Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many obvious things they aren't doing. I've given up hope. It's all flashy new UI stuff, nothing of substance, like fixing nav, location aware auto lock, the pathetic web browser, etc.

If there are no substantial improvements to navigation and media, collectively known as "infotainment", then I think all hope is lost for any fundamental improvements to the infotainment experience in Model S and Model X. If no significant changes are noted, I'm afraid I will have to defer my decision to buy a 2nd Model S and/or Model X until after Model 3 is launched with its revamped software. I have a feeling Tesla is going to change everything with Model 3 and the new bits will "trickle up" to the Model S and X.

Reactions: BertL
I would like to see learn mode for Summoning (Parking) your car in the garage. You basically pull up into your drive way, stop where you want to stop. Hit "Learn Mode" and drive it into your Garage and Park it the way you want it. Where you want it. Same with backing out of the garage. Once you teach it, every time it does the same thing....Obviously still using all the sensors in case something does get in the way. What do you guys think?

Tim

I would like to see learn mode for Summoning (Parking) your car in the garage. You basically pull up into your drive way, stop where you want to stop. Hit "Learn Mode" and drive it into your Garage and Park it the way you want it. Where you want it. Same with backing out of the garage. Once you teach it, every time it does the same thing....Obviously still using all the sensors in case something does get in the way. What do you guys think?

Tim
What if you park 4" to the left, while angling the car 6degrees to the right? If "learn" mode uses the method of "drive forward X feet, then do Y", you'll end up in your neighbors garage!

What if you park 4" to the left, while angling the car 6degrees to the right? If "learn" mode uses the method of "drive forward X feet, then do Y", you'll end up in your neighbors garage!

The car would still use its sensors as Judgement. Reason I even posted this is I auto park my car into my two car garage all the time. For some reason, no matter how much I pull to the far right, my car keeps wanting to dominate the garage..lol

Tim
Absolutly. Would take it from cool to actually useful in a 2 car scenario.

The car would still use its sensors as Judgement. Reason I even posted this is I auto park my car into my two car garage all the time. For some reason, no matter how much I pull to the far right, my car keeps wanting to dominate the garage..lol
I was going to keep my response to 1 sentence, but that turned into a huge response, sorry in advance.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you're WAY underestimating the problem.

The sensors can do well to help you avoid hitting a parked car, because they rely on the reflections from the radar/sonar. But if you park at an angle, and have the car drive forward, what you're asking for is for the camera (not sensors) to help you decide where to do. That's a MUCH harder problem.

From a human perspective, you see a garage, you know it's a garage. From a machine learning perspective, you see one garage, then you see another garage, how can you tell that the 2nd one is a garage? What if one is open and the other is closed, you need to teach the machine to be able to recognize a garage door.
Then if you have a two car garage, and you make it learn to go into the left stall, for example, the computer needs to be able to learn what a left stall is. The computer needs to be able to say with a reasonable amount of certainty "yes, that's a garage" if it's light outside, dark outside, raining, etc.

Think of it like this - having the car use sonars to tell the car the distance from an object is a 1-dimensional problem. You have distance from your bumper (16 distances, but still 1-dimensional). Having the camera help guide you, means the camera needs to know what to look for. With a human in the loop (or a human training the system), the human can say "align yourself to the left garage post in Person A's house, the right garage post in Person's B house, the pink dresser in Person C's house, etc.", but what you're asking for is for the system to do this automatically. You're taking a simple 1-dimensional (drive back and forward and not hit anything), into a multi-dimensional problem (drive back and forward, and orient yourself using things you see in MY house. But when you're at someone elses house, and I hit learn, I need you to learn to use their light post as a way of orienting your direction of travel).

image.png

I hope I'm wrong, but "meeting w design team every day" sounds like the design isn't finished yet. At least a month? Longer?

I agree. People hear the first leaks of the next version coming out, and they expect it to be "any day now".

Every interim firmware push between now and when v8 is eventually released will generate new "got an update today, is it v8?" threads.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Agree. This tweet:

1. Gets me thinking the release is more like a month away vs. a week, and
2. Has me excited if Elon thinks it's the biggest release since v1.

