Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, this reminds me of a story/incident/annoyance that I'm sure you all haven't heard about yet...

so as I was driving my AP enabled Model S down the rail line...

rail line mode in V8.0 - hadn't heard that rumor

So if you get a pantograph instead of a roofrack you can pick up overhead electric too?
-thinking you might need a step down transformer though

sad that you will only be able to do this if you have the sunroof option

btw sorry to nit but you dont need AP on a rail line - just sayin

Reactions: Lex
No, JB is the CTO of Tesla Motors and he is also in charge of Tesla Energy. His technical expertise in the areas of EVs and storage batteries is exceptional. He has no time to be the COO of Tesla Motors.

Eventually someone will come along who Elon will feel comfortable passing the Tesla Motors CEO position on to. He may already have identified that person in his mind. We have no idea.
This is a public company so that would be the Board's decision. At some point, and before that decision becomes necessary, the makeup of the Board (as the body accountable to all shareholders) should be independent. Also the CEO and COB positions should be separated to reflect a more modern governance model.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher and ohmman
If you're at a Service Centre you probably just geofence triggered the latest recent minor point release for USA (2.34.115 thanks to firmware tracker) which seems just a few days old.

When 8 is unleashed it will go out en masse and also for multiple countries, if they follow the same pattern from 7. But that was before they needed to manage the different versions of Summon (and possibly other AP and safety stuff) around the world...

If you're at a Service Centre you probably just geofence triggered the latest recent minor point release for USA (2.34.115 thanks to firmware tracker) which seems just a few days old.

When 8 is unleashed it will go out en masse and also for multiple countries, if they follow the same pattern from 7. But that was before they needed to manage the different versions of Summon (and possibly other AP and safety stuff) around the world...
I also don't see 8.0 being released before Elon's much-awaited blog post. Maybe that has changed since the SpaceX anomaly, but it seems as if they were a few weeks out anyway.

Someone has to be #1 to install 8.0. It could even be a fluke, updating somebody outside of the EAP program.
We need @Ingineer to analyse the content of the update in question to know for sure what's going on. Updates taking that long have an impact on AP for sure, though. Please be our guinea pig, @FloridaScott ,

The various regions have features enabled/disabled either by the car's configuration or by requesting a feature authorization from the Mothership, depending on the feature in question. For instance, you can't use summon without an OK from the Mothership, and the car sends it's current GPS position when it requests this, so it can be done by location. For instance, if one state in the US were to outlaw it, Tesla could easily enforce that. Other features, such as browser access, are set in the car's config, just like things such as supercharging.

Are you saying even if Tesla enables fob-activated Summon for Australian cars, I still won't be able to use it in places without 3G connection (e.g. underground car parks)?
No, once it's authorized, it will stay working until it checks in with the server again. If the server changes it's response (disabling the feature), then it's off until they decide otherwise. It seems to check in often, at least once a day if I remember correctly.

@Lex
Thanks for the info. I was at the Fremont Factory (service center) Supercharging today and got the firmware update notice. Since it is not 8.0 per this conversation, I went ahead and accepted the update as a new version of the previous platform. Let's see when 8.0 comes out and how it really works!