Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.. I still don't have the 8.0 update. My car was in a Tesla body shop for about 4 weeks until early October for a dent repair so I may have missed the update push? I went to the owner social this past Sunday and they were surprised I had not received the update yet. They had me call Tesla Technical Support who told me lots of owners did not have the update yet and not to worry about it. Anyone have any advice on what I should do to get the update faster? Thanks in advance!
You should have got it by now. In the past I have called my own Service Center and asked them if they could have Fremont push it to me or if I could drop by and they made arrangements both times.

So it seems everyone except for 5 of us have gotten 2.40.21, according to firmware tracker. I am one of those 5. My "equalizer" resets to 0 now, except for bass, tg. I haven't been able to keep up, but is there a list somewhere of what was "fixed" in this iteration?

Hm. I'm confused then, because when I look at the tracker it shows almost 400 cars with 2.40.21. And about an equal number with the first version of 8.0. Are all of those outside the US?

Just to followup -- each row in the firmware tracker is independent. Each row tracks the history of when cars were updated with that firmware version. There may or may not be overlap of the same cars on each row (although that is likely). When a specific car is upgraded, its previous history is not changed (i.e. their tracking count doesn't move up).

So it's not easy to track what you are implying, since different cars are reported on each line. Now I could certainly add some reports that say "Of the cars that did receive build X have been upgraded to build Y", but since not all cars get all builds, many cars will skip build X and go right to build Y. So even that kind of report would not be accurate. Also, as new people log on to the tracker and enter their current build info, that inflates the most recent build counts, without any prior history.

What is possible is for all the builds older than the most current build is to say "## users are still on this older build" which I had added for a while, but it wasn't being calculated correctly, so I removed it.

Having read most of the posts regarding the huge number of problems with 8.0 (and the problems cover just about everything not just the media player issues with USB devices) I don't think it would be unfair to suggest that the Tesla staff who worked on it are close to incompetent. For a tech company like Tesla the 8.0 failings are inexcusable.

Guys, guys, media player fixed.....
IMG_20161025_100848.jpg

What is possible is for all the builds older than the most current build is to say "## users are still on this older build" which I had added for a while, but it wasn't being calculated correctly, so I removed it.
Please put it back! I thought it was very useful for understanding the dynamics of the update process from a high level. It would be even better for the numbers to be accurate, but even approximate is good.

Much thanks for your efforts at collecting and presenting the data!

Reactions: MP3Mike
Please put it back! I thought it was very useful for understanding the dynamics of the update process from a high level. It would be even better for the numbers to be accurate, but even approximate is good.

Much thanks for your efforts at collecting and presenting the data!

I'm a little busy this week ;)

I'll give it another shot in November.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Having read most of the posts regarding the huge number of problems with 8.0 (and the problems cover just about everything not just the media player issues with USB devices) I don't think it would be unfair to suggest that the Tesla staff who worked on it are close to incompetent. For a tech company like Tesla the 8.0 failings are inexcusable.

At the least they should hire a competent usability expert. A lot of us folks are older and when you are driving, reasonable contrast, proper button placement, and a minimum of button pushing is of high priority. Concentrate on better usability and do not change things just for cuteness; eg. Phone icon.

This is not a new feature in V8.0, V7.1 would speed up and slow down automatically with a 5 mph over the posted speed limit.

The new "feature" in 8.0 is that it doesn't let you increase the max speed beyond 5mph over the current speed limit. Also, it lowers it for you when a lower speed limit zone is entered, AND it keeps it down to that lower speed when you exit the slow zone - even though you're back to the higher speed limit.

In my test example, 7.1 would have NOT dropped my max set speed from 55 to 45, but would have correctly reduced the travel speed to 45mph. Then, upon exiting the reduces speed zone, the car would have accelerated back up to 55mph.

THAT's the behavior I'm now missing in 8.0 and wished they hadn't mucked with.

The new "feature" in 8.0 is that it doesn't let you increase the max speed beyond 5mph over the current speed limit. Also, it lowers it for you when a lower speed limit zone is entered, AND it keeps it down to that lower speed when you exit the slow zone - even though you're back to the higher speed limit.

In my test example, 7.1 would have NOT dropped my max set speed from 55 to 45, but would have correctly reduced the travel speed to 45mph. Then, upon exiting the reduces speed zone, the car would have accelerated back up to 55mph.

