Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is basically my use case. Except for when it is raining/snowing, I have recirc on (manually). After the initial cooldown, the sun beating down on me is strong than the cooldown of 1 or 2 at my 68* setting. Thus, most of the time, I have it set on manual 3 except for when I first get in the car (and preconditioning uses full Auto btw). On manual 4, I get cold during my drive. On manual 3, I go days before I need to tweak my HVAC settings. At this point, I have had the clock for days, but I'm not clicking accept.

Hadn't noticed this yet... I keep mine on recirc all the time as when on fresh air I seem to get a pressure sensation in my ears at high speeds that I don't on recirc. This is a bit odd have to admit, not being able to go below 4.

Reactions: Cyclone
All that to say I think the hardware limitation argument is bollocks.
Yep. I am pretty sure an original iPod had considerably (and by that I mean, orders of magnitude) less hardware to throw at the problem than a Model S does, and managed.
I had nav on today and then tapped screen, tapped music, and the nav moved to the bottom. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen now? I am one of the few, it seems, who does prefer map always on top.
No, it totally happens (or you can place it directly by hold-and-drag the icon to the bottom). The complaint is that when you tap it always goes to the top, which I guess is a change vs. 7.1 (I got in the habit of always drag-to-place so it doesn't affect me).

You must be new here. There is no good way to:

A. Contact Tesla with this type of feedback AND know that your response has been heard by someone who can do something about it.

B. Receive feedback from Tesla that your particular suggestion is not alone and therefore if it is a priority.

C. Get a status update on if your suggestions are being considered and a general timeline of when you can expect that change to happen.

All that to this, we voted on a software improvement list last fall and those who participated in it are split on whether or not Tesla listened to those suggestions for inclusion in v8. You see, some suggestions were actually implemented, including naming USB inputs, passenger protection/camping mode, and avoid tolls. But that could also be coincidence.

So if anyone has a better idea, let us know.
Agree, unless Tesla starts asking for feedback and providing a way to communicate it we only have our 7.1 survey. Suggest if you decide to repurpose that, remove what we already have and greatly simplify the list to a couple of pages that's our best bet. Jon McNeil (@JonMc) who reports to Elon occasionally comes to this forum and might be our best conduit to communicate our feedback.

I even washed my car hoping that would help get 8.0 faster but still no luck, sigh o_O
So I think I cracked it..I washed my car, put it on charger and kissed it goodnight last night. And lo and behold..a little past midnight I got the notification that the update is ready. :cool::cool::cool:

I had to wait till morning to start the update otherwise I wouldn't have been allowed to come back in to the house.

The ver is 2.36.108.

The new GUI feels really nice. The autopilot is asking me to hold the steering wheel at those places it usually wandered a bit.

On the negative side, I didn't get the notification when the update was complete and the Bluetooth gave error which was resolved by reboot of the car.

But oh boy ..it feels like I got a whole new car..what a feeling!

Could the "seemingly no explanation for it" be related to the 105 degree heat safety feature?
Maybe they want to have a slow speed fan always circulate outside air to cool down the cabin instead of air conditioning.

I'm not saying that isn't the case (I mean, we see Tesla do things like remove the Alpha shortcut for USB), but I would hope they better design that to only be done when the car is in park without a driver in the seat (and thus, is "off") rather than impacting operation while the car is in use.

It wasn't clear to me what's the point of hiding some of the icons in that top row but not others. For example the clock stays but not the LTE/3G/WiFi signal strength, the door lock/unlock stays but not the Homelink. Having the Tesla T remain is turning into a pet peeve of mine, because it doesn't add much value, but I bet some ad wizard said "we *have* to have the Tesla logo somewhere on the screen".

I'm kind of -0 on autohiding the toolbar.

Bruce.

They could have at least left the top status bar and just covered the app icons.

I wish the Moderators/TMC God or whoever, would create a forum for just software versions, irrespective of car model. Hate that we have troll through two threads, and eventually 3, for information that is common to all three.
Bill I agree, it will be great when everyone gets V 8.0. The last 10-15 pages have been --- did you get yours, no I have not gotten mine, I just got mine, I am updating now, etc. Most of the posts are Spam.

Reactions: commasign
I do not think we actually need a check box for keeping the Navigation Map down.... what we need is PERSISTENCE.

So... if you pull / touch the map to reveal the apps and time and LTE etc, it should PERSIST and stay down.... essentially forever.... until you pull it up (if you want). The system should learn your desires.... like a good waitress in your favorite diner.... my waitress does not ask me if I want coffee.... by now she knows.... so should the Tesla learn.

It should know that I like the Media or Energy apps down low.... the Nav and Rear Camera up high.

Once I touch the NAV to reveal the apps from that point on it should stay DOWN.... until I pull it back up.

Thats how it should behave. Really... it is called PERSISTENCE.... much like all your other setting choices.
And it should follow the Driver's Profile.

The person at Tesla who came up with the "lets hide the apps" idea.... well, let's really no longer listen to that person much any more.... shall we?

BTW this was sent to NAservicesupport at Tesla Motors.

Last edited:
Agree, unless Tesla starts asking for feedback and providing a way to communicate it we only have our 7.1 survey. Suggest if you decide to repurpose that, remove what we already have and greatly simplify the list to a couple of pages that's our best bet. Jon McNeil (@JonMc) who reports to Elon occasionally comes to this forum and might be our best conduit to communicate our feedback.

My only problem with that is I don't want to remove a suggestion that i think isn't important just because i don't see the value in it. Someone suggested it, so therefore, at just a couple people want it.

What I did do before turning in the list, was remove all the items that required new hardware to accomplish as well as the duplicates. This was a pretty solid list, and even better, there were still loads of suggestions that would benefit the non AP cars as well.

This is why I have heavily suggested to do an update to the list I turned in and like you said, with v8 items removed/updated.

Wait, what? Is this something new, I'd call Tesla immediately and complain about this.

Or did you mean the trip planner showed 500 wh/mi for your 18 mile trip?

No. The odometer increased by more than 500 miles in a 18+ mile drive.

Prevoious to 8.0 upgrade we completed a round trip to Key West (yesterday) which left the odometer just below 9000 miles. Updated last night. After my commute and some local shopping (less than 25 miles) today, the odometer reads greater than 9500 miles. I am acutely aware of this as my lease is for 10,000 miles per year and my year isn't up until next April. Essentially this cost me an additional $.25/mile times 500 miles ($.25*500=$125.00)

I will bring this to the attention of my service advisor when I see her next week after I return from a trip to PA tomorrow. (Flying). Not that it will do any good, she ignores my written complaints unless they are safety related. Anyone have a better idea for whom to contact about this?

Let me have 7.1 back. I knew how to deal with its faults.
Hutch

Last edited:
Reactions: newtman