Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you recall, it did get a ton better in 7.1 by taking away supercharger stops 5min or shorter / fixing the "go back to last charger before continuing on" thing.
;). Not to mince words, but IMHO that was mostly fixing bugs because what had been designed and provided to the fleet was just flat out impractical in real use.

I may be a bit tougher than some given my tech support and customer service heritage -- but I just expect firmware bugs to be resolved in a timely manner no different than hardware problems generally are. Regardless, I appreciate personal effort and say Thank You when a quality first fix is delivered, but I don't get overly excited or give a lot of credit having something fixed that perhaps should not have broken, or was not as well designed or real-world tested as it could have been in the first place. I pass out true kudos for real steps forward that directly address Customer requirements, and when new quality features I find personal value in are delivered.

Reactions: nico180 and LastGas
Post after post of degraded AP performance on 8.0...

How much more before owners start pushing back? A dependable and amazing capability was apparently lost in 8.0. If you can't trust it not to drive into a truck what good is it? Hands on the wheel is great to prevent a crash, but it sounds like it just doesn't serve its original purpose from the sounds of these posts.

Full disclosure: I'm on 7.1 and any plans to change that diminish with every post here!

Reactions: Wanderer
I'm on 8.0 and it is considerably better then 7.1.

How much more before owners start pushing back? A dependable and amazing capability was apparently lost in 8.0. If you can't trust it not to drive into a truck what good is it? Hands on the wheel is great to prevent a crash, but it sounds like it just doesn't serve its original purpose from the sounds of these posts.

Full disclosure: I'm on 7.1 and any plans to change that diminish with every post here!

8.0 may be safer but 7.1 was much better to drive with. Hopefully this improves quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9
Many here disagree. Unfortunately, the only way to speak from experience is a one way street. I'm hoping to sample a friend's car that is on 8.0 soon. Cognitive bias?

Forums only collect and amplify bad experiences and complaints. It is impossible to extrapolate how widespread a problem is because you can't figure out the denominator.

That said I've noticed no difference in my 8.0 AP experience from 7.1 except smoother TACC.

Last edited:
Forums only collect and amplify bad experiences and complaints. It is impossible to extrapolate how widespread a problem is because you can't figure out the denominator.

That said I've noticed no difference in my 8.0 AP experience from 7.1 except smoother TACC.
That's true and I should have said on the freeways I drive on which are relatively busy SoCal traffic with frequent road work going on, AP bounces around the lane much more frequently than 7.1 (more like the original 7.0) plus I've had sudden hard braking for no apparent reason two times in the first few days after installing it. It also dives for trucks in the lane to my right. YMMV though depending on location and conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer
I'm not sure what to say, I put a lot of miles on AP, it's better in many ways.. The latest releases of 7.1 were pretty good too but 8.0 is still better. It's definitely safer than 7.1, sees more cars, is more reactive to cars potentially entering your lane, braking ramp up is better and feels safer. It takes turns better, handles the #1 lane on 8 East near College where they put up barriers up against the edge of the lane...

I'm sure there's new logic in use that relies on new ML algorithms.. It will get even better with more people and time.

I think this is what Elon was talking about, he didn't want any regression of ANY kind as some people don't understand this stuff and would likely complain with the slightest regression. I'd say, go ahead and notify Tesla, maybe they'll put you on a list that puts your car closer to the last batch for updates on the next major upgrade. This would be better for some.

That's true and I should have said on the freeways I drive on which are relatively busy SoCal traffic with frequent road work going on, AP bounces around the lane much more frequently than 7.1 (more like the original 7.0) plus I've had sudden hard braking for no apparent reason two times in the first few days after installing it. It also dives for trucks in the lane to my right. YMMV though depending on location and conditions.

Yup, not saying there aren't problems, just there's no evidence in favor of widespread panic. Certainly anomalies should be conveyed to Tesla and people should be wary of any new release.

;). Not to mince words, but IMHO that was mostly fixing bugs because what had been designed and provided to the fleet was just flat out impractical in real use.