THAT's the behavior I'm now missing in 8.0 and wished they hadn't mucked with.
To be clear, this is only the case when you have Autosteer engaged on a non-interstate(ish) road. If you're just using TACC, they didn't mess with it. Just like in 7.1.

Wow, KmanAuto really lays it thick in his assessment from a couple of weeks ago. His anxiety and even anger is shared by many of us and is rather revealing, his attempt to stay positive about the release unfortunately has little to stand on:
I really think that 2.36.x and 2.38.x were unfinished (call them beta if you wish) builds and that many of who did not sign up to be Tesla's testers had the "pleasure" of doing just that. 2.40.x is slightly better, but still has major UI flaws, and who knows what else is going on in the backend separate from the client in the car that is wreaking havoc with navigation.

At the least they should hire a competent usability expert. A lot of us folks are older and when you are driving, reasonable contrast, proper button placement, and a minimum of button pushing is of high priority. Concentrate on better usability and do not change things just for cuteness; eg. Phone icon.

Wow, KmanAuto really lays it thick in his assessment from a couple of weeks ago. His anxiety and even anger is shared by many of us and is rather revealing, his attempt to stay positive about the release unfortunately has little to stand on:
I really think that 2.36.x and 2.38.x were unfinished (call them beta if you wish) builds and that many of who did not sign up to be Tesla's testers had the "pleasure" of doing just that. 2.40.x is slightly better, but still has major UI flaws, and who knows what else is going on in the backend separate from the client in the car that is wreaking havoc with navigation.

Watching now, but the fact he has a giant stack of papers lets me know this is going to be bad, very bad. Does this guy show up on Tesla's radar because I'm kinda hoping he does. What is his username on here?

You should have got it by now. In the past I have called my own Service Center and asked them if they could have Fremont push it to me or if I could drop by and they made arrangements both times.

Thanks! I am going to try to do this with my SC to see if they can push the update to me. I am really interested in having the radar detect 2 cars ahead in Autopilot.. I feel that will help increase safety which is the most important thing for me.

Finally got a chance to use AP 8.0. Have to say, much better than 7.1. Drove our original route (long highway with multiple turns and one long 90 degree turn).

Before, with the turns, AP 7.1 would barrow into the turns and make pretty sharp corrections, occasionally popping out of the lane. Also because the road sucks and has grids and over-painted lane markings all over the place, AP 7.1 would drift. With the sun, the light lane markings and light road, there were stretches where AP 7.1 would lose the markings. If there wasn't a car to follow, it would start to drift or just disable itself. These issues did improve over time, but to some degree always persisted. We just learned to be vigilant with it's behavior.

Today with 8.0 the turns were silky smooth. My wife never once did her usual panic jumps from the Tesla inching toward the car to the right in AP 7.1 during a turn. It steered itself confidently along the crappy lane markings and grids (still there, no change). Finally there was a stretch where AP 8.0 lost the lane markings and had no car in front to guide itself. I watched as it approximated a lane on the dash and followed it. Even when the road turned (and it still didn't find the lane markings), the car still followed the turn without freaking out and eventually picked up the lane markings later.

Stop and go traffic it was very smooth. Only once slowing slightly more abruptly because a car changed into my lane. Lane changes with AP 8.0 were nominal, very happy about that. No overshoot or undershoot.

Very nice.

I won't go into the radio issues as everyone has pretty much covered it. Same here.

Didn't get a chance to go to the sales/service center. Wife may try tomorrow (to see if geo-fencing can work....hope, hope...we're still on 2.38.106). I told her not to get her hopes up based on what you all have said here.

Reactions: Cyclone
Still waiting here but enjoying 7.1 while it lasts.

You don't have to upgrade just because it is offered. I am still sticking with 7.1 based on all the comments I have read here. I generally love new gadgets and functionality, but it seems like in this case 8.0 brings mostly disadvantages so I just don't see the point of upgrading. The only advantage I have seen up till now is that TACC seems to be smoother in stop and go traffic due to the radar, but I have never really experienced a problem with that so it doesnt seem sufficient reason to upgrade.

I just keep cancelling the upgrade screen every time it comes up on my screen.