Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am guessing it may only search MP3 metadata and not folder or file names ??? If so do FLAC files have similar metadata ?

edit: and wouldn't this mean that it would have to load the first bit(s ;) of every file to index ?

Not that I'm going to edit any metadata lol no thanks. Folder and file names are enough info for my media files.
Yes, FLAC can have metadata tags, just like MP3, M4A, etc. The basic initial tests I did against 8.0 with FLAC worked fine in that regard -- assuming of course one had the tagging data within those files to begin with.

While I appreciate others POV and desires, I wouldn't personally expect a music player (including Media Player) that has a generic search mechanism to consider directory and filenames as there is no consistency how one user to another may or may not represent album and track names within that structure for example. Directories and filenames are something operating systems and their apps use, but require either the app or the user to know what the structure means. ID3 tags OTOH are the commonly used method across most modern open source audio and video encoding methods to store common information related to the music/audio itself, and is what IMHO Tesla should use like most other modern players for organization presentation outside the Folder view, and for any searching ability it provides.

Yes, each file has to be opened by any music player to find the tag data used for later organization and perhaps search. It's in-part why Media Player and others perform an initial scan of any new library source to open the files and map tag data it may eventually use against the users folder/directory structure so it can find the files on the device more quickly again later.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TexasEV
8.0 has finally fixed the phantom music playing bug (at least for USB)! I left the car for 24 hours and when I came back it played the same song it did when I left, although it seems to restart from the beginning of the song.
Funny you mention that. Right after I got 8.0 I noticed the bug where if I left the car for awhile in the middle of a streaming song, when I came back to the car it would play the remainder of the song I had left, but cut it off about 30-40 seconds from the end.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't do that anymore because today I noticed when I returned to my car the streamed song played out properly, but then started playing a second time right afterwards....

All cells charge at the same time.
Not completely true. They are all at a different state of charge. Hence the need for balancing, which the car does both automatically and when we charge to over 95% (I have read 93% also). So it would be fun to see the different states of charge. Realistically though, they have much more important things to do than entertain me!

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm tempted to show up to this, just to see if it ends in a riot. Not that I'd start one myself. Sure, I'd like to have the media switcher back. But by and large 8.0 has been fine for me.

We are excited to invite you to this month’s Tesla Weekend Social series at your nearest Tesla location. This month we are giving you a deeper look into our newly released Software 8.0, our most substantial update to the touchscreen and its apps since we launched Model S over four years ago.

This exclusive event series is designed to engage our owner community with Tesla experts to learn more about our newest products and features. And give you the chance to speak with fellow enthusiasts. We invite you to bring family and friends to the event so they can learn about the benefits of Tesla ownership.

To attend our upcoming event, please RSVP below. A light breakfast will be provided. We look forward to seeing you there.

What is "childish" about it, exactly? Are you talking about the one that shows the transparent vehicle with the pack highlighted?
Yes. I think it is a bit gimmicky and they could spend their time better improving the media interface and other more user-centric aspects of it. I think they are doing what a lot of consumer tech companies are doing these days: changing the interface for the sake of having it look new, which I personally find frustrating because then I need to learn yet another new interface, when the old one was just as functional. I'm thinking mainly of Apple iTunes, which keeps moving things all around without really increasing functionality very much.

This particular change did not hurt usability by any means. Actually the the arrows allowing us to jump 10% up and down are great. I just think there are other issues which have received multiple complaints that could take priority and provide a better user experience.

Not only that but the indicators for setting the charge level are too small. With all that screen available the lines are scrunched into a tiny space. The old version was much easier to see and use.
I totally agree. I find it very hard to tell what % I am choosing. It was easier for me to see that with the old icon. My old, bifocaled eyes, I am afraid. Buy heck, a lot of us owners are older. Just today, I had to confirm that I had picked the % I wanted by switching from miles to energy. I found that mildly inconvenient. Not a show stopper at all. Just a minor annoyance. I do change my % of charge based on my needs. I prefer to charge no higher than 70% for daily around town driving for improved battery longevity. I charge higher for trips and if storms are coming and I might lose power.

If you could make it dynamic, you would have the ever-popular requested "camping mode".
Agree!! I think Elon said that was coming. Then camper more will be more seamless. Although the Remote S app does a fine job now.

What would be totally awesome is to be able to set a schedule so that the car automatically cools at a certain time so that when I get in the car after work, my regal, special and spoiled body never experiences any discomfort at all!

:D

For me, 8.0 is a disappointment in some areas for me.

