Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh okay. So you need to go back an re-read what I said. You will see that MY reference to the existence of EAP was related to 7.0 not 8.0. You will also learn when you scroll back that it was Elon, not me, that said 8.0 was in final testing. That's how it was determined where it was in the testing process.

Just to reiterate then, EAP is involved with every version of the software. The fact Elon saying it's in final testing is a separate comment/issue.

Just to reiterate then, EAP is involved with every version of the software. The fact Elon saying it's in final testing is a separate comment/issue.
You're just repeating my comments as if you're making them. Not sure why but moving on.

I write for the automobiles section of The NY Times, and am developing a piece on software updates for cars. Prior to the V8 upgrade I'd like to speak to some Tesla owners about their experiences with the various software upgrades to date. If you're interested, please contact me via the conversation tool or here, with contact info.
Thanks
Eric Taub

upload_2016-8-31_12-53-38.png

I think the radar improvements will be in 8.1 only - doubt that will already be part of 8.0. Will be interesting to see what areas of AP will be improved (as in noticeable in every day AP usage) by that radar enhancement.

My guess is that the filtering of stationary vs. non-stationary objects will be vastly improved. That would include recognizing stopped obstructions in the way of the vehicle such as the truck in the fatality, but also as in the cases with the cars parked partially on the shoulder that were previously filtered out, causing the car to run into it.

My guess is that the filtering of stationary vs. non-stationary objects will be vastly improved. That would include recognizing stopped obstructions in the way of the vehicle such as the truck in the fatality, but also as in the cases with the cars parked partially on the shoulder that were previously filtered out, causing the car to run into it.

That would make sense. So it would be mostly under the hood improvements that increase safety and emergency scenario handling, but not necessarily adding new capabilities.

I hate seeing that it'll be another few weeks.

I love seeing the term "major improvements". Also interesting to see him already talking about 8.1 before 8.0 is out.
The 8.0, 8.1 thing is exactly what he did last year when he said a few weeks before it was released that 7.0 was primarily Autopilot to be followed by 7.1 which was the UI changes. I sure hope the promised UI changes (NAV, Maps, Media Player) are part of 8.0 or I will be VERY disappointed.

Looks like traffic light and stop sign reaction (as opposed to recognition) got deferred :(.

Maybe there will be some mention of that in Elon's blog post. He did say that these features were coming "within the year" back around Jan/Feb.

Still plenty of year left, plus given the givens with the MobilEye divorce along with the recent accidents, one could certainly make the case to defer the functionality until AP2.0.

Had held out hope that maybe with a different camera module up front (AP1.5), we'd get those features within the forecasted timeframe.

Looks like traffic light and stop sign reaction (as opposed to recognition) got deferred :(.

Maybe there will be some mention of that in Elon's blog post. He did say that these features were coming "within the year" back around Jan/Feb.

Still plenty of year left, plus given the givens with the MobilEye divorce along with the recent accidents, one could certainly make the case to defer the functionality until AP2.0.

Had held out hope that maybe with a different camera module up front (AP1.5), we'd get those features within the forecasted timeframe.

Recognition doesn't even seem to be working. When in debug mode the Stop Light / Stop Sign monitor never enters any state except "NONE".