Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving to work today and I put on AP on a non-divided road just to test the slow 20 mph speed limit. Up ahead somebody walking crossed the street and the AP applied the brakes automatically. (They were not close to the car, so it was a slight brake press) Not sure if it was a coincidence or perhaps saw something else, but it was pretty neat. I will review the footage tonight.

I was driving to work today and I put on AP on a non-divided road just to test the slow 20 mph speed limit. Up ahead somebody walking crossed the street and the AP applied the brakes automatically. (They were not close to the car, so it was a slight brake press) Not sure if it was a coincidence or perhaps saw something else, but it was pretty neat. I will review the footage tonight.
Oh, that is excellent if validated. I've also had (quite some time ago on 7.1) the car drop out of TACC and into hill-hold when a pedestrian crossed in front of me when I was stopped at a light, that was probably the ultrasonics though.

This is behavior I'm really hoping to see, which Tesla hasn't said much about - less for pedestrians which are usually somewhat predictable and not suicidal and more for deer and the like.

Wondered if it might be that. This is my first fall and winter with my baby... does heating in winter consume more energy than cooling in the summer?
Short answer: Yes.

But it's not just about heating. Something about air density, yadda yadda yadda.
Click here, scroll to the range calculator on the bottom, turn off AC/Heat and watch as the range changes depending on outdoor temperature: Model S | Tesla

Well, that depends on where you live. For me, when my Wh/mi drops below 300, I know fall has arrived. In summer, I average 320-340 Wh/mi. In fall, I average 250 - 290 Wh/mi.
I probably don't track it as rigorously as you. I just eyeball it, and it seems the warmer it is the better my wh/mi and the colder it is the worse my wh/mi.

But that might depend on what temp the AC is kept, etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: Cyclone
Wondered if it might be that. This is my first fall and winter with my baby... does heating in winter consume more energy than cooling in the summer?
I noticed a consumption drop over the past week, half 7.1 half 8.0. Of course we had a drop in temps to the point that a/c is hardly needed. I'm pretty sure that is the only difference.
Short answer: Yes.

But it's not just about heating. Something about air density, yadda yadda yadda.
Click here, scroll to the range calculator on the bottom, turn off AC/Heat and watch as the range changes depending on outdoor temperature: Model S | Tesla

I concur with @Max* . For me, I notice a drop from Summer -> Fall, an increase from Fall -> Winter, and energy usage in Winter > Summer. Best I can determine, the decrease in temp from Summer -> Fall saves more energy than the increased energy usage due to air density. However, once we get to Winter temps, the increased heating needed and the even more dense air cause the scale to be tipped to be less efficient than Summer.

I just noticed something for the first time today.... got in the car after unlocking the gate to my club and for the short drive up the driveway I did not put on my seat belt. On the left side of the instrument cluster, my energy app was overlaid with a figure of the car and a red X on the drivers seat as the seatbelt warning sounded its' chimes... I have never seen that display in the instrument cluster.... something new or me just wearing the seatbelt.... is this new in 8.0??

Here in CT, the weather has been cooling so that air conditioning is no longer needed and it is not cold enough for using the heat much at all. I have seen a reduction in Wh/m by perhaps 30 over the last week on well known routes. The savings I can attribute to not using the HVAC much at all.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
On the left side of the instrument cluster, my energy app was overlaid with a figure of the car and a red X on the drivers seat as the seatbelt warning sounded its' chimes... I have never seen that display in the instrument cluster.... something new or me just wearing the seatbelt.... is this new in 8.0??
8.0 adds the location of the unfastened seatbelt(s).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ArtInCT