Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
This update includes Side collision warning, speed limit assist, auto headlights and auto dim display. Here are the screenshots ...

Im on 2.40.42 and have side collision warning. It's alerted me a couple of times. Trying to get it on camera.

Do you have AP2 hardware? The comment is specific to AP2 hardware, which released without any side collision warning / side AP "whiskers" in the IC due to the new ultrasonics.

And if you do, the hardware's only a month old! <insert some rude remarks here about driving ability to trigger multiple side collision warnings in that timeframe> :D

M
Do you have AP2 hardware? The comment is specific to AP2 hardware, which released without any side collision warning / side AP "whiskers" in the IC due to the new ultrasonics.

And if you do, the hardware's only a month old! <insert some rude remarks here about driving ability to trigger multiple side collision warnings in that timeframe> :D
My Mistake. Trying to catch up on too many pages of posts... and I was testing the side collision. Trying to capture it on video for my Channel.

Here is the latest rollout ... Tesla starts adding features to new Autopilot cars in order to match the older version

Tesla promises that its new Autopilot hardware will enable all of its new vehicles to eventually reach level 5 autonomous driving capability, but in the meantime, they are lacking several features that have long been available in its cars equipped with the first generation Autopilot. Over the weekend, Tesla started pushing a new update to start adding those features, but new owners will have to wait a little longer for features most associated with Autopilot, like Autosteer or Traffic-aware cruise control. expand full story

Those are expected to arrive by the end of the month with version 8.1 of Tesla’s software, which should also come with several user interface improvements and an updated mobile app that will also be helpful to owners without the new Autopilot hardware.

As for the update pushed over-the-air this weekend, it added features such as Auto-dimming headlights and touchscreen, which are not really associated with Tesla’s Autopilot, but they rely on the same sensor suite to detect their environment and dim appropriately. Therefore, the feature needed to be adapted to the new sensor architecture. Side collision warning and Speed assist have also been enabled by the new update.

Here’s a list of the features available in vehicles with Autopilot 1, but not Autopilot 2.
The ones currently being pushed to new vehicles are strikethrough/underline:

• Auto windshield wipers
  • Auto low beam headlights
  • Auto high beam headlights
  • Auto-dimming touchscreen B instrument cluster
  • Park assist
  • Blind spot detection
  • Forward collision warning
  • Auto emergency braking
  • Side collision warning
  • Side collision avoidance
  • Lane departure warning
  • Speed assist
  • Traffic-aware cruise control
  • Autosteer
  • Auto lane change
  • Autopark
  • Summon

Here is the latest rollout ... Tesla starts adding features to new Autopilot cars in order to match the older version

Tesla promises that its new Autopilot hardware will enable all of its new vehicles to eventually reach level 5 autonomous driving capability, but in the meantime, they are lacking several features that have long been available in its cars equipped with the first generation Autopilot. Over the weekend, Tesla started pushing a new update to start adding those features, but new owners will have to wait a little longer for features most associated with Autopilot, like Autosteer or Traffic-aware cruise control. expand full story

Those are expected to arrive by the end of the month with version 8.1 of Tesla’s software, which should also come with several user interface improvements and an updated mobile app that will also be helpful to owners without the new Autopilot hardware.

As for the update pushed over-the-air this weekend, it added features such as Auto-dimming headlights and touchscreen, which are not really associated with Tesla’s Autopilot, but they rely on the same sensor suite to detect their environment and dim appropriately. Therefore, the feature needed to be adapted to the new sensor architecture. Side collision warning and Speed assist have also been enabled by the new update.

Here’s a list of the features available in vehicles with Autopilot 1, but not Autopilot 2.
The ones currently being pushed to new vehicles are strikethrough/underline:

• Auto windshield wipers
  • Auto low beam headlights
  • Auto high beam headlights
  • Auto-dimming touchscreen B instrument cluster
  • Park assist
  • Blind spot detection
  • Forward collision warning
  • Auto emergency braking
  • Side collision warning
  • Side collision avoidance
  • Lane departure warning
  • Speed assist
  • Traffic-aware cruise control
  • Autosteer
  • Auto lane change
  • Autopark
  • Summon

So that brings AP2 cars to where AP1 cars were on release - except they get side collision warning instead of auto wipers. Hopefully the ramp up will be quicker, though.

I find out two days later I'm already 3 versions behind

Technically yes, but I think in reality not. I am only seeing one car on each of the three later releases on TeslaFi (and one car on each of only two newer versions on ev-fw.com); they are probably advanced beta testers or similar. Once the numbers on those releases (or a newer, wide-release-version-number) ramp up then we can all look out for an update :)

Huh. I didn't live it, but I thought the two features they launched with were auto highbeams and speed limit warning.

It definitely launched with "speed assist", and the highbeam stuff definitely came later. I actually recall posts on here--at least some by andrewket--requesting the high beam stuff, as it had not even been promised initially. I could be mistaken on the timing, but I think the highbeam stuff came in the same update as TACC.

Edit: Here are a couple of the threads--

Automatic high beams?

Valet mode and automatic high beams

andrewket wound up gettng both requests: :)

I just sent two feature requests to ownership@

1. As discussed many times, a valet mode to restrict power and speed. With the P85D, this is now critical. Use a pin via the 17", or maybe enable/disable with the smartphone app.

2. Automatic high beams. The autopilot hardware should be able to support this with the front facing camera.

If you would like to see either of these features, make your voice heard and email ownership.

A

Last edited: