar scary issues.

Before 8.0AP I only had a couple (maybe 'several') instances where I needed to quickly take over from a situation where I felt like the car was about to get me into serious trouble. On the way home it happened numerous times. Not tracking well, weaving back and forth/'seeking', hard swerves...especially cresting hills...if you can even call them that (this trip was between florida and atlanta). I did get one minor 'phantom' brake incident, but I didn't register it as a big deal.

The real dangerous thing was it pulling hard into many (at least half) of the semis I passed. Some trucks induced the behavior and some didn't...I have to guess it is related to aerodynamics/buffeting of the particular truck and how AP is trying to deal with that. I only pass semis on the left...so this was always on that side. I assume the behavior would be the same on the right.

Sometimes it felt like an increasing oscillation, others it just felt like an abrupt pull to the right. What was even scarier is that it really felt like the side sonar wasn't doing (or going to do) anything about it. Perhaps it would have, but I didn't feel like letting it go far enough to find out.

Sometimes I could hold it off with SOLID left pressure on the wheel (right up to the edge of disengaging). Other times I had to force off AP, a couple times pretty aggressively. On 7.1 I do recall it often hugging the lane next to a semi closer than I liked, but I don't recall it ever pulling into one anywhere close to this aggressively.

Beyond that, I still feel like AP isn't tracking as well as it was before, even in stop and go. My wife commented on it during a drive last night as well. I just engaged it going to lunch and though it was going to sideswipe the car next to me.

I DO feel it handles AP accel/decel/braking better than before.

I love my car and I support Tesla and what they are doing on a number of fronts. I am not bashing at all here..and I am sure as heck not making it up. I love how they push forward and I am willing to fully understand the limitations of my vehicle's systems as 'Pilot in Command'. I am holding out faith in their agile development processes, OTA updates, and fleet-learning capabilities to get this at least back to where it was before…hopefully quickly. I hope that's not a naive position.

At the moment, at least as it relates to AP, I wish I was still on 7.1.

I am sure that others have had different/better experiences, but that is my experience...please don't flame me for sharing it. I'm just trying to be helpful and add to the dialogue and the record.

Is it possible that since you drove back immediately after the update, there was some response learning over the course of the trip? I have had one experience where I loaded 1.5 sets of wheels/tires into the back of my S. total weight was probably around 250lb at about the rear axle centerline. I immediately noticed the difference in steering response and feel. (those of you with towing experience will know what I'm describing)

What was interesting was how autopilot behaved under this condition. At the start of a 50mi drive, autopilot wandered back and forth in the lane. But after about 20 miles, it became much more stable and seemed to steer the appropriate amount. When I unloaded the vehicle and made the return trip, it followed the same process...starting out poorly following the lane with many corrections back and forth, but later recalibrating itself back to its original capabilities.

Cute! BUT, that doesn't fix the problem with the nav system.

Tell Tesla about it. "Nav sucks" isn't a message that will help Tesla, no matter how good it feels in the moment.

The story you told in the post with the map image on the other hand, gives Tesla somewhere to start - and if they figure out why you have an issue, maybe they'll unlock a whole class of issues and Nav will get better.

They can't fix it until they know it's broken, and how in particular. I've read that some Tesla folks read TMC, but I think you should send it to Tesla directly.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
Tell Tesla about it. "Nav sucks" isn't a message that will help Tesla, no matter how good it feels in the moment.

The story you told in the post with the map image on the other hand, gives Tesla somewhere to start - and if they figure out why you have an issue, maybe they'll unlock a whole class of issues and Nav will get better.

They can't fix it until they know it's broken, and how in particular. I've read that some Tesla folks read TMC, but I think you should send it to Tesla directly.
Who do I send it to?

View attachment 197434

Back to 8.0 navigation issues. Here's a shot of my nav screen when I'm actually 3miles, not 10, from home and less than 10 minutes, not 29, away. I just need to go one mile and take a right. All of the route shown that looks like the head a T-Rex in not needed. In 7.1 it also refused to take the shortest or quickest route. It picked a different, but equally flawed route. Is there anything I can do?
Do what most of us that can't trust Tesla's Navigation system do. Use Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze on your iPhone. What happened to you happens to me at least once a week. It boggles the mind why Tesla can't figure this out.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: bmah
Is it possible that since you drove back immediately after the update, there was some response learning over the course of the trip? I have had one experience where I loaded 1.5 sets of wheels/tires into the back of my S. total weight was probably around 250lb at about the rear axle centerline. I immediately noticed the difference in steering response and feel. (those of you with towing experience will know what I'm describing)

What was interesting was how autopilot behaved under this condition. At the start of a 50mi drive, autopilot wandered back and forth in the lane. But after about 20 miles, it became much more stable and seemed to steer the appropriate amount. When I unloaded the vehicle and made the return trip, it followed the same process...starting out poorly following the lane with many corrections back and forth, but later recalibrating itself back to its original capabilities.

Certainly possible. I have a little over 500 miles on it since the update, with the majority being the drive back on the long trip. Only a few miles and limited AP use locally since then. I would love for this to be a 're-calibration' or 're-learning' (individually or fleet) thing. For some reason my instinct doesn't gravitate to that conclusion, but I would love to be wrong.

View attachment 197434

Yes, we all agree navigation is terrible, but that's not new in 8.0.

Here's a new "feature" that I just discovered in 8.0 that limits AP even further:

On undivided highways where AP limits TACC speed to the speed limit + 5mph, engaging Autosteer now only allows you to set TACC's max speed to 5mph over the limit.

In 7.1, you could set a higher speed (e.g. 50mph in a 25mph zone) and engaging Autosteer limited the car's speed to 30mph, but this didn't change the 50mph max speed. Then once the speed limit was lifted to a higher number, the car would automatically accelerate to the new limit (5mph over, or 50mph, whichever was lower).

This was useful in situations such as temporarily driving through a town with a low speed limit. However if you now engage full AP (TACC + autosteer) while the limit is low (say 25mph), the max speed TACC will get to is 30mph. Pulling the speed stall up won't allow you to go higher than 30.

So after the speed limit changes to a higher number, the car will only go up to 30mph even though the new limit might be much higher, such as 55mph.

I haven't tested the situation where AP is engaged with a higher speed and a lower limit is encountered to see if the max TACC speed automatically lowers to the new limit + 5mph, or stays at the original TACC speed. I would assume (hope) it doesn't change down, but as it is this new "feature" seems like another step in the lawyer-mandated CYA direction..

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer
Here's a new "feature" that I just discovered in 8.0 that limits AP even further:

On undivided highways where AP limits TACC speed to the speed limit + 5mph, engaging Autosteer now only allows you to set TACC's max speed to 5mph over the limit.

In 7.1, you could set a higher speed (e.g. 50mph in a 25mph zone) and engaging Autosteer limited the car's speed to 30mph, but this didn't change the 50mph max speed. Then once the speed limit was lifted to a higher number, the car would automatically accelerate to the new limit (5mph over, or 50mph, whichever was lower).

This was useful in situations such as temporarily driving through a town with a low speed limit. However if you now engage full AP (TACC + autosteer) while the limit is low (say 25mph), the max speed TACC will get to is 30mph. Pulling the speed stall up won't allow you to go higher than 30.

So after the speed limit changes to a higher number, the car will only go up to 30mph even though the new limit might be much higher, such as 55mph.

I haven't tested the situation where AP is engaged with a higher speed and a lower limit is encountered to see if the max TACC speed automatically lowers to the new limit + 5mph, or stays at the original TACC speed. I would assume (hope) it doesn't change down, but as it is this new "feature" seems like another step in the lawyer-mandated CYA direction..
What if you disengage then rengage after you're in the new 55 mph limit, will it go up?

This was required to solve the issue where the car accelerates wildly if you disengaged autosteer only. One could argue about the holistic solution, but this is necessary given what the rest of the interface is.

This was required to solve the issue where the car accelerates wildly if you disengaged autosteer only. One could argue about the holistic solution, but this is necessary given what the rest of the interface is.

And it still doesn't fix that problem. Say I'm in a 50MPH zone behind a car going 30. TACC slows me to 30. I turn the wheel to get into the turning lane, AP disengages, and the speed zooms up as I prepare to turn.

I really appreciated how, in 7.1, I could set the AP speed to, say, 70 and it would change speeds up and down as I drove through speed zones. That no longer works, and I now have to keep manually re-upping the speeds. So, it broke my valid and common use case and didn't fully fix anything, which makes me wonder about who designs these things.

Disengaging AP should set TACC to the current speed, in my opinion.

I think a setting that allows "link auto steer speed restriction to TACC speed restriction"

Basically, you want to have auto steer and tacc linked together as you enter a speed limit zone or rural town.

The system knows it is limiting due to a undivided roadway...it is dynamically adjusting the max speed to 5 over as you go through various speed zones...just need the option to latch tacc to the same speed.

Reactions: Wanderer