Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sort of things outside of that are you looking for? Anything specific?

More voice seems to be a common request. And of course, Nav improvements. Those are the ones that come to mind offhand.

Anyone in a cold-weather environment would like the API improved to permit remote activation of the seat, wiper and steering-wheel heaters and the rear-defroster.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex and ArtInCT
While I too have a wish list of what functions I'd love to receive in 8.0, in case folks are not aware, there are a number of other more appropriate threads where this discussion has been going on for some time. Rather than recreating everyone's desires here, these may be of interest:
  • https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1266622/ - The summary of a several week process by nearly 300 TMC members around the globe last Fall to aggregate and prioritize top requirements. Scroll up and down from that for posts with other representations of the data and more detail.
  • Model S Software/Firmware wishlist - The big bold requirements thread here on TMC
  • Tesla's Software To-Do List - Halfway down in the first post is a very detailed list of functions missing in Tesla 7.1 Infotainment that have existed in two other luxury brands for years. No attempt was made at prioritizing functional requirements -- just to ID what Tesla is lacking.
...and there are more spread across dozens or more of other threads.

I am quite willing to cut Elon some slack right now. I suspect "weekends" have been only a dictionary entry for him for some time.

If the software release gets delayed some then so be it, I can quite believe the immediate work at SpaceX is requiring highest priority.

Maybe a quick explanatory tweet would be appreciated by some.

Reactions: msnow and fallen888
I am quite willing to cut Elon some slack right now. I suspect "weekends" have been only a dictionary entry for him for some time.
I'm not! People in this forum have been "cutting Elon slack" since 2012 and excusing his every misstep. It's now 2016 and Musk needs to start acting like a real CEO. That means hitting forecasts and delivering on deadlines. He shouldn't be in such a position if he can't do these two basic things. Investors have lost confidence in Tesla as has much of the media. Much of the media's criticism of Tesla comes from unforced errors by Musk himself. He suffers from chronic verbal diarrhea.

He runs a publicly traded company... if he wants to do whatever he wants when he wants... go private. Stop asking for outside money.

You take on more responsibility when you decide to go public to get more money.

Just do not tweet.. is it that hard? or are you just trying to manipulate the stock?

That email Elon sent asking for better 3Q performance is exhibit A showing how bad Elon's management skills are. In a functional organization, you work with your direct reports, outline the issue (gotta perform in Q3), instruct them to meet the goal, ask if you can help remove impediments to that goal, negotiate what resources they need, give them the negotiated help/resources.

Instead Elon is undercutting his senior mangement team's authority and ability to manage their own organizations by continually interfering with the entire organization. Sleeping on the QA line is laudable from a leadership perspective, but horrible from a management perspective. Why didn't Elon get the head of QA to sleep there? Why isn't he empowering his senior management to act as leaders instead of continually undercutting them?

That email also completely undercuts Elon insistence that Tesla doesn't manage quarter by quarter. It shows he is as much of a slave to quarterly numbers as any maligned CEO in corporate America. The fact that the email says that the Q3 numbers will basically be window dressing for a financing round doesn't help.

I'd also say that the slack cutting times are soon to be over (they might already be now), at the very latest when M3 will be out there. Actually already before it will be out.

I admire Musk for what he created - but recent events definitely left a bad feeling (his emotional & unprofessional reaction to the press around the AP fatality, severe delay in simple things like publishing blog posts - twice in a row).

So anything new to discuss about 8.0, or is this the armchair CEO thread?
The notion that the actual release will be delayed by SpaceX events is silly. Blog post, sure, release? Elon ain't writing and QA'ing code folks. Given what we've heard, the release must be in beta go/nogo eval right now.

As much as I agree that Elon has issues, he's not likely to change, and some of those traits got these companies as far as they've come. I expect after the model 3 and production gets boring, Elon will move on to irritate another industry.

You guys are rather staid in your attitudes. If Tesla operated such as you are suggesting then we wouldn't have the S and the X, and the 3 would Pie in the Sky. This company is where it is because of EM driving it there. The blog post will happen, just not for your personal edification. The CEO sending out an inspirational email is just that - inspirational. One can destroy that by watering it down the hierarchy -- it wouldn't be as effective. His job is to direct and inspire the company with his vision ... he has done a great job so far. He wants to demonstrate profitability when it isn't swamped out by investment -- is that a problem?

You guys are rather staid in your attitudes. If Tesla operated such as you are suggesting then we wouldn't have the S and the X, and the 3 would Pie in the Sky. This company is where it is because of EM driving it there. The blog post will happen, just not for your personal edification. The CEO sending out an inspirational email is just that - inspirational. One can destroy that by watering it down the hierarchy -- it wouldn't be as effective. His job is to direct and inspire the company with his vision ... he has done a great job so far. He wants to demonstrate profitability when it isn't swamped out by investment -- is that a problem?

I've worked at several big companies (and small ones and at least one huge one). "Inspirational" emails from CEOs, yes even boring traditional fortune 500 CEOs, are par for the course and fodder for much rank and file groaning.

Reactions: GSP
The difference is that EM has demonstrated his involvement in the enterprise and is a CEO that demonstrates his intimate knowledge of the finances, budgeting, engineering, and manufacturing (yes, sleeping at the end of the line). This is much different from the "inspirational messages" written for the CEO whom is disengaged from his staff and processes.

How about my vote for an easy feature revision that they could have done years ago -- when you pull up the phone list on the steering wheel that says "Recent" and "Contacts" or "Phone Book" ( I forget which), add a listing for "Favorites" at the top. That would save a lot of effort and be safer than the usual fishing around.I'll settle for being able to pick only five favorites from the Contacts list on the big screen.

That email Elon sent asking for better 3Q performance is exhibit A showing how bad Elon's management skills are. In a functional organization, you work with your direct reports, outline the issue (gotta perform in Q3), instruct them to meet the goal, ask if you can help remove impediments to that goal, negotiate what resources they need, give them the negotiated help/resources.

Instead Elon is undercutting his senior mangement team's authority and ability to manage their own organizations by continually interfering with the entire organization. Sleeping on the QA line is laudable from a leadership perspective, but horrible from a management perspective. Why didn't Elon get the head of QA to sleep there? Why isn't he empowering his senior management to act as leaders instead of continually undercutting them?

That email also completely undercuts Elon insistence that Tesla doesn't manage quarter by quarter. It shows he is as much of a slave to quarterly numbers as any maligned CEO in corporate America. The fact that the email says that the Q3 numbers will basically be window dressing for a financing round doesn't help.

Fairly common email from CEOs in large organizations.

See Jobs memo to all Apple employees to cut expenses
New Straits Times - Google News Archive Search

Ajit Jain
Berkshire’s Jain Tells Gen Re Staff to Fix ‘Problem’ With Costs

pretty easy to find all sorts of others

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and MikeKFE
How about my vote for an easy feature revision that they could have done years ago -- when you pull up the phone list on the steering wheel that says "Recent" and "Contacts" or "Phone Book" ( I forget which), add a listing for "Favorites" at the top. That would save a lot of effort and be safer than the usual fishing around.I'll settle for being able to pick only five favorites from the Contacts list on the big screen.
I suspect that this is low on the list. The focus is on pushing the cutting edge of AP. Elon doesn't care about play lists an phone number s.