Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(This may have been discussed upthread)
Has anyone else noticed how the phone contact information is listed backwards? If I say "Call John Smith" his contact information comes up and the choice of phone numbers is listed backwards from how it is entered in my iPhone. I can never choose the first number that appears, and have to scroll down to the preferred number.
The same goes for name matches. When there are several close voice recognition matches, it seems to always list the order with the least likely name on the top, having to scroll down to the most likely name on the bottom.

Has anyone else noticed how the phone contact information is listed backwards? If I say "Call John Smith" his contact information comes up and the choice of phone numbers is listed backwards from how it is entered in my iPhone. I can never choose the first number that appears, and have to scroll down to the preferred number.

That is an EXCELLENT point! I had noticed the need to scroll, but had not realized that the listings are actually reversed from how they are in my phone. How silly!

You should write this up for Tesla, and send it to [email protected].

Reactions: Ahisaac
Not sure how long this will last, but for the moment there appears to be a pattern to build numbers 17.x.yy.

If x is an even number (17.2.12, 17.4.14) then the build is going to HW1 and pre-Autopilot cars
If x is an odd number (17.3.2, 17.3.15) then the build is for HW2 cars. I know some cars are showing as not having AP, but I am speculating that these are HW2 cars where the Enhanced AP option was not purchased.

Previously, any build could go to any car. Given the significant change to the processing hardware with HW2, it makes sense to have major fork of the software streams and hence build numbers.

The test of the hypothesis will be if this pattern continues once we see 17.5.y and 17.6.y. Or just another fluke.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I noticed a subtle change in the IC animation with 17.4.14. In addition to the cars directly in front me showing a relative angle (which appeared with the first 8.0 builds), cars in the adjacent lane are also doing this. Specifically, I was at a T intersection, stopped in the left turn lane. Traffic in the right lane was flowing and making a right turn. The animation in the display was tracking the angle of the cars as they turned. While it is possible that this has been around for a while and I just missed it, but I would be surprised because the effect is quite eye catching.

am speculating that these are HW2 cars where the Enhanced AP option was not purchased.

The setting of HW1/HW2 was initially done by VIN cutoff. It's possible that some cars were mis-classified and not yet corrected by their owners.

Also, as a software developer, I don't believe in "smart-coding" build numbers to different platforms. Sure, it's nice at first, but really breaks down quickly and in a short time period, and creates more problems than it solves, which is zero.

Reactions: bmah
Not sure how long this will last, but for the moment there appears to be a pattern to build numbers 17.x.yy.

If x is an even number (17.2.12, 17.4.14) then the build is going to HW1 and pre-Autopilot cars
If x is an odd number (17.3.2, 17.3.15) then the build is for HW2 cars. I know some cars are showing as not having AP, but I am speculating that these are HW2 cars where the Enhanced AP option was not purchased.

Previously, any build could go to any car. Given the significant change to the processing hardware with HW2, it makes sense to have major fork of the software streams and hence build numbers.

The test of the hypothesis will be if this pattern continues once we see 17.5.y and 17.6.y. Or just another fluke.

The second number xx (of 2.xx.yy) has been the release week for quite some time now (look back in 2016, matches very well). The first number has changed from generic "2" to the year "17" for releases this year.

So it is now year.week.zz, where zz is some incremental number.

Other theories?

The second number xx (of 2.xx.yy) has been the release week for quite some time now (look back in 2016, matches very well). The first number has changed from generic "2" to the year "17" for releases this year.

Other theories?

Very cool observation. Second place number always correlates to a week #. Only two exceptions to that which was 101.69.2 which is a "beta" build. And the "17." also makes sense for year.

Other theories?
The idea may have merit if the year.week corresponds some engineering / testing release point for the build. Per data from the Firmware Tracker, initial observed deployment in the field appears to lag by a week or two:
17.4.14 first reported 1/29 (2017 week 5)
17.3.15 first reported 1/25 (2017 week 4)
17.3.2 first reported 1/21 (2017 week 3)
17.2.12 first reported 1/21 (2017 week 3)
2.52.120 first reported 1/14 (2017 week 2)
2.52.36 first reported 1/9 (2017 week 2)

Which invites speculation as to whether engineering is alternating weeks for releasing builds targeting HW1/PreAP or targeting HW2.

The idea may have merit if the year.week corresponds some engineering / testing release point for the build. Per data from the Firmware Tracker, initial observed deployment in the field appears to lag by a week or two:
17.4.14 first reported 1/29 (2017 week 5)
17.3.15 first reported 1/25 (2017 week 4)
17.3.2 first reported 1/21 (2017 week 3)
17.2.12 first reported 1/21 (2017 week 3)
2.52.120 first reported 1/14 (2017 week 2)
2.52.36 first reported 1/9 (2017 week 2)

Which invites speculation as to whether engineering is alternating weeks for releasing builds targeting HW1/PreAP or targeting HW2.

I hope there is some final QA before they push the releases to the fleet!