Here are my gripes:
  • AP is MUCH less stable. I now ping pong all the time.
  • It seems to have a nervous breakdown when cresting a hill.
  • I get three times more nags than before. Yes, I have been counting.
  • The lane hugging makes me very nervous. Rather than moving away from large vehicles, it tries to snug up against them. Isn't that the exact opposite of what it should do? It's unnerving.
  • I do not feel nearly as safe using it as I did pre 8.0 and really, from the second update. Sorry. I forget the rev #. And I have stopped trusting it to the admittedly limited degree that I did before.
  • Yesterday my center screen rebooted three times in the span of 15 minutes. That has never happened before. Boy oh boy is that annoying. The only change I had made was to add the A and/or B trip meters to the IP. I took them off and it hasn't done it since. Looks like unstable code to me!
What I like (and don't...)
  • I actually like the new media interface for everything except the USB, which just plain stinks! I mean, come on guys. Were ya thinkin' at all? Do ya really not think that users would want music to play in some sort of predictable fashion or in the way that the artist wanted when they mixed the album?
  • I actually like the flat look of the climate and top row. But I really miss the pre 7 climate status that used to show. I really like the loo of the new seat heaters. Lame. I know.
  • I like the look of the full screen Nav. But I find having to tap the screen to bring up the top row inconvenient. I change screens all the time while in nav. It is yet another tap that I need to make. Inefficient use of my supremely delicate index finger (poor thing).
  • The swipe down to go to home or work is convenient for get started out of somewhere that I don't know. But not by much.
  • The change to the A/C fan in recirc has me flummoxed. I really can't tell what it is doing. I have clearly heard it change vent settings to lord only knows what when iIactually have it in manual A/C, recirc and vent control, with auto fan. I don't know where the air is going. I only know that it is not going where I asked it to, which to the dash vents to cool my obviously hot head! Oy!
As Bugs would say, "that's all folks!"

On one trip, I had the center screen re-booting every 5 minutes. Now that was annoying. Once I parked and then drove the car several hours later, all was fine. While it was doing the weird re-boot thing, is also periodically showed I was in a tunnel, even though I was on an open street. Service Center tomorrow for the annual service. Let's see what they say.

I'm tempted to show up to this, just to see if it ends in a riot. Not that I'd start one myself. Sure, I'd like to have the media switcher back. But by and large 8.0 has been fine for me.

We are excited to invite you to this month’s Tesla Weekend Social series at your nearest Tesla location. This month we are giving you a deeper look into our newly released Software 8.0, our most substantial update to the touchscreen and its apps since we launched Model S over four years ago.

This exclusive event series is designed to engage our owner community with Tesla experts to learn more about our newest products and features. And give you the chance to speak with fellow enthusiasts. We invite you to bring family and friends to the event so they can learn about the benefits of Tesla ownership.

To attend our upcoming event, please RSVP below. A light breakfast will be provided. We look forward to seeing you there.

I doubt it... As I've said in other threads, everyone I know outside of TMC has no complaints about v8... No, none of them use USB music sources. Otherwise, no complaints.

Jeff

I am on 2.36.32, plugged in my USB and within 40 seconds 403 songs were recognized did a typed search of a few titles, and nothing was found on the USB but songs, albums and even some stations were found on streaming. I will have to take a close look at the metadata on those songs on my USB that I was searching for to make sure the data is there. I also did not use any capital letters in the typed search.

The one issue I have with V8.0 is having to cancel the update request each morning! :p

Same here. At least it's not as often as my damn iPhone keeps prompting me to update to iOS 10.whatever. And it takes two steps each time to dismiss it. Yesterday, it prompted me TWICE within 30 minutes. STFU, Apple!

I'll upgrade to your next even-crappier OS when I'm good and ready, and when you've worked out all the bugs!!

(that applies for both Apple and Tesla).

I'm confused about the media payer display. Sometimes it shows "favorites" and "recent" and other times it shows "favorites" and "top stations". I can't figure out why it shows which one, or how to get back to "recent" when the display showss "top stations". What am I missing?

I do have a data point about when album art is displayed in USB-- some of my USB music was downloaded from hdtracks.com and those albums do show the album cover when playing each track. The folder of the album contains a PDF of the album art in addition to a flac file of each track. I don't know how it's tagged as I dont know how to look for it without a tagging software.

I'm confused about the media payer display. Sometimes it shows "favorites" and "recent" and other times it shows "favorites" and "top stations". I can't figure out why it shows which one, or how to get back to "recent" when the display showss "top stations". What am I missing?
Swipe/drag up when it's showing top stations and it'll bring up favorites.

While showing favorites swipe/drag down, and it'll show top stations.

I don't know how/why it chooses to randomly show them, but I agree, it's annoying that it doesn't stick to my last preference.

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv