Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious if anyone has needed calibration and if so how many miles did they drive? I was on the highway for an hour but no luck with autosteer over 50mph despite an upgrade a couple days ago to 8.1. I will know more this weekend as I have a road trip to DC. I am sure I just need to be patient. Thanks!

Probably about 5miles on the highway, then AS was showing as available at 75mph. I was very surprised, given I only picked the car up yesterday and the original calibration on 8.0 took about 90miles. Perhaps it was due to it only calibrating recently?

Anyway worked well and clearly pleased to get this update a day after being a new MS owner!

I am curious if anyone has needed calibration and if so how many miles did they drive? I was on the highway for an hour but no luck with autosteer over 50mph despite an upgrade a couple days ago to 8.1. I will know more this weekend as I have a road trip to DC. I am sure I just need to be patient. Thanks!

I had the message saying it needed calibration(though I don't remember it saying it needed the "manual" calibration referenced earlier). I did a ~3 mile each way drive that night, and my wife drove a bit during the next day and that night it let me do autosteering at 72 with no problem.

That said, from past experience, these things can vary wildly. I was one of the first 1000 people that got the autosteering/TACC update on December 31 and calibration took over 2 weeks and well over 1k miles(as I remember, it took getting the next update before it could complete). Other people reported calibration finishing after anywhere between 15 and 800 miles. Hang in there.

• Informative
Reactions: Doubletap67
It's definitely a little disconcerting that they had to use a second camera and still aren't at parity with HW1. I think their initial goal of parity back in December was, from what we now know, very unrealistic.

I'm not sure Tesla is that far ahead of other automakers/autonomous companies, but they obviously have the advantage of neural network.
I mean if all they had to do was turn on more cameras to get closer to parity don't you think they would have activated all of them already?

Reactions: MP3Mike
I mean if all they had to do was turn on more cameras to get closer to parity don't you think they would have activated all of them already?

Exactly. It's just following a development path. There is no trophy for matching functionality with a single camera. Sensor fusion between all the cameras is their real goal.

OK, serious comment and Q:
As others have reported, on non-Interstate-style roads we're still limited to 35mph. But I tried out the "steering wheel vibrates when you veer into another lane" function yesterday without success. Too far away from such a road for quick test spin for me.

Has anyone been able to verify that their car does provide this? Is it also functional only on LtdAccessHwys?

Steering wheel vibrates at 39 mph or greater and feels like you are riding on a rumble strip.

(BlueRocket's #148):
Thanks. So: this function operates, at present, only on LtdAxHwys. That's okay....but veering into the wrong lane of a 2-way, 2-lane road has the potential for being more catastrophic than if done between lanes 3 & 4 of a 6-lane Interstate.

I'll try to hit an Interstate in the next week to test out all of 8.1's 17.11.whateveritis.

Getting acclimatized to 17.11.3. After about 30 miles of driving noticed two issues that makes me nervous

1) auto lane change worked nicely most of the time except this once at ~9:28 pm b/w jamboree and university drive on south 405 . I turned on my right indicator and the T went over two lanes. That sort of shattered my confidence as I wasn't expecting that.

2) the AutoSteer in the carpool lanes at high speed makes me super nervous , as minor correction to stay super centered that involves moving towards the divider is nervracking. Need some work to smoother this experience .
It's equally bad in lane next two the carpool lane when there are double yellow lines.

So for now on 405 I'm happy with the experience sticking to 3rd lane from the left .

Stay safe and share tips to say safe !

• Informative
Reactions: Doctt
Got 8.1 early, yesterday, literally right before leaving on a 250 mile trip. About 80% of the drive was on well marked interstate. AP 2.0 worked very well. Lane change also worked well, although a couple of times I did get the jerky motion described in some earlier posts. With a couple of expected exceptions, autosteer even worked well in construction zones where there were temporary lane dividers and diverted lanes.

We also got to experience the advanced braking capabilities. We were moving along at about 65 MPH in a construction zone behind a large pickup truck. My car started to unexpectedly slow down. I thought it was some phantom AP2 braking, but suddenly the truck in front of us veered to the left shoulder to avoid hitting a car that had almost come to a stop in the lane in front of it. I never saw the car, but my car safely slowed to a stop. Fortunately there were no collisions (and the vehicles behind me were able to stop in time!).

