Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to Android Auto and CarPlay thing, they are quite limited in capability - I wouldn't say it's mirroring. Most apps won't run in that environment. There are two app classes. One is automotive manufacturer class, which requires special additional SDK to build, with map display capability with different UI requirements (set of guidelines). The other is standard class but this you can only run messaging type app.

Just found this screen shot of the 8.0 center screen in a German forum:

In the post it says "the upper menu disappears when not in use". I'm not sure if he really means the icons for the different apps, or just the buttons on the map. Personally I think it's a bad idea to make GUI elements disappear. It's not mentioned how to bring the menu back once it disappeared.
I like the direct access to the different sound sources (Radio, Streaming, etc) but I'm not a big fan of this even more minimalist look than 7.x.
The post further says, the navi made big leaps forward.

...But the "6.2 people" should chime-in soon with their disappointment that the world isn't moving backwards. ;)
:eek: Oh no, no, no please -- at least not yet. I'm all for opinions as I cite mine often enough, but not overly repetitive ones from a handful of folks like we had with 7/7.1 UI -- that IMHO after a short while sidetracked and became horribly distracting in so many threads where there was more valuable discussion taking place. As I've said before, I accepted before ordering that Tesla would do what they wanted to do, and my owning a Tesla would be a constantly changing environment with good and sometimes bad.

Instead of keeping it all mushed together in this one thread like was done with 7, howz about someone create an "8.0 UI (Disappointments)" thread for such discussion and rants (that I can be sure to not subscribe to, and only occasionally check-in with after at least one stiff drink to prepare myself? ;)) UI is so subjective, not everyone is gonna be happy; there is seldom a single correct answer; some people don't like or want change; and if some owners want to stay in the dark ages for the pros and cons that involves for themselves, that's fine by me -- just say it once, then let everyone else move on. It appears there may be so many other things changing with 8.0, it's going to be hard enough following all the feature/function discussion in just one thread again if it gets bogged-down with the UI haters.

Back to Android Auto and CarPlay thing, they are quite limited in capability - I wouldn't say it's mirroring. Most apps won't run in that environment. There are two app classes. One is automotive manufacturer class, which requires special additional SDK to build, with map display capability with different UI requirements (set of guidelines). The other is standard class but this you can only run messaging type app.
No.
CarPlay apps include phone, maps, music, and messaging. That's a great choice for me.

Reactions: hiroshiy
First screenshots

file.php

Reactions: Austral
Side topic on Carplay seems to be going on. I just used it recently for a long weekend in a rental, a Camero. It isn't that great, Tesla is well more functional than it overall unless you really need a few certain apps. It's maps stink, despise apple maps in general compared to Google's still here. In browsing music, the interface is pretty basic but actually shows less and is more of a pain to use after a while in navigating back and forth to playlist/songs, etc. The phone display was huge/big, but then again use steering controls already for volume end/start on that. Overall it would be a waste of that wonderful detailed large screen (even half) we have IMHO. Very low on wish list - keep improving the current software, maps functionality, and perhaps IC more.

Side topic on Carplay seems to be going on. I just used it recently for a long weekend in a rental, a Camero. It isn't that great, Tesla is well more functional than it overall unless you really need a few certain apps. It's maps stink, despise apple maps in general compared to Google's still here. In browsing music, the interface is pretty basic but actually shows less and is more of a pain to use after a while in navigating back and forth to playlist/songs, etc. The phone display was huge/big, but then again use steering controls already for volume end/start on that. Overall it would be a waste of that wonderful detailed large screen (even half) we have IMHO. Very low on wish list - keep improving the current software, maps functionality, and perhaps IC more.
If you're equating maps to nav I couldn't disagree more. Apple Maps either via CarPlay or iOS is very precise and accurate whereas Tesla's is, well you know the story, terrible. If it used Google navigation data instead of Navigon it would be better but it doesn't.

Hopelijk veranderen de kleuren van het top menu niet. Niet echt een verbetering. Vraag me ook af wat ze juist bedoelen met de verdwijnende knoppen bij niet gebruik, hopelijk bedoelen ze niet de vaste menu knoppen.
Vooral benieuwd of er nieuwe functies zullen zijn.

Edit: kleur zou komen door valet mode, is al een opluchting

Apple maps is better than tesla maps. I'd take CarPlay over what we have today, but of course screen mirroring would be even better. In fact it doesn't even have to be two way mirroring including touch. It would be nice to launch waze or media and just plug in the phone and watch directions on the big screen and audio through the speakers.

Reactions: jvonbokel and msnow
Fair to say 8.0 is not going to get any more connectivity to phones other than existing BT. With all the hooplah surrounding AP and other negative press TMC isn't going to expose themselves to anything really dynamic anytime in the near future I'd bet. Refinements though are improvements. Changing the UI gives a sense of freshness. Nav is a easy fix and of course the never ending AP tweaks.

If you want Car Play and other more open functionality you will have to get a tablet with a mount and run it that way I'm afraid. Is what it is.

On CarPlay on so on: it is not straight mirroring, nor should it be. It has to be a simplified UI meant for use while driving, and using voice control as much as possible. We can,t have straights copies of touch-based apps, as much as I'd like to have Waze on the big screen.
I want CarPlay for the phone integration, messaging, Siri and yes Apple Maps. It is actually quite good. This is not 2012 anymore.