Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how you came to frame them this way - 2.40 versions are the first to rollout to Xs and to cars outside the U.S., deployed far wider and much faster than your mass deployment version.

In any case, there are significant differences - for one thing, the 2.40.21 release notes specifically include being able to use the universal search to find things on USB.
The deployment is wider geographically but not in terms of numbers of cars at least so far.

In any case, there are significant differences - for one thing, the 2.40.21 release notes specifically include being able to use the universal search to find things on USB.

I am curious also. One thing I did check -- the user manual (as revised for version 8 and distributed with the earlier release that I have) does clearly say that Search will work with the USB (even though it does not yet, for many of us).

I'd like to make a modest proposal for the next "Firmware 8.1" thread, when they pop up.

There's lots of features that are common to both AP and non-AP cars, and some that are just for the "Classics" out there (and yes, we have our own thread for those).

AP posts seem to dominate this thread, but there's still lots of other discussions going on about Nav, Media Player, overall UI/UX, etc that are interesting to everyone. It's hard to sift through the AP posts to get to the ones of interest to Classic owners.

So next time, I'd like to propose the following three threads (up from the two we have now):
  • Firmware 8.1 General (features common to both AP and non AP cars)
  • Firmware 8.1 AP Discussion Only
  • Firmware 8.1 Classic
Finally, I'm not asking anything to change anything with the current 8.0 threads, just maybe next time we can carve out the AP (2.0?) discussions to a separate thread.

Thanks.
The way to make this happen is to.. well, make it happen. Create the threads yourself when 8.1 is nearing. Populate them. Report other threads that pop up and suggest a merge with the existing threads. Own it, Hank! ;)

Found an interesting bug on the autopilot nag or for some, a "feature". If you have low tire pressure warning (2.7 - 2.8 bar, ~39 psi) so just a bit low on pressure, the display will continuously display low tire pressure, but when using autopilot, it will not nag you at all. Experienced that on my first commute with 8.0 yesterday. Today I had some nags.
Interesting. I had a low pressure warning this morning (probably because it's a cooler morning). I'll see if I can replicate.

I am curious also. One thing I did check -- the user manual (as revised for version 8 and distributed with the earlier release that I have) does clearly say that Search will work with the USB (even though it does not yet, for many of us).

I wonder if part of this is the "switch" that controls Slacker vs. Spotify. Perhaps a European owner can chime in about there car. It could be the code that is loading Slacker is limiting the search, while the Spotify code is better integrated with the rest of the media player (at least in 8.0) and search can now work there.

Back in the 7.x days, the source switched got removed in both US cars and Euro cars because (among probably other things too) the Spotify ran in an isolated environment and couldn't be tapped in the existing manner for current station and song. So rather than rewriting it, they axed that option from both sides. Now, in 8.0, they may have written the Search function with Spotify cars in mind, but when the contracts didn't ready in time to release Spotify to the US, have Search operate within the Slacker "container" rather than be integrated with the rest of the media player, isolating it from USB.

This is pure conjecture on my part, so this "insight" is worth what I was paid to provide it ;)

The way to make this happen is to.. well, make it happen. Create the threads yourself when 8.1 is nearing. Populate them. Report other threads that pop up and suggest a merge with the existing threads. Own it, Hank! ;)

I'm *totally* happy to own it! Sure!

But I don't know when people will jump the gun and start threads talking about Firmware 8.1. Heck, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already (has it?).

I guess I'm too structured. I wouldn't want to start a set of real "Firmware 8.1" threads until it actually is released (or announced or demo'd), not have just 100% speculation threads.

And I don't want to just start them now, because they'll just get lost and others will just create new ones.

So I guess I'll wait until 8.1 is closer and try to corral the threads into some meaning as best I can, and alert the mods for things I can't do.

Not sure if I'm the only one this is happening to or not but I find myself hanging up on people prematurely now because the steering wheel button hangs up the first time now. You used to have to press it once to bring up the call meme then a second press to hang up. I always used to press once as I was nearing the end of my call... now I rudely cut people off. :)

Tried it on my drive home. Once it finished loading the USB, the two song titles I tried did come up - it created a new section above the rest of the results called USB. The one artist I tried didn't seem to work, though.

Not sure if I'm the only one this is happening to or not but I find myself hanging up on people prematurely now because the steering wheel button hangs up the first time now. You used to have to press it once to bring up the call meme then a second press to hang up. I always used to press once as I was nearing the end of my call... now I rudely cut people off. :)
Did not know that! I will have to try to remember it.

I'm sorry, did you just say that a search turned up two results at the top of your list that it pulled from USB storage?

I did. It did. 2.40.21 release notes specifically said it would. :)

IMG_0135.JPG

On further fiddling, the search works on albums and artists on USB, too - you just have to go to the tab for the respective type, the default top tab only gives song options from USB.

Last edited:
Does it work using voice search?

Kinda sorta.

The things I've tried so far have started playing a streaming song if a good match comes up, but if you push the search button on the center console, the results from the voice search are preloaded - including USB results which will play if tapped.

More obscure searches which don't get good streaming results open the search window directly, with the USB results again on top.

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311 and msnow
Oops my bad a few hundred pages back then, as I tried it and it did not work.

But in hindsight I was using file name to search vs. metadata. I specifically blanked the metadata for the file I was searching for -- I didn't know it would separate USB results, so I had created a search target that would not find anything on Slacker.

So, I am guessing it may only search MP3 metadata and not folder or file names ??? If so do FLAC files have similar metadata ?

edit: and wouldn't this mean that it would have to load the first bit(s ;) of every file to index ?

Not that I'm going to edit any metadata lol no thanks. Folder and file names are enough info for my media files.

Oops my bad a few hundred pages back then, as I tried it and it did not work.

But in hindsight I was using file name to search vs. metadata. I specifically blanked the metadata for the file I was searching for -- I didn't know it would separate USB results, so I had created a search target that would not find anything on Slacker.

So, I am guessing it may only search MP3 metadata and not folder or file names ??? If so do FLAC files have similar metadata ?

edit: and wouldn't this mean that it would have to load the first bit(s ;) of every file to index ?

Not that I'm going to edit any metadata lol no thanks. Folder and file names are enough info for my media files.

Actually, several folks said it didn't work before, so you might have been completely correct - for the firmware you had on your car. I thought USB searching was one of the changes 2.40.21 brought.