Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did preconditioning get an update?...
Thx for the pointer.

I, like I suspect most owners, may have tried preconditioning once but abandoned it because of how dumb (to use Elon's words) it was. I think this is another great example where solid Release Notes would have at least caused some Owners to go take another look at a feature it appears Tesla spent time on. Sigh.

Reactions: CTShore
Hey everyone, I finally nailed down why it seems we have deja vu regarding the shuffle order! When you turn shuffle on and play a song, it plays through the same order. For example. Select song 2, and then the play order becomes (random) 2,4,12,60,10. But if you play song 22, it will play 22, 62, 67, 68, etc. Now, if you go back to song 2, guess what? You get the SAME order you got when you originally played song 2. SO, I'm not entirely sure if shuffle re-shuffles when you toggle it on and off. OR if shuffle is toggled, then it generates a new shuffle list.

Reactions: kevinf311
Hey everyone, I finally nailed down why it seems we have deja vu regarding the shuffle order! When you turn shuffle on and play a song, it plays through the same order. For example. Select song 2, and then the play order becomes (random) 2,4,12,60,10. But if you play song 22, it will play 22, 62, 67, 68, etc. Now, if you go back to song 2, guess what? You get the SAME order you got when you originally played song 2. SO, I'm not entirely sure if shuffle re-shuffles when you toggle it on and off. OR if shuffle is toggled, then it generates a new shuffle list.

Great detective work. You're a better person than me taking the time to figure it out! Appears Tesla is simply still not doing a good enough job in 8.0 with seeding their random number generation -- no different than 7.1.

Reactions: kevinf311
This has been discussed upthread when it was first posted. Both 7.1 and 8.0 will veer towards trucks in the right lane. This is a very bad set of circumstances to have AP enabled. Most people with experience using AP would turn it off under these conditions.
I'd never be able to use AP since there are plenty of trucks on all of the interstates I travel. Where do you travel with limited access roads that are not full of trucks?

FWIW: I certainly am no stranger to articulating my concerns and areas where I believe Tesla can improve. I do think however we need to keep in context that 8.0 was articulated by Elon as primarily providing a dramatic and perhaps first-of-it's-kind shift for a production automobile from primarily visual to radar-based driver assistance. (Yes, he said there were 200 other more minor improvements, but let's not go there as they were not specified in any detail.) I am the first one to want perfection, but I also recognize Autosteer is Beta code and as such, I'm involved with a product that isn't as stable as Production code should be that exits all testing phases -- including Customer Beta which Autosteer is still in. Anything that is a major shift like this from visual to radar bias is gonna introduce both good with bad while the developers get their act together, compared to the tech that was tweaked and in the fleet for a year. What I do expect is Tesla listens and rapidly resolves problems it's Customers find.

That said, as I said way upthread now in far more detail across 3 posts, I still believe 8.0 is overall a step forward
  • We can debate UI choices as we have and will
  • I find many improvements or at least status-quo with Autosteer 8.0 compared to 7.1; The one significant new item for me that I've had multiple problems with is "trailer lust" or "veering to the right". It's scary when it happens. Fortunately for me, Autosteer is Beta, it can be updated OTA, and its not like it causes me to not be able to drive my MS, so I just keep Autosteer off in the couple of challenging situations I previous cited may be ahead UNTIL Tesla gets this resolved. I'm confident it will be, as AP is Elon's Biggest Baby (besides SpaceX, Mars, Hyperloop, Solar City, AI Take-Over, etc., etc. ;))
  • Media Player may be better for those that love Streaming or a "I don't care" for those that don't use audio nearly all the time they are driving their MS like I do. USB is flat out broken in too many new and different ways for me to use it even like in have been for the past year, to the point I subscribed to SiriusXM until problems are fixed. If anything causes me to take MAJOR exception with 8.0, it's Tesla's clear lack of consideration and/or testing for those that are non-streaming fanatics, and lack of consideration for, or of, owners with larger USB music libraries.
  • ...and well, we can debate forever about "requirements" that have not been delivered (Nav, other Media Player, etc), but for me, that's a whole other topic beyond this thread, so don't get me started.
We all have our opinions and make our decisions what's best for us. That's great. I remain happy I have 8.0, and just keep Autosteer off in the couple of (new) problematic situations I've encountered until I hear things are better one day.

Last edited:
nything that is a major shift like this from visual to radar bias is gonna introduce both good with bad while the developers get their act together, compared to the tech that was tweaked and in the fleet for a year.
Not necessarily. If they were storing all the data that the car saw/generated, they could have used historic data.
Or
If they realized they were going to make the switch, one of the earlier firmwares could have given them the opportunity to collect both and do an A/B test.

