Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon promised 8.1 starting in a few weeks - and also talked about features that will be in 8.01 before 8.1 comes out - so I'm thinking this slowdown you're seeing is an indication that we're about to see 8.01 rolling...

I'm starting to agree. Something is probably up -- there's been little to no updates for a while now. I suspect either this is gearing up for 8.1, or there will be yet another everyone-gets-it 8.0 update.

I'm starting to agree. Something is probably up -- there's been little to no updates for a while now. I suspect either this is gearing up for 8.1, or there will be yet another everyone-gets-it 8.0 update.
I'm thinking it's more 8.1 because Elon has always said December which is also a requirement for AP2 plus last week he tweeted that 8.1 would be out "in about 3 weeks".

Question: Why do we trust the car to keep its lane and position when it can't keep my fade/stream position selections? Not my point, but a friend's, and made me think...
I certainly don't trust the car to keep its lane. No sir. I have my hands clamped firmly on the wheel at all times. Sometimes I let it run off the road just so I can send the video to Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: MMC- and JenniferQ
No update since 2.42.40 many weeks ago. Even knowing how random (or may just unknowable to me) updates can be this is sort of annoying, particularly as AP lane keeping has been significantly worse since 8.0 and I'm waiting on a magic fix! ;)

I would like confirmation from any others who got 2.48.16, but it looks like you now can't set the AP autosteer over the recognized speed limit on non-divided highways. You used to be able to set it for 5 over, but now the speed limit is it. I rebooted just to make sure it wasn't an "update anomaly" and it's still doing the same thing.

TACC alone still behaves as before, allowing you to go over the speed limit.

Last edited:
I would like confirmation from any others who got 2.48.16, but it looks like you now can't set the AP lane keeping over the recognized speed limit on non-divided highways. You used to be able to set it for 5 over, but now the speed limit is it. I rebooted just to make sure it wasn't an "update anomaly" and it's still doing the same thing.

TACC alone still behaves as before, allowing you to go over the speed limit.

Did you check your speed assist settings to see if it got set to "0 over"?

IMG_6852.JPG.jpeg
IMG_6855.jpg

I think this is a pattern we are seeing with regulators getting involved and restricting things.

In the UK we now have a limitation where a car cannot "undertake".
The US I believe are more relaxed about lane discipline but in the UK it is not allowed unless in queueing traffic.
The problem this causes is that if eg I am in the "inside" lane and car in the "outside" lane slows for any reason then I now get slowed quite abruptly by AP, which in turn creates an unexpected braking scenario which I consider a dangerous safety risk in its own right.

The problem Tesla has is that if it is seen to condone speed in excess of the limit or other behaviour considered outside regulations irrespective of "the driver is in control mantra" then it is Tesla that will take the heat not the driver from the less well informed majority.

Steadily excessive and invasive regulation can make AP less and less of a desirable feature.