Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found another bug on the UI of 2.42.40 upon expanding/contracting the size of the Nav screen while following a route. Here's the scenario:

1. Start with a half-screen Nav with a route, as seen in the first image below

2. Expand Nav to full screen: notice the route doesn't recenter to the larger map, but stays in the lower half (not a huge deal) per the 2nd image below; eventually it will re-center as the car moves forward along the route

3. After the route re-centers while in full screen, shrink the Nav back to half screen, now the route is way off and mostly out of the picture! (see 3rd image below, sorry it's a little blurry)

Note that at no point did I move the actual map, the only button I pressed was the half/full-screen shortcut at the lower-left corner of the Nav pane.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Found another bug on the UI of 2.42.40 upon expanding/contracting the size of the Nav screen while following a route. Here's the scenario:

1. Start with a half-screen Nav with a route, as seen in the first image below

2. Expand Nav to full screen: notice the route doesn't recenter to the larger map, but stays in the lower half (not a huge deal) per the 2nd image below; eventually it will re-center as the car moves forward along the route

3. After the route re-centers while in full screen, shrink the Nav back to half screen, now the route is way off and mostly out of the picture! (see 3rd image below, sorry it's a little blurry)

Note that at no point did I move the actual map, the only button I pressed was the half/full-screen shortcut at the lower-left corner of the Nav pane.
Mine seemed to correct itself after a few minutes (v121) but I had a related problem:

After starting a nav trip the map never showed the whole route. It zoomed into a default view for the local area I was at. As I progressed on the trip the car tracking icon left the screen. I waited for a number of minutes and the map never panned/zoomed.

I also noticed that the little route icon, shown in your pictures on the upper right, was gray. I had to cycle that icon to get it to turn white which then caused the screen to behave normally from then on.

I just had the same thing happen, and I assume it's because the SC loaded it on. I can't be sure it's that version, but it confirms that there's a newer one for the Model S than 2.42.40.

I got back car back from the SC yesterday afternoon and installed the update at night, it was 2.44.121.

No new release notes relative to 2.42.40, but this version does fix the bug I reported above with the Nav route when switching between full and half screen.

FWIW I was down at my local service center for a minor fix on my 2013 S85. They queued up 2.44.121 for me. Just installed it at home (I think that it saves them time and gets the Fast Lane cars out of the shop). No major issues (...still hate the touchscreen UI).

I'm finding with 2.42.40 that there are still some scenarios that force the Media player to rescan a USB drive. (Takes 7 minutes for me so I can't listen to my tunes during that time).

Seems like if the car's been sleeping for awhile, it doesn't scan. But if I stop for about 8 minutes somewhere and the car hasn't yet gone to sleep, then when I get in to drive again it has to rescan. But not always...

You man Tesla programmers are still stumped with nested IF-THEN-ELSE loops? I learned about those in the 1980s...

Ok I've now tested the last scenario I described above, and the behavior isn't what I would expect. Here's how it went down:

1. AP engaged in a 50mph zone, max speed possible is 55mph - fine. TACC set to that speed.

2. 40mph zone ahead: as soon as the car passes the 40mph sign, the car slows down to 45mph - fine. Max speed I can set is 45mph, and as you know pushing the TACC stalk up no longer increases beyond max speed - not great, but can live with it.

3. 40mph zone is over, speed limit is now 50mph again. After the car passes the 50mph sign, which it recognized and updated the IC with the new speed limit, car still travels at 45mph - NOT fine. Max speed that was set to 45mph does not revert to 55mph.

Keep in mind that during this whole period there was ZERO input from the driver besides keeping hands on the wheel.
I would expect the car to resume max speed to 55mph after the 40mph zone is over. I mean, I was in a 50mph zone to begin with!

I'd like to give an update to the new 8.0 "feature" I reported above.

With the latest update that I received last Thursday (2.44.121) evening, step #3 above is no longer behaving the same - which is great!

1. Same as above
2. Same as above
3. After the car passes the 50mph speed limit sign, the max speed goes back up to 55mph and the car gently accelerates to 55mph (as long as no slower car is ahead). Yippee!!

Just to be sure, I tested this on the exact same road as the one I first reported the quoted behavior on.

Thank you Tesla for listening, and more importantly acting quickly to fix this; it is much appreciated :)

Last edited:
I'd like to give an update to the new 8.0 "feature" I reported above.

With the latest update that I received last Thursday (2.44.121) evening, step #3 above is no longer behaving the same - which is great!

1. Same as above
2. Same as above
3. After the car passes the 50mph speed limit sign, the max speed goes back up to 55mph and the car gently accelerates to 55mph (as long as no slower car is ahead). Yippee!!

Just to be sure, I tested this on the exact same road as the one I first reported the quoted behavior on.

Thank you Tesla for listening, and more importantly acting quickly to fix this; it is much appreciated :)
Did you actually report this to them?

You man Tesla programmers are still stumped with nested IF-THEN-ELSE loops? I learned about those in the 1980s...

Just competency :)
For someone who has constantly harped on Tesla software quality and implied you could do a better job, a demonstration of your own competency would be nice. A typo and a mischaracterization of conditionals are not a good start. Glass houses and all.

For someone who has constantly harped on Tesla software quality and implied you could do a better job, a demonstration of your own competency would be nice. A typo and a mischaracterization of conditionals are not a good start. Glass houses and all.
A monkey could do a better job. I'm busy selling real estate, no thanks, but I know enough about UI design having worked in that industry for over 10 years to see that Tesla has some serious lack of talent in that arena. Backed up by what most people here have to say, pardon me if I don't collapse in the face of your critique lol. Please explain to me how I am mischaracterizing anything?

Reactions: mrElbe
A monkey could do a better job. I'm busy selling real estate, no thanks, but I know enough about UI design having worked in that industry for over 10 years to see that Tesla has some serious lack of talent in that arena. Backed up by what most people here have to say, pardon me if I don't collapse in the face of your critique lol. Please explain to me how I am mischaracterizing anything?
As a software development team leader, I can offer some insight into the quality issues, perceived or otherwise, in the Tesla software. First off, software quality has very little to do with the ability to write a for loop or correctly construct a conditional. Software quality is just one variable in the business cycle, along with time-to-market and available resources. Tesla needs to direct their resources to where they are needed the most, from the business perspective. Developing cutting edge autopilot technology and making their battery management software bulletproof appear to be their top priorities. They hire the best people into these positions. The direct direct money to these areas. This needs to be high-quality software.

Overhauling the media player or refreshing the GUI don't receive the same attention. These teams are undoubtedly less resourced and probably have less experience as a whole. They are probably also given highly unrealistic deadlines with little time to follow proper software development processes, not the least of which is integration testing. It is no surprise that these components fail more often. But Tesla has decided to put their resources elsewhere. It's a conscious business decision. It is not due to code jockeys not knowing how to program.

Now, let me tell you all about the real estate business...