Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@e-FTW sure! But I'd take screen mirroring as a mid-way step. Of course proper carplay support would be best. Anyway, not high hopes that we are getting either :(
As others have said, it is unlikely we will ever get full mirroring, as there are too many liability concerns around having all your phone's apps and functionalities on a screen this big right in the driver's field of vision.

Would be nice if Bluetooth streaming could get the Apt-X codec for improved quality.

I recall in the French Q+A Elon said he was looking for more than Carplay/Android Auto so I am not expecting these, but will be interesting what Tesla come up with within the obvious safety contraints of video playback etc.

Personally, programming journeys offline and uploading them to the car would be cool
A major update to the DAB radio interface is also needed.

And the mobile apps are way short of what they could be, perhaps a major update could enable enhanced mobile functionality

Apple maps is better than tesla maps. I'd take CarPlay over what we have today, but of course screen mirroring would be even better. In fact it doesn't even have to be two way mirroring including touch. It would be nice to launch waze or media and just plug in the phone and watch directions on the big screen and audio through the speakers.
I wonder if this is a regional thing. I find apple maps very inaccurate where I live in Denver. I go back and try it from time to time, but it just doesn't know where things are in Denver. Google always gets it right here.

I wonder if this is a regional thing. I find apple maps very inaccurate where I live in Denver. I go back and try it from time to time, but it just doesn't know where things are in Denver. Google always gets it right here.
YMMV. Incidentally, I just this minute drove to my hotel from Denver airport. Maps did fine.
One thing we really should get out of Google Maps in our Tesla is the lane tips that that app provides i.e. "Stay in left lane to exit on highway 25 toward XYZ". Those would be super helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: swesson
YMMV. Incidentally, I just this minute drove to my hotel from Denver airport. Maps did fine.
One thing we really should get out of Google Maps in our Tesla is the lane tips that that app provides i.e. "Stay in left lane to exit on highway 25 toward XYZ". Those would be super helpful.
Google Maps on our cars knows where you are but not where you're going. If you have Nav on its Navigon/Garmin that does the turn by turn.

Agreed. I just want the feature, and don't care how they do it frankly. Being told which lane to be in is fantastic.
Yes. My former 2013 Lexus used to do a good job in many multi-way/multi-level turn-offs and interchanges like we have up towards Los Angeles. My 2014 MBZ did as good as the Lexus, with better graphics similar to what our MS IC looks like with Nav and an approaching exit do now. In both previous vehicles, I always had visual as well as good audio Nav info as to the proper lane to be in ... not just the generic, "keep left" or "keep right" on say 6-lane freeways with multiple ramps we have quite a few of "north" from me. It's a refinement Tesla has to elect to either use from other providers as has been suggested, or step up their game and provide their own equivalent to catch-up with their competition. (Despite some people's view, mine is that having only the best battery and Autopilot-like capabilities alone will not ultimately be the determining reason future owners buy and promote Tesla. It's the combination of features in a well-designed luxury BEV from any mfgr that will determine who I for one will purchase from next. IMHO, growing competition is great for we consumers and pushes all to be better -- including Tesla.)

Maybe I have to learn more and read docs, but how far does CarPlay offer those functionalities? Does it allow general developers to build music app, for example? On Android I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Here's Apple's CarPlay site... Includes a list of apps that are CarPlay enabled, including some 3rd Party apps like Overcast (a podcast player) and Spotify...

Carplay

Agreed. I just want the feature, and don't care how they do it frankly. Being told which lane to be in is fantastic.

Are you talking about voice prompts? Navigon/Garmin in the Tesla tells you which lane to be in via the Instrument Cluster display -- the arrows at the bottom of the graphic will have blue arrows for the valid lanes to take your next exit.

• Informative
Reactions: gsxdsm and e-FTW
Are you talking about voice prompts? Navigon/Garmin in the Tesla tells you which lane to be in via the Instrument Cluster display -- the arrows at the bottom of the graphic will have blue arrows for the valid lanes to take your next exit.
Am thousands of miles away from my car, so you are quite probably right. Yes, voice prompts would be the best. I agree that the IC provides this information, but clearly, I have not been paying attention to it. Might just be a UI tweak away from working for me. Google's app is very dealer about this.