Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They *may* have improved Maps but Nav is still as inaccurate as it has always been and it's still missing route choices and waypoints. Since they haven't been able to fix it in years this baby might be something they should throw out and start again.
What is super confusing is that Google Maps basically already does this, right? On every major platform; Mac, PC, android, iOS, hell, even windows mobile....

Reactions: CHL
It's my impression that the following distance in 8.0 is greater and that there's less difference between 1-3. Around here, people cutting in front of you in traffic is a big problem so I'd prefer a shorter following distance at slow speeds.

Overall the AP seems smoother and less prone to go outside the lane markers which is good.

However, it also seems to have regressed a bit in rejecting exits, rest stops, etc. as lanes. A rest stop near us which the car hasn't tried to turn into for awhile now seems very attractive to 8.0.

Overall the AP seems smoother and less prone to go outside the lane markers which is good.

And here is the danger of anecdotal data. For me I've had more incidents of 8.0 riding on/over lanes than at any time in the last 3 months.

A lot of changes in AP are figments of people's (including my) imagination based on sample sizes too low to be significant.

They *may* have improved Maps but Nav is still as inaccurate as it has always been and it's still missing route choices and waypoints. Since they haven't been able to fix it in years this baby might be something they should throw out and start again.

I got lost yesterday using Nav. LOL.
Since I was in unfamiliar territory, I gave it a shot and it failed me again. Double tracked it against waze later in the day and it was consistently miles behind my location.......just like old times.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Well, I decided to upgrade. My biggest concern is the increased nagging, but I figured that the same way I've avoided the nag in the past will continue to avoid the nag with the new update.

Overall, I've got to say that I like the update, mostly just for interface improvements. The entire interface seems quicker to me, not nearly as much lag moving from screen to screen. I like the new map look, with the auto hiding and always on top. The media player seems a bit busy and took me a little bit to figure out, but it seems more functional now that I've used it some. I don't use USB media, so can't comment on that. Obviously, all the interface stuff is subjective and I suppose how much you like it will depend on how you like to set things up and how you use it. I like that it now calls contacts when you click on them or use the voice commands, instead of just bringing up the contact and making you click on the number. It's about time that they added XM categories!

For the little bit I've used it, autopilot does seem to be better at keeping itself centered in the lane. I do not like the increased nag frequency, but there are ways around it. If you do keep your hands off the wheel though (no need for more debate about the merits of doing so), the nag is very frequent, far more than before, and certainly not just when the car is unsure. I've actually found that at times when I would have expected the nag in the past (going around steeper curves), it doesn't typically go off anymore. Perhaps it's because the autopilot is improving and is more sure of itself. But, that's more than made up for by how frequently it does its timed nags now.

While it may already be detailed elsewhere, I haven't seen it, and this thread has gotten long. So, figured I'd quickly outline my experience with what will disable the autopilot for the remainder of the trip.
The first warning is visual, as it has always been. However, the new visual warning has a white pulsing border around the entire instrument cluster screen that increase in intensity the longer you ignore it. If you touch the wheel at any point during the visual warning, it will reset the alert. You can do this as many times as you want without constantly holding the wheel, it's just going to nag you frequently. Fortunately, this visual warning is MUCH easier to see than it was in the past, even if you're not paying attention to the screen and looking outside. I always thought the old visual warning was useless, as fixating inside the car is obviously not feasible. This one ought to get your attention, and avoid the audible warning.
The second warning is the audible one, which temporarily mutes whatever else is playing in your car. This is the warning that I used to find very annoying, because I got it frequently as I always missed the tiny visual warning and hated that it muted the radio, as well as phone calls, when it went off. Fortunately, I think this will be an uncommon warning going forward, given the changes to the visual warning. Unfortunately, this is the warning that will trigger the autopilot to disable on the third time it goes off. I didn't go any further than that, because I can't imagine that people will ignore both the visual and first audible warning, unless it's for testing purposes.