I may be a bit tougher than some given my tech support and customer service heritage -- but I just expect firmware bugs to be resolved in a timely manner no different than hardware problems generally are. Regardless, I appreciate personal effort and say Thank You when a quality first fix is delivered, but I don't get overly excited or give a lot of credit having something fixed that perhaps should not have broken, or was not as well designed or real-world tested as it could have been in the first place. I pass out true kudos for real steps forward that directly address Customer requirements, and when new quality features I find personal value in are delivered.

I guess my real problem is that I feel if I am too hard/demanding on Tesla with regards to the software, they won't fix anything as punishment.

;) You can always still use your finger to do the walking, searching, scrolling and selection on the 17". Just remember to keep your eyes on the road!

Seriously, another hands-free option would be to skip use of your MS Phone Call capability, and if you have say an iPhone, use Siri to place the call. Assuming you have your phone pre-paired, when it begins to dial, it will assume control of your 8.0 Media Player "Phone" (aka Bluetooth) connection and you can talk and hear through your MS mic and speakers without touching anything. I personally HATE doing workarounds for basics like that in my Tesla, as IMHO I just shouldn't have to if Tesla were listening to its Customers, but it is an option for you to consider ...no different than how some Owners that don't trust Tesla Nav or Traffic Rerouting, choose to use another mapping app or Waze on their smartphone to workaround what they consider Tesla Infotainment deficiencies.​

Off Topic...

Bert, I've often noticed many of your posts have some paragraphs indented like the 2nd paragraph above. Are you doing this purposefully? If so, may I ask what you are trying to convey? I haven't been able to determine what you are trying to say, nor figure out how this could be an accident so often. I like your detailed posts and want to make sure I am getting the most I can from them. Thanks!

Reactions: jgs
I truly believe my car is trying to kill me. I have tried AP on highways, wide roads, fast, slow etc. Once engaged, besides the truck lust it moves all over the road. I seem to dive from one side of the road to the other. Is my car unusually dangerous or are others experiencing this as well? I have only had my car a week and a half and 8.0 for a week. Am I asking for too much?

These seems more treacherous than the USB issues.

Yes your car is unusually dangerous and I wouldn't drive w AP on it. I'd go to the service center and show them. Something must be wrong if AP never works.

AP 8.0 has been excellent for me, knowing its limitations.

I'm driving down to SoCal for the weekend, and I've noticed some of the AP 8.0 complaints are based there, so I'm going to have my hands extra ready on the wheel. I'll report back if I survive the experience!

Reactions: Stoneymonster
Something super odd happened which is a first on v8. I hopped in the car at 12:06am, which is not normal. I walked in on the media app in the middle of scanning my 5 USB volumes. It was at 16% for the two largest volumes (8k/5k tracks) so it must have started *right* at midnight. Anyway, I was not allowed to pick anything from the volumes being scanned so I picked a track from my "new music" stick that only has 200 songs on it. I went ahead and started driving, and I noticed that the scans were moving a lot faster than their initial scan last week when v8 was upgraded. Within 10 min, both large volumes were at 60%+. Now, remember, I'm still listening to the small USB volume then all of the sudden that kicks off and the media player starts playing tracks from the volume I tried to select originally (the 5k track volume), but couldnt. So there you go. Maybe there is some type of rapid scan that Tesla is implementing in the middle of the night to avoid the long scans people are having to put up with.

Oh, and btw, shuffle was not on when I got in the car. I made triple sure it was when I left it previously.

This is all little disconcerting. I take delivery in a couple months. Okay so I'm prepared to use my phone to listen to my music collection, navigating using Waze, and surfing the internet. This is what I'm doing in my 2004 Lexus anyway. Hopefully I don't have to pull my old garage door opener out of the junk drawer and Velcro it into my Tesla.

I did pay $2500 for AP because I felt like I would be missing out if I didn't get it, and then end up paying $3000 . I don't really need it for my traffic free 10 mile commute, but I do plan on doing a few 3 hr road trips a year. So now, ironically, I want to know if I can turn off all of the active safety features and make the car act like a classic MS. I don't want my car automatically braking for no reason, trying to steer away from objects that aren't there, and beeping at me when I cross the center lane to give bikers and pedestrians more room. How primitive can I make my technological marvel of a car?

