Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I remember it working prior to 8.0 was as follows:

1. Call is placed/received, right side of IC changed to phone app
2. Clicking the right scroll wheel once brought a context menu to mute/end call etc.
3. Scrolling the wheel (instead of clicking it) acted per usual, based on your default function (vent/open sunroof, change climate temp, vent speed, display brightness, etc)
3. Tapping the button below the right scroll wheel brought up the menu selection for the scroll wheel control (vent/open sunroof, change climate temp, vent speed, display brightness, etc)
4. Holding the scroll wheel brought up the app selection menu
5. Scrolling the left wheel changed volume, pressing it once muted you, holding it brought up the app selection for the left side of the IC

I'm pretty sure this would be in the 7.x manual somewhere, let me try to find it for you guys.

Thanks, Marc!

And please don't waste any time looking through an old manual for this. The above is great info! And I think you are correct on all of it!

Edit: Just realized the one thing you left out was what we were trying to figure out, which was what the right display showed DURING the call, if no buttons were being pushed. Do you happen to remember that?

Thanks, Marc!

And please don't waste any time looking through an old manual for this. The above is great info! And I think you are correct on all of it!

No worries, found it (ignore the first paragraph, it's from a different section):

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 12.54.05 PM.png

Edit: Just realized the one thing you left out was what we were trying to figure out, which was what the right display showed DURING the call, if no buttons were being pushed. Do you happen to remember that?

I'm pretty sure it showed the caller's name (or number if not in contacts), a call counter in minutes:seconds, and a single button labeled "Call Options". Which is why the manual said to tap the scroll wheel once to "display call options that allow you to perform an action on the call".

I'm pretty sure it showed the caller's name (or number if not in contacts), a call counter in minutes:seconds, and a single button labeled "Call Options". Which is why the manual said to tap the scroll wheel once to "display call options that allow you to perform an action on the call".

Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up.

So @NOLA_Mike and I were both correct in how we were remembering things.

Now if we can just get Tesla to give us back the ability to change apps while on the call...

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up.

So @NOLA_Mike and I were both correct in how we were remembering things.

Now if we can just get Tesla to give us back the ability to change apps while on the call...

Sure thing! Actually I'll do one better :D

Digging through my photo library of Tesla screenshots (yes, I have many...) I found the shot below of the IC display, which I kept because of a separate charging issue at work, but it has the "Call Options" button I was remembering.

BTW this is from 26 October 2015, which is about 2 weeks after I received & installed the first Firmware 7.0 version 2.7.56:

IMG_1913.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
Is the power display available on the left side? (I know some things are and some things aren't, and I just don't know about that one.) I guess if the power display --CAN-- be brought up on the left side of the IC my last point is not valid.

The only two that are locked at the moment are the Navigation (Left only) and the Phone Call (Right only). Everything else can be on either side.

IMO there's a lot of space potential that's wasted on the instrument cluster display.

No reason the "power/regen ring" couldn't be displayed all the time around the speed.

No reason the current call info couldn't be displayed on top of other stuff, but in the corner.

No reason the trips/odo couldn't be displayed all the time.

In an attempt to keep the display "simple" and only allowing two little apps to display at a time, I constantly have to switch between media, nav, trips, and other displays. It's annoying.

Strongly recommend Tesla make an effort to streamline the IC so we can see more info simultaneously.

I am on 22 with HW1 and the ultrasonic sensors seem more sensitive. Not sure if they are more sensitive or the screen display has been modified to show vehicles a little further out. They also seem quicker to refresh, and on AP they will be orange when a vehicle is slightly closer to my side but still in their lane and the S will move over slightly.

I have AP 1 on my December 2014 P85DL. In verison 8.0(2.52.22), a curve that previously had been handled well with Autosteer now is not handled nearly as well as before.

There are two curves that I take frequently that I have been using to evaluate Autosteer. One is the curve from Route 81 North to Route 481 North, and the other is the curve from 481 South to 81 South. Below is a picture of this interchange.

81 481 interchange.jpg

Autosteer's behavior on these two curves seems to change practically with every update.

I have always attempted to take these curves at 70 MPH, allowing the car to slow as necessary.

A couple of updates ago I stopped being able to use autosteer on the 81 North to 481 North curve, which is a bit downhill, as Autosteer would under steer, and if I did not take over I would have been off the road, to the left--the outside of the curve.

Yesterday, attempting to handle the 481 S to 81 S curve, which is a bit uphill, the car moved so far inside the curve that it got into the rumble strip. I took over, though it was possible I did not have to. Before my most recent update, the car handled that curve just fine.

The one big plus in this update is that I did not have the car slow down for random cars on the shoulder. In fact I passed a car stopped on the inside shoulder, while I was in the left lane doing 70 MPH, and though I was alert and expecting the car to possibly slow down, it did not. So I'd say that is an improvement.

Anyone else with AP1 seeing some regression on curves like the ones pictured above?

• Helpful
Reactions: jldf310
pretty much the same in the UK, regular driving on the same roads and the current build loses the lane on many more occasions than previously, liveable but disappointing progress.

Big plus though is much improved warnings for stationary objects in lane, so I assume the new radar mode is active now and seems to be working very well.

• Informative
-I noticed that a long press of an icon puts my selection at the top of the screen.
Actually the long press should bring up a menu. It doesn't look like much, just two rectangles, stacked. These represent the two positions on the CID. You select the desired position to "drop" the app with this menu, and since the top one is under your finger when the menu draws, if you just let go you get the top of the screen. If you slide your finger down to select the other position, you get the bottom. It's been that way for a good long time (forever?).

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: sbtz and Cyclone
Now that you put it that way, I think you are right about that part of it--the fact that "end call" is available all the time, and didn't used to be. But is it possible that THAT aspect of it changed, and previously the phone app was still the active app, but was displaying, say, a status instead of options? For example, could it have simply been displaying the number or contact that had been dialed?

On my 7.1 car, the dialed/incoming number + call timer remain on the screen until the call ends (unless I switch apps). Even on a car, a single click does NOT hang up the phone. I like the way it is now and it will be another change I'll have to get used to someday.

• Informative
On my 7.1 car, the dialed/incoming number + call timer remain on the screen until the call ends (unless I switch apps). Even on a car, a single click does NOT hang up the phone. I like the way it is now and it will be another change I'll have to get used to someday.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do others still think the change in behavior is intentional, instead of being a bug? If so, why do you think Tesla would allow changes away from the Nav app on the left, but would not allow changes away from the phone app on the right?

I maintain my belief that this is just a bug. Now whether Tesla chooses to fix it or not is another story.