Having said that though: even though this is direct out of the horse's mouth, I'll wait until I see the release before I decide whether I agree that this is the biggest release since v1.

Reactions: jvonbokel and msnow
Agree. This tweet:

1. Gets me thinking the release is more like a month away vs. a week, and
2. Has me excited if Elon thinks it's the biggest release since v1.

Having said that though: even though this is direct out of the horse's mouth, I'll wait until I see the release before I decide whether I agree that this is the biggest release since v1.

I'm pretty confident it'll be the biggest release since v1...software tends to get bigger and more bloated over time. :)

Bruce.

So, answer my question. Have you measured 20' or are you just guessing?
Are you looking for a "no" answer so you can feel good about yourself so that you can say "haha, 20' isn't that tight! I win!". OK: No, I have not went out with a ruler and measured 20'.

But what I have done, is parked the car in spaced where there is less than 2' of clearance from either side of the bumper. Considering the car is 16+', and I can add 2+16+2 to get 20', I can take a pretty good guess as to what constitutes a 20' space.

You need to look at perspective, I'm guessing it's pretty easy to park in your neck of the woods around PA. It's OK to park here in VA, most spaces are perpendicular, not parallel. It's harder to park in DC, mostly parallel parking; and during events/around tourist traps, you're lucky to get a spot; and it's a lot harder to park in NY (where I take the car to constantly).

So while 20' seems like a lot of space in the boonies, it's not that big of a parking space in the city. It's all about perspective.

So don't try to tell me that a 20' space is "big" and I should go out and measure it.

Are you looking for a "no" answer so you can feel good about yourself so that you can say "haha, 20' isn't that tight! I win!". OK: No, I have not went out with a ruler and measured 20'.

But what I have done, is parked the car in spaced where there is less than 2' of clearance from either side of the bumper. Considering the car is 16+', and I can add 2+16+2 to get 20', I can take a pretty good guess as to what constitutes a 20' space.

You need to look at perspective, I'm guessing it's pretty easy to park in your neck of the woods around PA. It's OK to park here in VA, most spaces are perpendicular, not parallel. It's harder to park in DC, mostly parallel parking; and during events/around tourist traps, you're lucky to get a spot; and it's a lot harder to park in NY (where I take the car to constantly).

So while 20' seems like a lot of space in the boonies, it's not that big of a parking space in the city. It's all about perspective.

So don't try to tell me that a 20' space is "big" and I should go out and measure it.
Agree 20' is tight and I have an easier time getting into it than out.

Meeting with the design team doesn't mean anything negative or that they are still in design phase. I'd bet a hundred bucks it is just the teams name, and they are responsible from start of concept, to UI, to launch of product.

So meeting with the team every day is just a way of saying they are working hard on the details now that they know specific items they have to work on to get it out. Unfortunately it tells us nothing about expected release dates, what features are in or out, or challenges they are still facing.

Every interim firmware push between now and when v8 is eventually released will generate new "got an update today, is it v8?" threads.
That is likely to be the case. As for me, since I try and shut out all of the "future software update" discussions (since I'd like to be surprised once in a while), I was genuinely wondering what was coming down to my car, without any previous expectations. I now see what those threads look and feel like now..

Meeting with the design team doesn't mean anything negative or that they are still in design phase. I'd bet a hundred bucks it is just the teams name, and they are responsible from start of concept, to UI, to launch of product.

So meeting with the team every day is just a way of saying they are working hard on the details now that they know specific items they have to work on to get it out. Unfortunately it tells us nothing about expected release dates, what features are in or out, or challenges they are still facing.

It can also indicate that they are still fine-tuning UI design based off internal or beta tester feedback. The only thing it means for certain is that the UI leak that we saw does not tell the whole story.

Apparently they are further than the "design phase" since according to the screenshot that leaked, it is already being beta tested by some selected individuals as we speak. I agree with @scot here.

Does it make it clearer when the software will be released, absolutely not. And with the tweet from Elon, that this is going to be the biggest update to date, my guess is we're still looking at at least a month (if not much more) before we get it.