Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are on; 8.0 (v2.42.40) and I for one am looking forward to, CHANGE.
My issues are mainly with the AP. or as I call it,, ( -Auto Assist- )
Every since we down loaded v2.42.40, the car can not be trusted around semi trucks :). If I approach a truck which is on the center line or over the center line, towards us, our car demands her 'Center of the Lane' stance. I can see from the car's ultra sound sensors, (which by the way, turn on around the rear tandems, then off, when passing the middle of the trailer, then back on again around the driver's door), that the car is aware of the truck, but refuses to give it any ground. It is so scary, that I just tug the steering wheel to disconnect the AP, then reconnect once we are past ANY trucks. I was thinking that when approaching a truck, that the software was suppose to allow for a 'nudge factor', when the sensors could not see an object under the middle of the trailer. Our car actually will drift towards the trailer, and stay there when approaching the fuel tanks. The sensors are a deep yellow at that point!
As a Foot Note, don't even ask me how well I like the 'Clearance Avoidance' BSM, features.

Last edited:
As long a Tesla can't be 100% accurate with the speed limits, they have no business being autopilot nannies.
The problem is, that same line of argumentation can pretty easily end up "... they have no business providing autopilot." I don't want them to cave in to fear of that perspective, but I acknowledge it exists and they have to manage it.

I've seen a lot of speculation in this thread that they were compelled by regulators to drop the max AP speed. It's a little surprising to have gotten no communication from Tesla about it though (yes I know they don't communicate effectively or well but they've often been better about AP changes). Lacking any official word, I think all we can say is "the latest version does this thing" but can't with confidence say why; it could even be a bug for all I know. Has anyone tried tweeting Elon about it?

The problem is, that same line of argumentation can pretty easily end up "... they have no business providing autopilot." I don't want them to cave in to fear of that perspective, but I acknowledge it exists and they have to manage it.

I've seen a lot of speculation in this thread that they were compelled by regulators to drop the max AP speed. It's a little surprising to have gotten no communication from Tesla about it though (yes I know they don't communicate effectively or well but they've often been better about AP changes). Lacking any official word, I think all we can say is "the latest version does this thing" but can't with confidence say why; it could even be a bug for all I know. Has anyone tried tweeting Elon about it?
Not that I've seen, go for it!

Noticed an additional warning that I hadn't seen before. When overriding set speed on Autosteer (and I preseume TACC, but didn't try) it now says something about the accelerator being pressed and automatic braking will not occur. I'll snap a pic on my way home. Weather/traffic was too bad to attempt this morning.

Reactions: Evee
On undivided roads, the speed cannot be set over the speed limit

My speedo under-reports by 2MPH-ish - according to my SatNav. I don't want to waste time driving 2 MPH slower than the speed limit ... so if Tesla want to enforce that they definitely need to make sure that my speedo is 100% accurate at all times.

I don't have any complaint about the speed limit being enforced. Its always amazed me that this isn't a legal requirement for car manufacturers where the technology exists. If the speed limit is too low drivers should campaign to have it raised, but I can't see any reason to think it is acceptable to ignore it - flow-of-traffic is surely not a mitigation in law (even if it is a safety concern). I figure that Mr Nice Policeman is not going to bother with me doing 10% over, and I mostly do do that, but I can't see a problem where autonomous brings with it "speed limit never exceeded".