I don't really have any regrets. I'm buying it #1 because it's electric. #2 it's the safest electric car. #3 My wife told me to buy one. She thinks I have Tesla psychosis, and that owning one will cure my disorder. I'm not going to tell her that I heard it usually makes the condition worse. #4 definitely not because it has a giant touchscreen. I would be OK with old fashioned knobbly bits.

This is all little disconcerting. I take delivery in a couple months. Okay so I'm prepared to use my phone to listen to my music collection, navigating using Waze, and surfing the internet. This is what I'm doing in my 2004 Lexus anyway. Hopefully I don't have to pull my old garage door opener out of the junk drawer and Velcro it into my Tesla.

I did pay $2500 for AP because I felt like I would be missing out if I didn't get it, and then end up paying $3000 . I don't really need it for my traffic free 10 mile commute, but I do plan on doing a few 3 hr road trips a year. So now, ironically, I want to know if I can turn off all of the active safety features and make the car act like a classic MS. I don't want my car automatically braking for no reason, trying to steer away from objects that aren't there, and beeping at me when I cross the center lane to give bikers and pedestrians more room. How primitive can I make my technological marvel of a car?

I don't really have any regrets. I'm buying it #1 because it's electric. #2 it's the safest electric car. #3 My wife told me to buy one. She thinks I have Tesla psychosis, and that owning one will cure my disorder. I'm not going to tell her that I heard it usually makes the condition worse. #4 definitely not because it has a giant touchscreen. I would be OK with old fashioned knobbly bits.
You made the correct decision in buying the Autopilot.

When we first got the Autopilot software, it wanted to take every exit on a divided highways. Over a period of time it continued to get better. The last version of 7.1 Autopilot was very good. Since Tesla has added some new features they have also added a few new issues. Tesla will work out these issues with new software updates. It is a shame that we continue to go 2 steps forward and then 1 step backwards. Most of the AP issues will hopefully be worked out in 2 months before you car is delivered.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex and BertL
I've been thinking about the truck lust issue. I have experienced this behavior myself. I haven't had a good opportunity to see if it has changed any in 8.0 vs 7.1. I never liked the dead center to right of center lane position that AP seems to prefer when passing a truck. But I've also started to remember back to the days I rode a light motorcycle with full fairing. I remember how when passing a truck, especially in a crosswind, that I had to fight being sucked close to the truck. I wonder if a Venturi type effect is what is causing the car to veer toward the truck. After all, the car can be steered without disengaging AP so it stands to reason that a side wind load might be able to drag the car closer to the truck. Obliviously in a pure crosswind with no traffic the car drives pretty straight, so I do believe that it is very much related to large vehicles like buses, motor homes, and trucks, all of which I have had issues passing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex
Off Topic...

Bert, I've often noticed many of your posts have some paragraphs indented like the 2nd paragraph above. Are you doing this purposefully? If so, may I ask what you are trying to convey? I haven't been able to determine what you are trying to say, nor figure out how this could be an accident so often. I like your detailed posts and want to make sure I am getting the most I can from them. Thanks!
I've been trying to recently remember to do it in most cases attempting to isolate longer detail from more primary thoughts in text form, similar to how one would using sub-bullets in a Powerpoint or Keynote presentation.

Along those lines ;) : Some here have voiced a dislike or appear to skip long detail perhaps in-part because they prefer forums like this (or just my ramblings) to be more net with Twitter-like thoughts. OTOH since joining TMC and becoming accustomed to some of our ways, I started to provide more detail most of the time because I dislike ;) the way short summary posts (especially if controversial or technical) can many times be jumped on with qualitifcations, if's, and's and but's if they were not there in the first place... then the original thought becomes lost in the banter especially in some of these long flowing threads.​

So, net is, my goal is someone can read the stuff at the left if they like it shorter. Read it all if you care about more complete thoughts and musings.

OK, back to the 8.0 Topic at hand...

Last edited:
Did preconditioning get an update? IMG_0303.PNG