I did have one minor strange quirk. After a brief stop at a highway rest area, when I returned to the highway I noticed that the auto lane change setting had turned itself off. Otherwise no problem.

Also had a chance to test the summon feature in my grandmother's garage. It worked great. My hard to impress wife was actually impressed!

Overall I am really pleased with the update and very comfortable with autosteer at the higher speeds - at least on well marked highways.

The problem with AP2 successfully navigating even minor curves at high speed really makes me wonder if some of the devs missed the geometry class on using a compass. Interstate highways typically have excellent lane markings. And the arc of a curve is simple to plot once you have several data points especially with the minor curvature one encounters on interstate highways. What happened to all that mega-processing power of the supercomputer sitting behind the glove box? Can it not do the math to stay centered on a lane marker once the cameras detect an arc in the highway? I guess the good news is that, when Elon flies off to Mars, at least he'll be traveling in a straight line. :rolleyes:

Just a word of caution to keep your hands on your remote so you can push a button to stop the car if it does something stupid. Mine started backing up without opening the garage door even though that option had been checked. Detecting an object didn't seem to work either since it was within 6 inches of the garage door. :eek:

The ultrasonic sensors have limitations in detecting things very close to them, and shouldn't be relied on much below one foot. You may have been too close for the door to register.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
So you think there is zero concern about Tesla now using two cameras and still not achieving parity with HW1, 3 months after they said they'd achieve parity with HW1?

Correct. Zero concern.

I take it you weren't driving an S when AP1 came out. It started out shaky and took quite a bit of time to improve to its current state. And there were zero additional cameras or sensors added during that time.

The problem with AP2 successfully navigating even minor curves at high speed really makes me wonder if some of the devs missed the geometry class on using a compass. Interstate highways typically have excellent lane markings. And the arc of a curve is simple to plot once you have several data points especially with the minor curvature one encounters on interstate highways. What happened to all that mega-processing power of the supercomputer sitting behind the glove box? Can it not do the math to stay centered on a lane marker once the cameras detect an arc in the highway? I guess the good news is that, when Elon flies off to Mars, at least he'll be traveling in a straight line. :rolleyes:

Needing lane markings, or to follow the car in front, are a fairly primitive form of autonomous driving. The more advanced form is using may identifiable objects to place the car with precision on a 3D map.

There is not a lot of evidence yet that AP2 has a good map or knows exactly where it is on that map. Is Tesla currently developing advanced functionality, or just putting out fires trying to get back to AP1 functionality? I have a very good sense of what Waymo is doing, Tesla seems messy.

Considering Musk's comments in December, I expected a bigger jump in functionality with 8.1. Tesla may need do the high resolution mapping with specialized vehicles that other companies are doing. Sometimes a shortcut is a dead end.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and NerdUno
Needing lane markings, or to follow the car in front, are a fairly primitive form of autonomous driving. The more advanced form is using may identifiable objects to place the car with precision on a 3D map.

There is not a lot of evidence yet that AP2 has a good map or knows exactly where it is on that map. Is Tesla currently developing advanced functionality, or just putting out fires trying to get back to AP1 functionality? I have a very good sense of what Waymo is doing, Tesla seems messy.

Considering Musk's comments in December, I expected a bigger jump in functionality with 8.1. Tesla may need do the high resolution mapping with specialized vehicles that other companies are doing. Sometimes a shortcut is a dead end.

But you don't even need high definition mapping to know the radius of an upcoming curve. I would think that the underlying maps being used "should" include curve radius information. That can be calculated off line and built into the maps. If the car knows this, then it could also be used to actively plan the path through the curve. For example, not allowing the car to track too close to the center line on a right hand turn as others have observed.

Wish I had a Tesla with 2.0 so I could find a few tough scenarios and record them regularly for comparison over time. Good solid evidence versus human impressions would better track improvement over time. I'll do this when my 3 arrives.

Surprised no one is doing this yet, except for Tesla obviously.

RT