Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
August is just a couple months after the 6 month mark so he was not that far off the mark.

Only one year off.

Wondering if this means a differentiation in features based on whether folks paid for fsd or not?

I sure hope so. I did jump in for FSD (knowing the state of affairs) figuring they would have to start rolling out those features eventually even if they never make it to actual FSD. I bought to get access to the additional 4 camera inputs they claim FSD will use vs EAP.

You are referring to when Musk promised in Feb 17 that FSD would begin rolling out in 3-6 months, right? August is just a couple months after the 6 month mark so he was not that far off the mark.

Probably. Per Musk's tweet, V9 will shift focus to FSD.
Lol... what? That was last year. We’ve been talking about this forever.

And for the other topic, yes, “FSD” includes lots of things so he was talking about FSD ‘features’, not ‘full autonomy’ all at once.

Sometimes it feels like no one is paying attention here. These are the same points we’ve all been making since January 2017. :D

Lol... what? That was last year. We’ve been talking about this forever.

And for the other topic, yes, “FSD” includes lots of things so he was talking about FSD ‘features’, not ‘full autonomy’ all at once.

Sometimes it feels like no one is paying attention here. These are the same points we’ve all been making since January 2017. :D

Yes, I already admitted that I goofed. I was so quick to reply that I looked at the months, not the year.

• Love
Reactions: strangecosmos
Only one year off.

I sure hope so. I did jump in for FSD (knowing the state of affairs) figuring they would have to start rolling out those features eventually even if they never make it to actual FSD. I bought to get access to the additional 4 camera inputs they claim FSD will use vs EAP.
I keep making this point and then I’m told some of the side cameras are in use and then they aren’t. I give up. Stsrt working on ‘FSD’ so you can ‘use’ all of them for gawd’s sake! :D.

II guess I'm just missing something.

How can they start to enable FSD features in Aug (presumably 2018) when to date Tesla hasn't rolled out a single EAP feature?

Well, 21.9 basically rolled out half of the on-off exit feature. So it is not too much of a stretch that we might get the rest of the new EAP features in July and August. But more likely, Tesla could release the EAP features in V9 along with some new FSD features. Tesla can do both at the same time. They don't have to completely finish EAP first before starting on FSD.

Well, 21.9 basically rolled out half of the on-off exit feature. So it is not too much of a stretch that we might get the rest of the new EAP features in July and August. But more likely, Tesla could release the EAP features in V9 along with some new FSD features. Tesla can do both at the same time. They don't have to completely finish EAP first before starting on FSD.
The biggest obstacle is they need to finish true blind spot monitoring using the repeater cameras and possibly the b pillar cams

I suspect the FSD feature(s) Musk is eluding too is automatic lane change on the freeway and automatic freeway exit. In other words it knows your off ramp and will take it. Autopilot will deactivate if off ramp is not another freeway.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
I suspect the FSD feature(s) Musk is eluding too is automatic lane change on the freeway and automatic freeway exit. In other words it knows your off ramp and will take it.
That is part of EAP so it should not be a new FSD Feature. A New FSD Feature would be STOP SIGN Detection. I.E. Surface street features. Seems like most of FSD on Freeways (divided highways) will be in EAP.

It says “begin to enable” in Version 9. We can safely expect to see Version 9 in August if we take it at face value but he didn’t say anything about FSD coming in August. He said it will begin to be enabled in Version 9 which could be Version 9.0 2019.52 or could be Version 9.9 2025.50.

True, we might not see any FSD features in August. But at least we know that V9 will be the software version that will start to roll it out. I think that tells us that the first FSD features are fairly soon now, definitely not still 5-10 years away, like the doubters tried to claim.

"begin to enable" means that they will start releasing features that are part of FSD. No, it is not the entire FSD in August but it's a start. It means that we will start seeing the first pieces of FSD in August.

It says “begin to enable” in Version 9. We can safely expect to see Version 9 in August if we take it at face value but he didn’t say anything about FSD coming in August. He said it will begin to be enabled in Version 9 which could be Version 9.0 2019.52 or could be Version 9.9 2025.50.

just hope that some owners can overcome their urge to jam actual fruit into Tesla steering wheels.

Costco had a great deal on the perfect size oranges, I couldn’t resist. Bought a whole pallet.

So, if they enable even the slightest bit of what they consider to be FSD, they are able to realize all of the income that they have so far earned charging people for this feature but which could not end up on their balance sheet his income because they have not yet delivered the service paid for.

Therefore, I don’t know how many people signed up for FSD and paid for it in advance, but once they claim legally that they have activated the feature, even in part, they can all of a sudden have a massive wind fall on their balance sheet, accounting for money that they already have in the bank vote for which they could not account previously. Very good incentive for them to roll it out quickly, and presumably, also a good time to buy the stock, ahead of the release.