Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really disappointing that only AP2.5 get dashcam. Never once did Elon mention that restriction. Tesla said there would be no feature differences between 2 and 2.5. Yet another lie.

It sucks, but we can't complain too much since it's a bonus feature. I don't believe Tesla advertised dashcam as a feature for AP2/2.5. Let's concentrate our disappointment on features promised like Drive on Nav.

If true about 2.5 upwards only I'm pretty upset and annoyed. I'm all for Tesla improving their vehicles with new hardware but one of the best things about Tesla was the updates keeping your vehicle up to date and current. Mine is not even two years old and now won't have all the latest features. Disappointing

This is the wrong thread for discussing the dashcam; this is not the "all things firmware 9" thread. I know there was a general firmware 9 thread floating around but now I can't find it...

But as long as we're OT, this dashcam is really disappointing because it does not record other than when you're driving (so doesn't get break-ins for example, or people hitting your parked car), and it only records the forward camera. Not even close to competitive with aftermarket dashcams. I more or less expected this since it needs to use the AP2 computer/GPUs and that thing has a serious power draw that would cause major vampire drain. The aftermarket dashcams are built for low-power operation but there's no reason for AP2 to support a low-power mode other than for the dashcam feature.

True but I'm still disappointed that Tesla told everyone 2.5 wasn't going to be different from 2.0 and then this wrinkle appears. I'll live.

1. This Dashcam is a “beta” version with the full features coming in the future(Elon said this a while back)

2. Assuming you have FSD, we’ll all be AP3 eventually.

How can they recognize EAP revenue when people that only paid for AP on HW2 (2016 cars) have access to all (E)AP features so far? By Tesla's own definition they haven't shipped EAP yet.

I believe it just requires that they ship any part of the featureset(which includes original AP1 features). That aside, they do appear to have shipped Autosteer+(Handling tighter turns on freeway) a while ago, which was an EAP-specific feature. They haven’t shipped all EAP features, but I don’t believe that’s required, and it still won’t be the case after v9, since there’s still no Summon+.

It is probably AP2.5 only because recall (verified with component teardowns) that AP2.5 cameras have an extra color channel so they're more honestly "full color" vs. AP2 cameras.
That's possible but it could be something else is required as well. I think any AP2 owner would rather have limited dashcam functionality that was missing a color than have no dashcam feature at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
The new and improved blind spot monitoring:

Marc Benton on Twitter
With a motorcycle dude! Now that we’ve passed autowipers, showing cars in adjacent lanes and now showing the little motorcycle icons, I wonder what will be the next missing inane feature(or MIF) everyone complains about...

EDIT: Wait, I got it: showing little passenger icons in the correct seats.

Last edited: