Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do. Bear in mind this is a stick that used to work. If you read 2-300 messages forward in the thread :-/ you'll see I eventually did get it to work, by turning off energy-saving I think. I'm trying to reproduce the bug and reproduce the workaround now, before filing a bug report.

Apart from all the other ugly things, at least with my stick they appear to have slowed down the rate at which they scan it by 1 to 2 orders of magnitude. :-(
Sadly it appears my "fix" of turning off energy saving was just a fluke, I haven't been able to replicate it. I'll be doing further updates to this over in https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1752338/.

Hooray! I received 8.0 today...6 days after receiving my new car. This new configuration makes it so much easier to press the buttons for Sirius stations too! So far so good! Can't wait to test out auto pilot. JOY! I love, love this car!

80-tesla.jpg

Maybe there are good changes sprinkle throughout but I can't stop looking at the bad ones or be sad at the lack of requested changes. The daytime interface is so bleached, like many I had to switch to the nighttime all the time. Still no trip planner with way points. Chargers are now in a separate button? Why, they are legitimate destinations. Hiding the app buttons and status bar should be optional, if people want a bigger map they can make it full screen. Still no scale/zoom level displayed on the map. Still want stronger regen. The battery charge bar was nice, high-res and large why did they have to shrink it and put it in a cartoon car? It has a big battery, give me a big indicator that I can see and set a limit on. Still cannot select the estimated range to show instead of ideal/rated. Still cannot have energy and distance units displayed together. Still doesn't give energy and efficiency for the odometer freeing up Trip B for actual trips. Still only a 3-band EQ, even on the UHFS. Showing Recents and Favorites media all the time eats up space that could have been used for more of the metadata of what's currently playing instead of truncating it. Album artwork is still broken. Still no media transport control for Bluetooth sources. No audio format information (codec/rate/channels).

I am afraid Tesla is dummying down the experience to attract a wider audience. That's fine, they can do that without losing those who want more and do not want to be treated like imbeciles.

So I've driven about three hours with the new 8.0 AP and here are my observations:

- As many have noted, stop and go is buttery smooth. I drive a lot of bumper to bumper freeway time and this car is now PERFECT at taking the stress out of my commute
- Also noted ubiquitously, the lane change is vastly improved. Decisive and confident
- Radar does see a car, sometimes two, ahead... but only if the car ahead is moving. It seems a bit inconsistent, but better than nothing
- The "is this thing going to stop or do I need to intervene" moments seem to have diminished or disappeared. On 7.1 I had several nervous stops when coming up on a stopped vehicle. 8.0 is handling this perfectly
- Lane tracking seems mildly improved. I still see some hunting and swaying on certain turn or lane variations... However, I noted the car successfully negotiated a part of my commute where a lane moves at 45 degree angle after an intersection. It has never done this before. Impressive
- The new white flashing border nag is helpful. On 7.1 I would sometimes miss the visual cue and get the first beep. I have not reached a single beep warning on 8.0 because the white border catches my peripheral vision when my eyes are on the road

AP NAG Section:

I tested hands free driving for this morning's commute. Hands free means my hands are resting on my knees a couple of inches to either side of the wheel and my eyes are on the road. My mother, or a simile of her, is not required for response to this thread.

During all times, I tried to offer no user input (lane changes, etc...)

- General assessment is that 8.0 DOES nag more frequently than 7.1, but not egregiously so
- Stop and Go: I have driven segments of stop and go for 12, 13, and 13 minutes before getting a nag. This was during speeds of less than 15MPH
- Slow and Go: For speeds ranging from 20-50 MPH, 6 minutes was the longest I went without a nag. 3-5 minutes seemed more common, but this is clearly impacted by driving environment, so I was unable to ascertain any sense of an actual 'timer'
- Cruising: I don't get to do much of this on my commute, which is why I love AP so much. This morning, AP running at 78MPH gave me:
- My first nag at almost exactly 2 minutes.
- The next nag came exactly two minutes later and my heart sank as I began envisioning a draconic timer.
-However, the next nag didn't hit until the 3 minute mark, and this unfortunately coincided with TACC slowing to 76 as I got close to the vehicle in front of me. This may have triggered the nag.
- The final nag came after 3:20, again coinciding with a slow down.

In summary, I find AP to be much better, but with slightly more nagging than I saw in 7.1. I never had a chance to keep in cruising on the open road to see if I could go much beyond three minutes. If anyone else can comment on this I'd love to hear your experience.

I have some thoughts on the bigger picture for AP and this update that I'll post in the AP in 8.0 Thread.

Maybe there are good changes sprinkle throughout but I can't stop looking at the bad ones or be sad at the lack of requested changes. The daytime interface is so bleached, like many I had to switch to the nighttime all the time. Still no trip planner with way points. Chargers are now in a separate button? Why, they are legitimate destinations. Hiding the app buttons and status bar should be optional, if people want a bigger map they can make it full screen. Still no scale/zoom level displayed on the map. Still want stronger regen. The battery charge bar was nice, high-res and large why did they have to shrink it and put it in a cartoon car? It has a big battery, give me a big indicator that I can see and set a limit on. Still cannot select the estimated range to show instead of ideal/rated. Still cannot have energy and distance units displayed together. Still doesn't give energy and efficiency for the odometer freeing up Trip B for actual trips. Still only a 3-band EQ, even on the UHFS. Showing Recents and Favorites media all the time eats up space that could have been used for more of the metadata of what's currently playing instead of truncating it. Album artwork is still broken. Still no media transport control for Bluetooth sources. No audio format information (codec/rate/channels).

