Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had delivery of my P100D two weeks ago but I am still stuck on 2.52.120. Is this normal? My dealership says:

Because the updates are done in various batches across the global fleet it’s not uncommon for an update to differ by a week from the earliest instances of downloads.

I missed 17.5.28 entirely and haven't been prompted about 17.5.36 yet.

I had delivery of my P100D two weeks ago but I am still stuck on 2.52.120. Is this normal? My dealership says:

I missed 17.5.28 entirely and haven't been prompted about 17.5.36 yet.

Normal. Some updates go fleet wide in a few days, some trickle out slowly, some never go beyond a few cars for whatever reason.

My AP1 X is still on 2.52.22, haven't had an update in a month or two - presumably because of the focus on getting AP2 sorted out.

Hopefully we'll all see 8.1 soon, and get to start complaining about a new set of problems on a new thread. :)

Is this normal?

Yes and no. Yes it is normal for a new update to be spread over a period of time. Sometimes the update is pulled, sometimes some cars don't get an update, those cars that were first this time might not be next time, and so on.

However ... the logging sites show that all cars (bar one or two) that used to have 2.52.120 have been upgraded, so if yours hasn't then:

• If it has not been near WiFi best to move it so that it is. Updates will download over mobile-network, but often that is later than those with WiFi connections.
  • If you have been near WiFi then i suggest you call Tesla - given that that version has been thoroughly superseded already. Your download might have stalled, or some other problem.

Someone else, with a new car, reported the same problem (and the same version). I wonder if new cars don't get into the update rota - until the next-later-on version comes out ...

I was hoping that the highway speed would have increased more than the ability to use it on surface streets. Also hoping to see less "Oh crap, an overhead sign!! Slam on the brakes!!! ... I mean, never mind. Proceed."
I drove to New Orleans and back 2 weeks ago and had many phantom collision warnings.
  • Driving over overpasses with about a 10 foot elevation change, the first time the car slammed on the brakes at 75 mph. Fortunately that were not a car on my bumper because I would have gotten rear ended. This happened multiple times.
  • Got phantom collision warnings and heavy braking when going under a bridge crossing left to right of the interstate.
  • Got phantom collision warnings and heavy braking when going under large interstate signs above the interstate
  • Got phantom collision warnings and heavy braking when passing a large sign on the right side of the interstate.
There were also many times that the car would brake but not give the collision warning. I took it is for service and they took the front bumper off (HW 2.0 car) and calibrated the radar. I have felt a few slow downs but I have not been on major highways to check it out again.

The fake brakes are a real pain. It's not every overhead sign. It's not every bridge, etc. It's not even the same sign or bridge from day to day. So you really don't know when to be extra diligent. I'm always paying attention, but humans do have a response time and it brakes when it brakes and gives no warning. And in most cases humans are conditioned to brake in times of panic, which is exactly the opposite of what you have to do in these situations. I just never have TACC enabled if I'm getting tailed.

Reactions: croman
I took it is for service and they took the front bumper off (HW 2.0 car) and calibrated the radar. I have felt a few slow downs but I have not been on major highways to check it out again.

Let us know if their radar tweaks made any difference. I, and others, have had the same problems. Some have said "it will get better when the Mothership learns". I don't buy that though. There's no logical reason the car should react to an overhead sign as you're about to go under it.

So I received 17.5.36 yesterday morning (Wednesday), observations so far
1) I am getting 'Driver Assistance Features Unavailable' significantly less - ie. once on my trips yesterday and it cleared itself inside 10mins
2) Highway speed remains same as previous firmware and as others have stated I hoped to see it increase. I can only use it in heavy traffic which is a shame
3) Local road auto-steer is cool but a bit more frightening than highway auto-steer.
  • It sometimes positions either too far to the left in the lane which is frightening with traffic from the other direction, especially when one of those drivers positions themselves either on the line or slightly over it.
  • Snow oh snow, I live in MA and we have quite a bit of snow piled up at the side of the road. In most cases Auto-steer saw it and avoided it, although it did position itself a little too close for my liking. But once last night it veered right into it and so I took over at the last minute and caught the snow lightly.
  • Stop signs and traffic lights are ignored - sort of obvious at this stage but it does mean you are nursing and watching auto-steer very, very closely and if you are not familiar with the roads and lights or stops catch you out then you have to be on your guard.
  • Lastly while on auto-steer a fire truck came rushing in the other direction and the car in front of me pulled over and stopped, as expected, auto-steer didn't quite understand that and started to accelerate to take the gap that appeared. Obviously I jumped in and took over and pulled over but this raised a question and a thought for how will fully-autonomous work in that situation.

Anyway just my thoughts after a day or so of .36