Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually met 2 Beta/EAP owners in California, and after having some lengthy conversations with them (nothing revealing about what they are testing), its clear that they are not the main measure of Quality Control, so its silly when owners get buggy releases and then try to blame the beta/EAP owners for "missing" things. It is the developers and internal QA's job to catch defects and give primary feedback, the beta/EAP is just as was mentioned above to ensure that it works on multiple hardware configurations. So please stop bashing these men and women who are fellow owners, and put the blame where it needs to be with the Tesla dev/QA team. Also the one thing I was also able to confirm is that they test major releases and not incremental so the theory on these releases being for 8.1 but released early makes more sense as to why this is happening. 8.1 will need to follow the speed limit more closely in order to follow the nav route on highways...and especially for AP2 cars which are deemed "fully autonomous" they cant afford to mess up or do anything that would compromise the integrity of the FSD push.
You misunderstood my comment. My point was that the beta testing process is flawed not the testers themselves. Tesla needs sufficient testers across diverse models and configurations that are given direction on what they should be looking for and a process for reporting and fixes. That should happen before it is released to production rather than using us the customers as the primary source of testing.
In any mature technology environment the developers and QA people have adequate and trained resources to accomplish this task. Time for Tesla to "grow up" before they get overwhelmed when the M3 comes out. That user base won't be as forgiving as we are.

I really don't think the EAP testers or beta testers, as you referred to them a are getting early access to many of these incremental releases. If I had to guess, I'd say only the major releases get pushed out to those in the program. They'll probably get 8.1 before the rest of us, but the versions being pushed between now and then, I would guess, get some relatively quick internal testing, and then get pushed out to us.

In Tesla's defense, by and large the "bugs" we have been finding in these releases have been annoying, but, with rare exception, have not been safety issues. I'm not in any way attempting to make excuses for Tesla. But while the equalizer resetting is annoying, the car suddenly speeding up to 85 MPH unexpectedly, or veering into highway barriers would be infinitely worse.

Based on the time difference between EAP releases and releases on non-EAP cars (I have one of each, though I am no longer in the EAP on either) I think you are right. If I report a blocking bug there may be enough time to fix it or delay the release of the version, but for regressions or other non-critical bugs there's not enough time to fix the bug, test the fix thoroughly in the EAP cars and get to stable quality. I think Tesla should slow down the release process and increase the size of EAP so there's enough time to fix bugs during the EAP. And also make reporting bugs easier (the "bug report" voice command works much better now, but it still often requires a few tries to get a detailed bug description accepted, which is what they should be shooting for). Otherwise we will continue to see frequent regressions getting the mainstream releases, even more so as more variations of the hardware accumulate on the road.
I wonder what Elon thinks when he hits these bugs himself.

Based on the time difference between EAP releases and releases on non-EAP cars (I have one of each, though I am no longer in the EAP on either) I think you are right. If I report a blocking bug there may be enough time to fix it or delay the release of the version, but for regressions or other non-critical bugs there's not enough time to fix the bug, test the fix thoroughly in the EAP cars and get to stable quality. I think Tesla should slow down the release process and increase the size of EAP so there's enough time to fix bugs during the EAP. And also make reporting bugs easier (the "bug report" voice command works much better now, but it still often requires a few tries to get a detailed bug description accepted, which is what they should be shooting for). Otherwise we will continue to see frequent regressions getting the mainstream releases, even more so as more variations of the hardware accumulate on the road.
I wonder what Elon thinks when he hits these bugs himself.
I always wonder that too

I will say it again. Tesla needs an "ambassador" group that is made up of extremely active Tesla owners with dev/tech experience, that can thoroughly test features, troubleshoot, offer up technical solutions, and follow up on results. Then that same group can funnel in new ideas for features that the ownership base actually want and need.

I will say it again. Tesla needs an "ambassador" group that is made up of extremely active Tesla owners with dev/tech experience, that can thoroughly test features, troubleshoot, offer up technical solutions, and follow up on results. Then that same group can funnel in new ideas for features that the ownership base actually want and need.
Exactly this would transform both the UI AND the user experience

Reactions: TrafficEng

To some extent we are that group. They are getting feedback from all of the owners after every push (both vocally and electronically). Any software update will suffer to a great or larger extent from the law of unintended consequences, where change A begets a strange behavior in feature B. Again, as we aren't among the developers and testers, we can't say with even the tiniest bit of authority, why an update is being pushed out, except to the extent the release notes say something is being added/fixed/etc.... Even then, the reason that X.XX.XXX is being released may be primarily to fix a bug that we may or may not have noticed, to increase performance or capability behind the scenes, which is why we wonder why there is a release that adds new equalizer settings (but may in fact be a release that primarily fixes truck lust). I only say this because I was on 2.42.40 forever and had significant problems with lane-keeping, truck lust and certain other aberrant behaviors. I just got 2.50.114 and on my first drive with it this am noticed a striking difference in how autopilot behaved. Braking into forward traffic was significantly smoother, I stopped ping-ponging between lanes all the time, the car didn't try to swerve off towards exits in places it had previously, and truck lust was diminished (but not gone). And my new equalizer settings persist. On the other hand, after the 2.42.40 update, the seat ventilation settings on the driver side only would not persist. Now they do. My biggest concern is that updates improve drive-ability and performance/safety. If they need to push out frequent updates to address this, and tack on other "features" I'm willing to be the beta tester on those features. I don't deny anyone's right to be annoyed (I have been right there with you), but it really isn't that big a deal. In the end I think Tesla keeps pushing the car forward, and we should keep pushing back when we think it hasn't gone right, but that fact that they continue to improve things, even if some of us don't agree.

BTW, used autopilot on an undivided local road this am and it let me set default to 50 in a 35. Go figure.