Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The media player is now a disaster. This has to be in my opinion the worst implementation of the media player since I test drove the car over 4 years ago.

Scrolling through my own local music files is an accident waiting to happen. I can't stand it how going "back" takes me to the alphabetical top of my album/artist/whatever list. I can't skip to the "Zs." I have to scroll down the entire list, and sometimes this results in clicking into a folder. Going back takes me back to the top of the list.

Search still doesn't go through the USB. (Search "anything" it says?)

Wish I could roll back. I'm sure there are other refinements, but for my Classic MS, this is an update I wish I hadn't accepted.
A suggestion for those of you with large file libraries. Separate your files into alphabetical folders like a-b, c-d etc.

So far it feels like AP got a little better in some areas and a lot worse in other. Just today on the ride home from work, the car came out of its lane on a straight freeway. The car also weaves around like crazy unless it's following a car. The nags are more than ever. I think it better at avoiding head on collisions but the lane keeping has gotten worse.

Thanks for sharing. I have chosen not to upgrade yet and I think I will wait a bit longer based on your experience. I notice that different people are reporting very different experiences in the different comments and threads. Some report better lane keeping, others worse. Some report AP 8.0 is smoother, others report it acts erratic. Some report that the nagging is less than before, others report it has gotten much worse. For now, sticking with 7.1 seems like a a safer bet as there is no going back once I upgrade ...

I'm going up to Ames (about 35 miles on mostly empty I-35 at the time I go) Friday to pre-tailgate, so I am looking forward to comparing and contrasting the updated autopilot to the previous version. I have loved the AP even though I am not a daily user, hope it isn't FUBAR.

Am I mixing you up with someone else? There is a blue-haired pastafarian poster on this forum that had an AP-capable car, but didn't have the feature activated. Is that you and you have since had it activated, or am I mixing up two people?

Btw, tap anywhere on the Nav map to bring back the icons at the top for a few seconds if you want to switch "apps". They will also reappear when you are in Park.

Last edited:
Reactions: JenniferQ
A suggestion for those of you with large file libraries. Separate your files into alphabetical folders like a-b, c-d etc.

I understand why you made this suggestion, and we certainly could do this. However, we shouldn't have to do that.

All my audio files are properly tagged and work on my pc, on my phone and in my wife's Highlander. They worked fine with 7.1.

It's so poorly programmed now that it's plainly unsafe for the driver to select any USB audio while driving.

That is not an improvement. That is not making the car better with every software update.

I understand why you made this suggestion, and we certainly could do this. However, we shouldn't have to do that.

All my audio files are properly tagged and work on my pc, on my phone and in my wife's Highlander. They worked fine with 7.1.

It's so poorly programmed now that it's plainly unsafe for the driver to select any USB audio while driving.

That is not an improvement. That is not making the car better with every software update.

Totally agree with you, the metadata should be indexed and searchable and you should have the ability to create playlists from that data. I wasn't very happy with 7.1 in that regard either. The folders make it less painful, I guess. With all the programming effort being focused on AP improvements, I'm sure USB media control has taken a back seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevincwelch and jgs
Has the roll out slowed, or are all the U.S. cars already updated?

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

I hope they've stopped, after it trashing the AP for me I'm trying to figure out how to downgrade. It drove me off the road 3 times in under 15 minutes, clear highway, no cars, just swerving off into the rumble strip on a straight stretch of road. A stretch of road that I used to drive on with no trouble. First time I've actually felt unsafe in the car.

I'm in the process of seeing if that makes things any better. The only problem is that I shouldn't have to do that. Also, this means that for sub genres, I have to do it in those folders too. We are talking two dozen places to do this or scrap sub genres all together, which might be an option.

Reactions: jgs
I hope they've stopped, after it trashing the AP for me I'm trying to figure out how to downgrade. It drove me off the road 3 times in under 15 minutes, clear highway, no cars, just swerving off into the rumble strip on a straight stretch of road. A stretch of road that I used to drive on with no trouble. First time I've actually felt unsafe in the car.

Sorry to hear....was on a trip to NY this summer and travelled on Belt Parkway & the road was non lined and a pothole tundra. Don't envy you if you take that route often....

btw: reading all the challenges particularly for music enthusiasts, this is one of those occasions where I'm glad I'm at the back of the queue for a SW upgrade......