So, if you're one of the people who use the system handsfree, as was demonstrated and intended by Elon, then you're in for a lot of nags! You can get rid of the nags by tugging the wheel as many times as you want, as long as you catch it before the audible alert. And, if you do keep a hand (or both) on the wheel, it really doesn't take much torque at all to keep the nags away. Just a finger or two at the bottom of the wheel seemed to do it for me.

And, while I'm glad that autopilot keeps improving and I personally like the new interface, I am still pretty disappointed with all of the missed opportunities. As has been mentioned, the navigation is still pretty much the same and still missing basic features that should have been added a long time ago. Voice control doesn't seem any faster or any better to me. While the media player UI is better (IMO), it still could be an awful lot more intuitive and still has plenty room for improvement.

Right, but I thInk the additional challenge Tesla has is having Nav work offline in case there is no cell connection.

Google Maps has a caching option where it can download sections or whole maps for use offline. Also, there is a SDcard slot in the MCU that is loaded with maps I believe. I'd gladly pay a couple bucks for a 128GB sdcard to throw in there for offline maps if that's all it takes.

Reactions: vdiv and liuping
And here is the danger of anecdotal data. For me I've had more incidents of 8.0 riding on/over lanes than at any time in the last 3 months.

A lot of changes in AP are figments of people's (including my) imagination based on sample sizes too low to be significant.
Ive been taking dashcam videos of every time AP does something out of the ordinary. With regards to lane keeping, let's just say it's a little more enthusiastic than it used to be.

Reactions: pchilds
Google Maps has a caching option where it can download sections or whole maps for use offline. Also, there is a SDcard slot in the MCU that is loaded with maps I believe. I'd gladly pay a couple bucks for a 128GB sdcard to throw in there for offline maps if that's all it takes.
I think you will find that without connectivity to the back end servers, the Google Maps app can't route you from one end of your driveway to the other much less anything fancier.

Not to say Tesla shouldn't do better; they should. But I don't envy them, they're being judged against a competitor with orders of magnitude more resources in every way including compute, AND easier constraints (nobody gets mad at Google when Maps can't route without connectivity).

Reactions: msnow
I think you will find that without connectivity to the back end servers, the Google Maps app can't route you from one end of your driveway to the other much less anything fancier.

Not to say Tesla shouldn't do better; they should. But I don't envy them, they're being judged against a competitor with orders of magnitude more resources in every way including compute, AND easier constraints (nobody gets mad at Google when Maps can't route without connectivity).
Listen, so you remember Microsoft Streets and trips in 1996 on 1 CD? I do. That was 20 years ago and back then you could choose from multiple routes, see/add POI, and exclude areas. So I don't buy it, I just don't. Bear in mind that this same software was also running a Pentium 133mhz with 16MB of RAM. With the exception of live traffic and construction, it can be done. It has been done.

Listen, so you remember Microsoft Streets and trips in 1996 on 1 CD? I do. That was 20 years ago and back then you could choose from multiple routes, see/add POI, and exclude areas. So I don't buy it, I just don't. Bear in mind that this same software was also running a Pentium 133mhz with 16MB of RAM. With the exception of live traffic and construction, it can be done. It has been done.
Like I said, they can and should do better. But they will never do as well as Google or Waze. Which is why they should partner with them instead.

Absolutely it can be done but I don't think Tesla prioritizes like we do, otherwise it would be done.

Reactions: jgs
Just like trying to make their own media player rather than CarPlay....partners would let them focus on what they do best.

It was actually more encouraging what they hadn't updated anything...then you could at least imagine it was because they were going to apply CarPlay any minute... now it turns out they continued to work on an in house media player?!?? Tough to understand what they were thinking there. I guess the staff were all driving Teslas and didn't notice what was going on in the rest of the world. Funny phenomenon that happens to every OEM.

Reactions: jgs
It's my impression that the following distance in 8.0 is greater and that there's less difference between 1-3. Around here, people cutting in front of you in traffic is a big problem so I'd prefer a shorter following distance at slow speeds.

+1 That's the biggest difference I've noticed in traffic, the car is very reluctant to fill the gap in slow moving traffic and there does not seem to be much difference in the 1-3 setting at slow speed. Much smoother stops though!