Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the same as you - until I saw a post by a gentleman a couple days ago. He's in Seattle and says autopilot works great there, but claims to have just taken a 6,400 mile road trip across the U.S. and found that when he left the "high Tesla density" area of the West Coast, autopilot's steering performance degraded and its ability to read speed signs accurately did as well.

If there is any truth to that it feeds my longstanding suspicion that autopilot may work better in areas where a lot of Teslas have built the crowdsourced maps Elon touted prior to 7.0's release. If any aspect of that mapping got "reset" with 8.0 and had to be built again, then perhaps the quality built faster back on the West Coast - or perhaps Tesla would go so far as to build the maps with company test cars prior to the version release in highly populated Tesla areas like SF/LA/Seattle/Portland - to avoid a wave of bad publicity.

I have no idea - this theory may be totally wrong - but it has crossed my mind. To test it I should tally up the complaints about 8.0, noting the city/state the complainer lives in, then compare to people saying 8.0 is great and make a graph.
Not disagreeing with your "build the maps" theory or an alternate theory I've heard being that it's different because of an increased weighting of radar but I think you'd have to get more granularity than city/state to a section of highway and direction traveled data model. I realize that's impractical to do but that's the way it feels to me. For example I can drive on the 101 North from Thousand Oaks to Santa Barbara with about a dozen instances of veering or truck lust each way when it used to be about 3 or 4. However if I head South on the 101 to 405, due to heavier traffic, poorly painted lines, temporary lanes and construction, AP is as unusable now as it was with 7.1. So my sense is it is a "local" thing as you hypothesized but probably more complex than just maps.

I asked my service rep to contact Tesla yesterday to push V8 to my 90D because I had a 400 mile drive today and wanted to see what people were complaining about with regard to degraded TACC and lane keeping. Tesla pushed the update, 2.40.21 mid-day yesterday and I did the 400 miles between LA and San Francisco today. TACC is much improved, especially in transitioning to a stop, much more gentle, and beginning to stop or slow by reading 2 cars ahead. It does this very well now. Lane keeping also seems much improved to me. Initially, it took few unexpected dives toward the center divider, even over the left lane line, on the 405 and a few unexpected moves towards cars on the left, but by the time I reached the 5 FWY all was well. I probably passed several hundred semis today, and not once, after the initial few swerves toward cars on the 405, did it gravitate towards a semi on the right. In lane keeping, the car tracked very well today even when lane lines were less than clear in construction areas. I probably did 340 of the 400 miles with lane keeping today and it was for me a much more confident drive. There is still a slight bias to the left lane though.

I asked my service rep to contact Tesla yesterday to push V8 to my 90D because I had a 400 mile drive today and wanted to see what people were complaining about with regard to degraded TACC and lane keeping. Tesla pushed the update, 2.40.21 mid-day yesterday and I did the 400 miles between LA and San Francisco today. TACC is much improved, especially in transitioning to a stop, much more gentle, and beginning to stop or slow by reading 2 cars ahead. It does this very well now. Lane keeping also seems much improved to me. Initially, it took few unexpected dives toward the center divider, even over the left lane line, on the 405 and a few unexpected moves towards cars on the left, but by the time I reached the 5 FWY all was well. I probably passed several hundred semis today, and not once, after the initial few swerves toward cars on the 405, did it gravitate towards a semi on the right. In lane keeping, the car tracked very well today even when lane lines were less than clear in construction areas. I probably did 340 of the 400 miles with lane keeping today and it was for me a much more confident drive. There is still a slight bias to the left lane though.

Thanks for posting!

I was wondering if the improvement I noticed (and now my wife, she drove our old route today with AP 8.0 and said it was definitely better than AP 7.1) was based on some type of cached data. Some had mentioned in the past that there is local cached data that improves 7.1 on repeat routes.

This got me thinking that some of the improvement we experienced with 8.0 was because we had done our route so many times. Your post indicates it's much more robust than what I was thinking, as the improvement is with new routes as well. Thanks!

You don't have to upgrade just because it is offered. I am still sticking with 7.1 based on all the comments I have read here. I generally love new gadgets and functionality, but it seems like in this case 8.0 brings mostly disadvantages so I just don't see the point of upgrading. The only advantage I have seen up till now is that TACC seems to be smoother in stop and go traffic due to the radar, but I have never really experienced a problem with that so it doesnt seem sufficient reason to upgrade.