So I don't buy that the we all need to pay the price with degraded AP (I know many vocal people here think so, while others think it got better) while the developers get their act together.

Not necessarily. If they were storing all the data that the car saw/generated, they could have used historic data.
Or
If they realized they were going to make the switch, one of the earlier firmwares could have given them the opportunity to collect both and do an A/B test.

So I don't buy that the we all need to pay the price with degraded AP (I know many vocal people here think so, while others think it got better) while the developers get their act together.
As I said, we can all have our opinions. While I agree fleet data could or is being reused, using radar "to primarily see" instead of a physical camera is a whole other new ball of wax in how the real world and perhaps that data is interpreted. I'm not trying to defend Tesla, simply acknowledge as an X-systems and support kinda guy that when major under-the-cover technologies change, even with the best migration paths trying to use knowledge and data from the past, there can be errors or unanticipated situations in the design that need to be resolved. I guess I've been there, done that too many times -- or my teams have as they attempt to be the interface between Customers and the development teams, so I'm trying to give Tesla a bit of a nod that I acknowledge the scope of the task being undertaken with Autosteer 8.0 changes. (Media Player is another subject you know where I stand with. AH HA)

I'd never be able to use AP since there are plenty of trucks on all of the interstates I travel. Where do you travel with limited access roads that are not full of trucks?
I use it on freeways but only in perfect conditions. If I'm passing a truck and I don't have an escape route I turn it off. I also turn it off if the center divider is a concrete wall and I'm in the center lane. It has a tendency to drift towards them if they are close.

Reactions: BertL
Do what most of us that can't trust Tesla's Navigation system do. Use Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze on your iPhone. What happened to you happens to me at least once a week. It boggles the mind why Tesla can't figure this out.

It's not really mind-boggling once you consider the major communication issues Tesla has had since, well, always. I wouldn't be surprised if all the feedback owners are sending to Tesla are not making it back to the software team. Or if they are, someone at Tesla is sorting those suggestions to the bottom of the list. The only visible person to answer for all of this is Elon Musk, and he has been quiet since the release of version 8.0.

I use it on freeways but only in perfect conditions. If I'm passing a truck and I don't have an escape route I turn it off. I also turn it off if the center divider is a concrete wall and I'm in the center lane. It has a tendency to drift towards them if they are close.
Mine doesn't drift towards them. Though when I use it close to a center divider, I always keep a tight grip on the steering wheel.

In tunnels (though not right next to a concrete barrier, but close enough) and we have a bridge in NY (Goethals bridge) which is VERY narrow, no shoulders, and you're right up a concrete barrier on one side and the other side. AP keeps it perfectly in lane.

When I saw narrow, I mean narrow. The little toy car on the IC, has it's mirrors on the outside of the gray/blue lanes.

Reactions: msnow

I use AP 8.0 all the time and just keep my hands more ready when approaching curves or across intersections. If you feel it go awry, just correct with the wheel.

Anyone reading this thread would think AP always just rockets towards every truck and swings left and right randomly. If my AP did that, I wouldn't use it under any circumstances!

Reactions: NSX1992 and Max*
It's not really mind-boggling once you consider the major communication issues Tesla has had since, well, always. I wouldn't be surprised if all the feedback owners are sending to Tesla are not making it back to the software team. Or if they are, someone at Tesla is sorting those suggestions to the bottom of the list. The only visible person to answer for all of this is Elon Musk, and he has been quiet since the release of version 8.0.
He's working on his speech to produce maximum hype about the upcoming 8.1 update, the goal would be to make it sound like the next best thing since sliced bread, while not telling the public that 8.1 will break the rear camera and bluetooth phone pairing. And don't worry, he has no plans on fixing the media player in 8.1. But it'll be AWESOME! Total redesign!

Totally agree although Elon has tweeted a couple of times about Tesla. Once about smart preconditioning in 8.0 and a new (updated) Linux OS for Tesla coming in December.

I use AP 8.0 all the time and just keep my hands more ready when approaching curves or across intersections. If you feel it go awry, just correct with the wheel.

Anyone reading this thread would think AP always just rockets towards every truck and swings left and right randomly. If my AP did that, I wouldn't use it under any circumstances!
Yeah but to be fair, many of us have a lot more experience with it that you do. Like a full year since it first came out. I usually have mine OFF unless perfect conditions.