Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had Homelink garage door control issues since 8.0?

Our car has always very reliably opened and closed the garage door on leaving and returning and still does if I hit it by hand. However, on leaving, about one out of 3 times it fails to close the door and on arriving it almost always fails to open it when operating automatically.

The location where it tries is the same as always, and well inside the range of the system. What seems different is that it now sends the signal for what seems like a very brief time, just a short pulse. When I hit the icon manually, I hold it for a bit under a second and it always opens or closes, even if I'm much further away than when the car tries and fails.

Reactions: Lightmatrix

Our car has always very reliably opened and closed the garage door on leaving and returning and still does if I hit it by hand. However, on leaving, about one out of 3 times it fails to close the door and on arriving it almost always fails to open it when operating automatically.

The location where it tries is the same as always, and well inside the range of the system. What seems different is that it now sends the signal for what seems like a very brief time, just a short pulse. When I hit the icon manually, I hold it for a bit under a second and it always opens or closes, even if I'm much further away than when the car tries and fails.
No, mines the same. Have you tried to remove then re-add the geolocation?

Yep.. Same issue here. For me it seems to issue the open command too early. Now only works 1 of 4 times and before always worked.

It's always fun, although often obfuscatory, to be able to pull out a sesquipedalianism. :)
Oooh. The challenge is on! I particularly like Pulchritudinous

The other thing I got was ridiculous cliches, such as:

"Well, that went faster than the pumpkin pie through the hired girl" Still really don't know what that meant.

and

"Hold 'er Newt, she's gonna blow!" I love that one.

Enough on that! Back to the show.

Reactions: jgs
Oooh. The challenge is on! I particularly like Pulchritudinous

The other thing I got was ridiculous cliches, such as:

"Well, that went faster than the pumpkin pie through the hired girl" Still really don't know what that meant.

and

"Hold 'er Newt, she's gonna blow!" I love that one.

Enough on that! Back to the show.
My favorite Scottish insult: "He's got a face like a half-chewed caramel."

Reactions: jgs
I posted this on the Comprehensive Bug List thread, but it's relevant here as well. The equalizer is still doing this as random (some or all of the levels resetting to zero):

IMG_20161015_101315.jpg

I don't have to put songs playing when I shift to P on pause; they always resume when I start the car again. So for me the abrupt ending happens for every song that plays after I start. The range of time remaining, for the occasions on which I've looked to check, is from 29 to 61 secs.
To clarify my earlier post,I have observed the same behavior that you described as well.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia

I back mine in in order to charge, and every morning I have to just about stop at the chime now for it to possibly close the door.

No, no, no. What they need to do is give the developers a Tesla to actually drive for a few months. This is simply a problem of the software guys having no idea how the end user is trying to actually use the software. They have tons of TEFV's for this very purpose. Why not test software like they test hardware?

Brennan Boblett, Tesla's lead UI designer since 2010, left in late 2015 or early 2016 to work for Faraday Future. He left FF in May of this year to work for stealth projects at Uber. Anyone who wants to know why Tesla's software UI has gone down the toilet in recent months now know why. Boblett previously worked as a senior designer at Apple, which explains why version 6.X was so much better than anything that came after it. Someone actually used brain cells to design 6.X and thought about how the UI would be used in a vehicle where a minimum of distractions is imperative.

Today I have to interact much more with the 17" display and it does not offer me the same level of information that it used to. What previously took one touch now takes 2-3 touches. Version 8 is a big step backwards in usability for anyone who has UI design experience. I worked as a UI designer in the late 90s and have 15 years of high-level graphic design and branding experience under my belt. Version 8 does not seem to be based on any solid UI design principles.

Take a look at Boblett's own philosophies when he worked at Tesla in this article from 2013, you will see that much of this has been abandoned:

If you were to use five adjectives to describe Tesla's cockpit UX strategy going forward, what would they be?

The first word would be, “innovative.” Tesla has deliberately broken new ground with this design and we aspire to continually push the boundaries of in-car UI and UX.

“Intelligent” is another adjective that’s important because it’s not enough to just do something new for the sake of being new: it needs to be well-conceived—born out of an idea that is user-centric from the beginning and one that adapts to the user’s tastes and behaviors over time. Tesla embodies that. Our firmware platform is just as impressive and technologically advanced as the car’s exterior design language.

“Inspiring.” Good design should evoke a positive emotion. When you open the sunroof in our car from the touchscreen, it’s hard not to smile and relish in its simplicity and intuitiveness as you swipe your finger across the glass to drag the sunroof to the desired location, with precision down to the exact percentage.

“Sophisticated.” This is a premium car and, therefore, it also should have a premium user experience. That starts, first and foremost, with the vehicle being smart on your behalf and offering solutions that are likely what you need at that given moment.

“Empowering.” Nothing is compromised in a Model S, not even the UI. The software adapts to each driver’s preferences and configuration. You get to choose what “apps” you want displayed on either screen that may be beneficial for your drive, while having common controls (like climate) quickly accessible at all times.​

Brennan Boblett, Tesla's lead UI designer since 2010, left in late 2015 or early 2016 to work for Faraday Future. He left FF in May of this year to work for stealth projects at Uber. Anyone who wants to know why Tesla's software UI has gone down the toilet in recent months now know why. Boblett previously worked as a senior designer at Apple, which explains why version 6.X was so much better than anything that came after it. Someone actually used brain cells to design 6.X and thought about how the UI would be used in a vehicle where a minimum of distractions is imperative.

Today I have to interact much more with the 17" display and it does not offer me the same level of information that it used to. What previously took one touch now takes 2-3 touches. Version 8 is a big step backwards in usability for anyone who has UI design experience. I worked as a UI designer in the late 90s and have 15 years of high-level graphic design and branding experience under my belt. Version 8 does not seem to be based on any solid UI design principles.

Take a look at Boblett's own philosophies when he worked at Tesla in this article from 2013, you will see that much of this has been abandoned:

If you were to use five adjectives to describe Tesla's cockpit UX strategy going forward, what would they be?

The first word would be, “innovative.” Tesla has deliberately broken new ground with this design and we aspire to continually push the boundaries of in-car UI and UX.

“Intelligent” is another adjective that’s important because it’s not enough to just do something new for the sake of being new: it needs to be well-conceived—born out of an idea that is user-centric from the beginning and one that adapts to the user’s tastes and behaviors over time. Tesla embodies that. Our firmware platform is just as impressive and technologically advanced as the car’s exterior design language.

“Inspiring.” Good design should evoke a positive emotion. When you open the sunroof in our car from the touchscreen, it’s hard not to smile and relish in its simplicity and intuitiveness as you swipe your finger across the glass to drag the sunroof to the desired location, with precision down to the exact percentage.

“Sophisticated.” This is a premium car and, therefore, it also should have a premium user experience. That starts, first and foremost, with the vehicle being smart on your behalf and offering solutions that are likely what you need at that given moment.

“Empowering.” Nothing is compromised in a Model S, not even the UI. The software adapts to each driver’s preferences and configuration. You get to choose what “apps” you want displayed on either screen that may be beneficial for your drive, while having common controls (like climate) quickly accessible at all times.​
Ouch, basically verbatim what they are not doing now.