I just keep cancelling the upgrade screen every time it comes up on my screen.

There are three major advantages that are applicable to most everyone

1.) The car can respond to the car braking two cars ahead of you. This makes TACC based driving safer especially since you can't even do that because you can't see that car

2.) Without 8.0 you can't contribute to the white listing that Tesla is trying to do before releasing 8.1 (or whatever version it ships on) where they plan on vastly improving the AEB.

3.) More regen. You can feel it, but it's hard to tell if there are any efficiency gains due to colder weather coinciding with the release.

There are some additional things I like

1.) Media player changes to make it easier to select which streaming station. I do prefer it over the old one.

2.) The manual is better. Haha.

As to the bugs I generally ignore reports about AP and lane-keeping because I don't think we really know what to blame.

For me I find that most of the bugs are with the media player. Like the stopping before the end of the song is really annoying. But, I'm not going to give up the tracking the car two cars ahead for that.

Reactions: Wanderer
you can't even do that because you can't see that car

I wonder about this (I have no doubt that it is there, and that it works etc. etc. Bjorn has a video where he tested it with two "friendly" cars in front of him)

I drive at a reasonable distance - usually 2 seconds (which is about 5 on the TACC Distance Setting). I don't think that the Radar will see two cars ahead unless the car in front of me is tailgating the one in front of that, even then I'm not sure. Bjorn had to tighten up his follow-distance to an almost uncomfortable point to get it to work.

Also, because I hang back, I can often see half a dozen cars ahead, particularly if there is a slight bend, or I can see the high brake lights through the screen of the car(s) in front, so I think I have more chance to brake for "something ahead" than the 2-car radar. But if ever the 2-car-radar sees something that I don't then that's definitely a bonus, but for me its a collaboration

Reactions: Wanderer
I wonder about this (I have no doubt that it is there, and that it works etc. etc. Bjorn has a video where he tested it with two "friendly" cars in front of him)

I drive at a reasonable distance - usually 2 seconds (which is about 5 on the TACC Distance Setting). I don't think that the Radar will see two cars ahead unless the car in front of me is tailgating the one in front of that, even then I'm not sure. Bjorn had to tighten up his follow-distance to an almost uncomfortable point to get it to work.

Also, because I hang back, I can often see half a dozen cars ahead, particularly if there is a slight bend, or I can see the high brake lights through the screen of the car(s) in front, so I think I have more chance to brake for "something ahead" than the 2-car radar. But if ever the 2-car-radar sees something that I don't then that's definitely a bonus, but for me its a collaboration

I thought the main driver for the radar seeing two cars in front was not primarily their distance (though I'm sure that is a factor), but their difference in speed. If the two vehicles are driving at relatively the same speed, the radar would have a much harder time distinguishing between the two, but any decision for reacting to the car directly in front would be valid for the car one more ahead. However, if they are traveling at different speeds, the radar echos would be easier to separate between the two, and also the decision on how to react could be different for each car. Thus, such testing could simply be a factor of the differences between the two lead cars.

Reactions: BertL
Does this mean that Tesla heard it's 8.0 UI improvements weren't improvements after all, and is now going to unimprove them? Maybe even go back to something that isn't distracting and poorly readable? Maybe someone realized it's for a car and not a tablet, and we'll get the 6.2 UI back? One can only hope.
Well, there have been literally hundreds of hours of testing and some really good interpretation/results posted here on this forum. Not to diminish the work the firmware team does as far as fixing those problems. But if they aren't the ones actually using the software, then the data found here on TMC is literally half the battle for them to come up with fixing them. We've basically given them a very specific road-map to the items that need to be addressed and even how best to address them. This, paired with EAP feedback (which I am completely dubious as to the usefulness since v8 actually made it into the wild) should make for a very interesting 8.01.

if they are traveling at different speeds, the radar echos would be easier to separate between the two

The doubt in my mind is how far ahead the radar can "see" [i.e. a second car, seen under the first car], and how likely that two cars will be within that range. I have no knowledge of the capabilities of radar, so it could be miles for all I know! but it seems to me that the information is only useful if there is limited reaction time, and thus a short-ish distance, to car-two slowing down.

Don't know if this was just a problem I was having, but under 7.1 when I initiated listen for a call, the UI would only bring up my address book and I had to select the contact to dial out. Under V8, making the command cause the dial out, or reading a phone number initiates the call. So I am finally where I was with my 2013 volt, four years later.