I am afraid Tesla is dummying down the experience to attract a wider audience. That's fine, they can do that without losing those who want more and do not want to be treated like imbeciles.
So you like it? :)

• Funny
Reactions: vdiv
My AP on 8.0 (2.36.108) slammed on the brakes in the HOV lane when it shouldn't have.

Was in traffic however there were no cars immediately in front of me which would have warranted the emergency braking. Front car was at least 3 car lengths away.

Also, I don't attribute it to the "car in front of the car" as it has been driving very well in other cases.

Hopefully it was just a one off situation.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
My AP on 8.0 (2.36.108) slammed on the brakes in the HOV lane when it shouldn't have.

Was in traffic however there were no cars immediately in front of me which would have warranted the emergency braking. Front car was at least 3 car lengths away.

Also, I don't attribute it to the "car in front of the car" as it has been driving very well in other cases.

Hopefully it was just a one off situation.

Was it literally "slammed the brakes" or just full regen?

Well, it seems like Forward Collision Warning kicked in for you? What is your setting for that feature?

The settings are in Controls>Settings>Driver Assistance>Forward Collision Warning

this setting in particular is stored in your driver profile. You can turn it totally off or have various (3?) levels of sensitivity. I am sure that was pretty unsettling. You may want to dial it down a notch.

BTW, were you using TACC or full Autopilot Features at the time?

So I've driven about three hours with the new 8.0 AP and here are my observations:

- As many have noted, stop and go is buttery smooth. I drive a lot of bumper to bumper freeway time and this car is now PERFECT at taking the stress out of my commute
- Also noted ubiquitously, the lane change is vastly improved. Decisive and confident
- Radar does see a car, sometimes two, ahead... but only if the car ahead is moving. It seems a bit inconsistent, but better than nothing
- The "is this thing going to stop or do I need to intervene" moments seem to have diminished or disappeared. On 7.1 I had several nervous stops when coming up on a stopped vehicle. 8.0 is handling this perfectly
- Lane tracking seems mildly improved. I still see some hunting and swaying on certain turn or lane variations... However, I noted the car successfully negotiated a part of my commute where a lane moves at 45 degree angle after an intersection. It has never done this before. Impressive
- The new white flashing border nag is helpful. On 7.1 I would sometimes miss the visual cue and get the first beep. I have not reached a single beep warning on 8.0 because the white border catches my peripheral vision when my eyes are on the road

AP NAG Section:

I tested hands free driving for this morning's commute. Hands free means my hands are resting on my knees a couple of inches to either side of the wheel and my eyes are on the road. My mother, or a simile of her, is not required for response to this thread.

During all times, I tried to offer no user input (lane changes, etc...)

- General assessment is that 8.0 DOES nag more frequently than 7.1, but not egregiously so
- Stop and Go: I have driven segments of stop and go for 12, 13, and 13 minutes before getting a nag. This was during speeds of less than 15MPH
- Slow and Go: For speeds ranging from 20-50 MPH, 6 minutes was the longest I went without a nag. 3-5 minutes seemed more common, but this is clearly impacted by driving environment, so I was unable to ascertain any sense of an actual 'timer'
- Cruising: I don't get to do much of this on my commute, which is why I love AP so much. This morning, AP running at 78MPH gave me:
- My first nag at almost exactly 2 minutes.
- The next nag came exactly two minutes later and my heart sank as I began envisioning a draconic timer.
-However, the next nag didn't hit until the 3 minute mark, and this unfortunately coincided with TACC slowing to 76 as I got close to the vehicle in front of me. This may have triggered the nag.
- The final nag came after 3:20, again coinciding with a slow down.

In summary, I find AP to be much better, but with slightly more nagging than I saw in 7.1. I never had a chance to keep in cruising on the open road to see if I could go much beyond three minutes. If anyone else can comment on this I'd love to hear your experience.

I have some thoughts on the bigger picture for AP and this update that I'll post in the AP in 8.0 Thread.

I hope the ""The "is this thing going to stop or do I need to intervene" moments seem to have diminished or disappeared."" actually disappeared because I had a narrow escape with this on 7.1 recently. For stalled cars sometimes AP won't respond at all but keep accelerating. I would definitely check it out as I got my update yesterday.
Anyone else had any experience with AP and stalled cars?

Got 8.0 this morning. For a slow rollout, this seems to be going pretty fast!
I do not like how the top bar disappears with Nav. Honestly, I do not see the point. There is plenty of real estate on the screen with the bar present. I think the extra tap is unwarranted. Nice idea, but better the old way. A setting to have top bar always on would be fine (again, easier said than done).

Early in this thread, I read something about podcasts being much better. I have never really used podcasts due to difficulty in setting them up (more of a lack of motivation to really do it right). Is there a podcast feature that I am missing here? Is it via the phone? I would like to start doing this for one of my favorite talk shows and would like to see how people take advantage of this (I know, welcome to the 21st century...)

A feature of 8.0 I've not seen noted yet - using PHONE as your audio source is kept between trips.

I use my phone almost exclusively as my audio source. In 7.x, every time I got in the car, I had to select my phone as the audio source. In 8.0, I no longer have to do that. I can get in the car, press the left wheel to restart playing on my podcast, and go about my merry way.

Of all the 8.0 new features, this one affects my everyday driving the most. I was shocked yesterday when I parked, paused an audiobook playing from my iPhone, did an errand, and came back to find it was all prepared to start the audiobook without having to reselect the iPhone as source. In the last 18 months, I fear I've worn out the right scroll wheel from selecting Bluetooth every time I got in the car.