Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to force the update to download? I've not received it yet. I'm heading out on a road trip in a few days and would really like to use the new upgraded autosteer.

If it's important enough, go to the Service Center and explain the situation. They have some ability to make it happen but they're already busy, and if everyone goes to them to hurry their updates, they'll be swamped and have to turn everyone away.

Also, make sure the car is parked plugged in to Wi-Fi for long periods as much as you can. Tesla always rolls out to cars on Wi-Fi before those on cellular.

If it's important enough, go to the Service Center and explain the situation. They have some ability to make it happen but they're already busy, and if everyone goes to them to hurry their updates, they'll be swamped and have to turn everyone away.

Also, make sure the car is parked plugged in to Wi-Fi for long periods as much as you can. Tesla always rolls out to cars on Wi-Fi before those on cellular.

I won't go to the service center over it. I e been making sure it's connect to Wifi when I park in the garage. Is there any way to ensure it stays connected?

Got 8.1 early, yesterday, literally right before leaving on a 250 mile trip. About 80% of the drive was on well marked interstate. AP 2.0 worked very well. Lane change also worked well, although a couple of times I did get the jerky motion described in some earlier posts. With a couple of expected exceptions, autosteer even worked well in construction zones where there were temporary lane dividers and diverted lanes.

We also got to experience the advanced braking capabilities. We were moving along at about 65 MPH in a construction zone behind a large pickup truck. My car started to unexpectedly slow down. I thought it was some phantom AP2 braking, but suddenly the truck in front of us veered to the left shoulder to avoid hitting a car that had almost come to a stop in the lane in front of it. I never saw the car, but my car safely slowed to a stop. Fortunately there were no collisions (and the vehicles behind me were able to stop in time!).

I did have one minor strange quirk. After a brief stop at a highway rest area, when I returned to the highway I noticed that the auto lane change setting had turned itself off. Otherwise no problem.

Also had a chance to test the summon feature in my grandmother's garage. It worked great. My hard to impress wife was actually impressed!

Overall I am really pleased with the update and very comfortable with autosteer at the higher speeds - at least on well marked highways.

I got 8.1 right before a long trip, close 500 miles.

On highway traffic, I am impressed!

Few minor issues:
  • Autosteer tends to over shot a bit, you can feel the steering wheel's macro movements. I believe in the coming release, tesla will make the steering more robust;
  • "keep your hands on the wheel" shows up every minute if your hands are off the steering wheel, I suppose as tesla gaining confidence in it's software, the "reminder" period will get longer or disappear;
  • lane change works okay, few times it jerks a bit and it's kinda of scary.
  • Autosteer on local road still needs a lot of improvement.

On a multi state road trip. Over 700 miles so far on 8.1 with ap2. Its working well. Still improvement to go. Couple issue I have not seen noted here. AP doesn't seem to handle windy roads well. It will ping-pong the lane you are in. Also, seen two cases of truck lust. To the point I won't drive past a truck without my hands firmly on the wheel.

On a multi state road trip. Over 700 miles so far on 8.1 with ap2. Its working well. Still improvement to go. Couple issue I have not seen noted here. AP doesn't seem to handle windy roads well. It will ping-pong the lane you are in. Also, seen two cases of truck lust. To the point I won't drive past a truck without my hands firmly on the wheel.
I've noted those issues as well. Ping pong once debited from lane lines and headed to concrete divider. When I took over car fishtailed from my overcorrection. Tough to really instantly steer correctly when your headed for disaster. I liked to 55mph version's confidence and the 80mph speed. I think next update will refine these rough corners but for now it's not acceptable on turns.

Not that I'm aware of - as long as it reconnects to Wi-Fi when you park, I think it will grab the Wi-Fi when you need it.
Five days and still no update for me even though my car is feet away from the Wi-Fi extender. My car still never automatically connects to my home Wi-Fi. If I manually connect it, it doesn't stay connected for more than a few seconds. It does connect (and stay connected) to a phone's Wi-Fi hotspot so I've resorted to this method once again. :(

One thing I've discovered about connecting to wifi is that if I use the smartphone app to unlock and then relock the car doors, the car reconnects to wifi. I was on a business trip when 8.1 came out. I used the app to keep my car connected to wifi in the garage at home and got the update Wednesday afternoon. That could all be coincidence, but it makes me feel better to think I can have an effect on it.

Five days and still no update for me even though my car is feet away from the Wi-Fi extender. My car still never automatically connects to my home Wi-Fi. If I manually connect it, it doesn't stay connected for more than a few seconds. It does connect (and stay connected) to a phone's Wi-Fi hotspot so I've resorted to this method once again. :(

When connected to your wifi, try using the car's browser. Does it work? If so, you should be good. My cars routinely disconnect from wifi when off. But connect when downloading updates.

If your browser does not work while connected, then you might need to look at your router settings and be sure firewalls are set to work properly with your car. Not sure about the setting, you might need to do additional research on that.

You might also try setting your extender to only repeat 2.4Ghz from your main wireless router. The car only uses 2.4 and there may be some issues if the repeater is broadcasting two bands.

Good Luck,
Greg

When connected to your wifi, try using the car's browser. Does it work? If so, you should be good. My cars routinely disconnect from wifi when off. But connect when downloading updates.

If your browser does not work while connected, then you might need to look at your router settings and be sure firewalls are set to work properly with your car. Not sure about the setting, you might need to do additional research on that.

You might also try setting your extender to only repeat 2.4Ghz from your main wireless router. The car only uses 2.4 and there may be some issues if the repeater is broadcasting two bands.

Good Luck,
Greg

Thanks for your suggestions but nothing I've tried has worked so far. If I connect to my Wi-Fi router, the browser does work but within seconds, the car switches back to LTE. The extender is set up to connect to my 2.4 Ghz router and only supports 2.4 Ghz. :(

With that said, within seconds of enabling a cellphone Wi-Fi hotspot this morning, my car automatically connected to it and downloaded a 417 MB package and is now installing the 8.1 update. :)

Reactions: OBX John
Thanks for your suggestions but nothing I've tried has worked so far. If I connect to my Wi-Fi router, the browser does work but within seconds, the car switches back to LTE. The extender is set up to connect to my 2.4 Ghz router and only supports 2.4 Ghz. :(

With that said, within seconds of enabling a cellphone Wi-Fi hotspot this morning, my car automatically connected to it and downloaded a 417 MB package and is now installing the 8.1 update. :)

That's terrible. I had trouble setting up my repeater too. Eventually, as I changed settings and set my router to provide a dedicated IP to the cars, they started to prefer the wifi over LTE. Took several days and no one at tesla knows how to help btw...

Are you downloading 17.9.10 now? Really interested in knowing what that update is about.

Greg

I believe 17.11.10 is only for Model X related to the FWD option being removed accidentally. I'm not sure its intended for Model S vehicles but Tesla isn't providing info so I'm not sure.

Is there anyone out there can confirm it? I heard about 17.11.10 but, surprisingly, not too many people mentioned it. I thought it was a April fool joke.

Thanks