Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. The odometer increased by more than 500 miles in a 18+ mile drive.

Prevoious to 8.0 upgrade we completed a round trip to Key West (yesterday) which left the odometer just below 9000 miles. Updated last night. After my commute and some local shopping (less than 25 miles) today, the odometer reads greater than 9500 miles. I am acutely aware of this as my lease is for 10,000 miles per year and my year isn't up until next April. Essentially this cost me an additional $.25/mile times 500 miles ($.25*500=$125.00)

I will bring this to the attention of my service advisor when I see her next week after I return from a trip to PA tomorrow. (Flying). Not that it will do any good, she ignores my written complaints unless they are safety related. Anyone have a better idea for whom to contact about this?

Let me have 7.1 back. I knew how to deal with its faults.
Hutch

I'd call customer support ASAP and I'd send an email to [email protected]

I'd also start a new thread, to see if this happened to anyone else.

Prevoious to 8.0 upgrade we completed a round trip to Key West (yesterday) which left the odometer just below 9000 miles. Updated last night.
Another explanation would be you were abducted by aliens in Key West (sure seems like a hotspot for UFO sightings). You were probed and memory wiped.

You wouldn't by chance have use the various Tesla loggers out there? It would confirm a lot of what you are saying without bringing to Tesla first.

Yes i just use it manually. I found the automatic was causing too many near misses since I have multiple garage doors and park all over.
That's what I figured. We tried last night and didn't hear the chirp so we deduced it only happens when Homelink opens the door automatically. I guess it makes sense that if you tap the screen to open the door you know it should be sending the signal and no chirp is needed.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
The pods that are "highlighted" in the featured TuneIn listings seem to work great with less need to buffer the whole episode before streaming, but anything that I search for in the "Anything" box seems to have a hard time and I'm getting "Loading error" messages. Anyone else?

Yes! Yes! Yes! Driving me crazy. I have sent an email to my local service center about this very issue this morning. In the meantime, I have figured out that if I repeatedly hit the reload (circle arrow) it will eventually load and play. Seems like it should work the first time though.

• Informative
Reactions: SCDrJ and JenniferQ
Got the 8.0 update this AM. Drove 18 miles today, odometer added 500 miles. Not good, especially as this is a leased car.

Terribly disappointed with new Media App. USB has changed for the worse, no sort or alphabet selection.

Autopilot seems squirely to me now, behaved more eratickly than before on my 9 mile commute. Hope this changes with time.

Whoa! Are you serious? That's crazy. I'll have to keep an eye on my odo.

Prevoious to 8.0 upgrade we completed a round trip to Key West (yesterday) which left the odometer just below 9000 miles. Updated last night. After my commute and some local shopping (less than 25 miles) today, the odometer reads greater than 9500 miles. I am acutely aware of this as my lease is for 10,000 miles per year and my year isn't up until next April. Essentially this cost me an additional $.25/mile times 500 miles ($.25*500=$125.00)

I will bring this to the attention of my service advisor when I see her next week after I return from a trip to PA tomorrow. (Flying). Not that it will do any good, she ignores my written complaints unless they are safety related. Anyone have a better idea for whom to contact about this?

Let me have 7.1 back. I knew how to deal with its faults.
Hutch
This needs to be escalated to Musk *at least*. If you've got Twitter, message him. Actually it's a federal-government level fault which could get Tesla Motors in big big trouble.

It is very obvious that Tesla's software development protocols are completely unfit for purpose. They need to rip apart their development team and start over with a *much more formal and verified* protocol for software design. They are introducing massive regressions on a regular basis, which is absolutely *terrible*.

• Funny
Reactions: RubberToe
Someone suggested their testing didn't include anyone with large USB usage. Tesla: Please sign me up, I am part of that group that uses USB heavily and I'd really really like to help.

I won't be a beta tester unless there's an established protocol for rolling back to a known acceptable version (in my case, 6.4). However, if Tesla ever fixed their firmware process enough to make rollbacks easy, I'd love to be a beta tester and I have experience beta testing and I am very very good at it.

I am also an extremely skilled debugger. If they opened up the relevant parts of their code base (which they are legally obliged to do anyway for some of them, they're just breaking the law), I could probably actually fix a bunch of the problems myself by submitting patches.

I do not think we actually need a check box for keeping the Navigation Map down.... what we need is PERSISTENCE.

So... if you pull / touch the map to reveal the apps and time and LTE etc, it should PERSIST and stay down.... essentially forever.... until you pull it up (if you want). The system should learn your desires.... like a good waitress in your favorite diner.... my waitress does not ask me if I want coffee.... by now she knows.... so should the Tesla learn.

It should know that I like the Media or Energy apps down low.... the Nav and Rear Camera up high.

Once I touch the NAV to reveal the apps from that point on it should stay DOWN.... until I pull it back up.

Thats how it should behave. Really... it is called PERSISTENCE.... much like all your other setting choices.
And it should follow the Driver's Profile.

The person at Tesla who came up with the "lets hide the apps" idea.... well, let's really no longer listen to that person much any more.... shall we?

BTW this was sent to NAservicesupport at Tesla Motors.

Agree. And when I unlock my doors I want them to stay unlocked for the entire trip. The car should know I do not want to drive with them locked. Used to be an option, drive away locks on/off. Lost that last January with the update.

Reactions: neroden
Couple of small changes I haven't seen reported:

--When TACC is turned on for the first time since the car was started, the following distance index (1..7) displays momentarily. Previously if I wanted to know the index I had to momentarily change it to get it to display.

--After I exit the car in my garage and plug in the UMC for charging, with 7.1 it showed the scheduled charge start time on the instrument panel. Now, electrical metrics placeholders and the new see-through cartoon car with the big battery show, with no indication of charging start time.

Last edited:
Bart, your link seems to be the definitive reference for the USB issues. Thank you.

Is there some way we can assemble this as a core list of issues and present a petition to get Tesla to actually solve the damn bugs?

Some have been around since 2013 and they've been adding them faster than they close them.
We are compiling then here. Bertl has been a huge help.

Comprehensive USB Bug List

That appears to be the case.
Which makes sense and really helps me. I've pulled out of the driveway more than a few times to move cars around and Homelink would start to close the garage door on whoever was pulling out of the garage for me to move in. Could have been an accident here or there, but now I'll hear the chime and think, "Uh oh, better stop that door from closing." Maybe.

• Helpful
Reactions: MartinW and jgs

Hutch

Update 1; 20160927 8:59PM EST
I checked the trip meter for today.
27.1 miles driven today, current odometer reading 9575 miles
Hutch

Last edited: