Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And when will it become the self-driving, autonomous-ride-sharing, come-pick-me-up-on-the-other-side-of-the-continent system that was promised? :p

"Soon". ;)

But seriously, big updates like V9, especially getting a brand new AP feature, makes me think that Tesla is at least moving in the right direction again towards eventually getting to what you describe. Certainly, this V9 news reaffirms in my mind that Tesla is now going to focus on "pre-FSD" in V9 with the goal of hopefully rolling out FSD in V10 as Musk alluded to earlier. So, I think it will happen. When? Who knows. But I think it will happen.

I'm think that person is a beta tester, as there have been no reports of that firmware on either TeslaFi or EV-FW...

I think the OP of the 2018.39 thread has root access to his car and is able to request updates as soon as they are made available. If you look through his post history, I think he mentions this somewhere. He's also started several thread posts about new releases.

"Soon". ;)

But seriously, big updates like V9, especially getting a brand new AP feature, makes me think that Tesla is at least moving in the right direction again towards eventually getting to what you describe. Certainly, this V9 news reaffirms in my mind that Tesla is now going to focus on "pre-FSD" in V9 with the goal of hopefully rolling out FSD in V10 as Musk alluded to earlier. So, I think it will happen. When? Who knows. But I think it will happen.

Brand new AP feature... yeah for certain areas, only for US, only tips / guides you to change lanes afaik, and probably still nagging.

Brand new AP feature... yeah for certain areas, only for US, only tips / guides you to change lanes afaik, and probably still nagging.

AP will do more than just suggest lane changes. It can take exits. From the release notes:
Navigate on Autopilot will also automatically steer toward and take the correct highway interchanges and exits based on your destination.

Only speed sign reading left to make AP2 equal.

If I recall correctly the last AP1 significant improvement before AP2 was the no “under taking” at speeds above 50 mph(?). I.E. if traffic in the “faster” adjacent lane slowed down, your car would also reduce speed to avoid you under taking. AP2 cars don’t do this, they will happily carry on regardless.

If I recall correctly the last AP1 significant improvement before AP2 was the no “under taking” at speeds above 50 mph(?). I.E. if traffic in the “faster” adjacent lane slowed down, your car would also reduce speed to avoid you under taking. AP2 cars don’t do this, they will happily carry on regardless.

Oh, that would be nice. I haven't noticed that behavior on our AP1 S, but it isn't my daily driver either.

Are you talking about the backup camera or side cameras? I have seen the backup camera get quite dirty when the roads are wet and dirty, even without active rain. I find it hard to believe that the same thing wouldn't happen to the side cameras, but I guess we'll see.

Repeater cam on sides don't really get spray. Didn't wash my car over 2 months in winter. No salt spray or residue on side. Some droplets on b pillars.

Either they're using side cameras or they are "tracking" objects that used to be visible by the front cameras as you pass them, and continuing to display them for some time at their inferred position. More likely this is the side cameras. I really am looking forward to seeing how well this works... in rain and snow... and with vehicles approaching fast from behind.
This is most important for the auto lane change to be safe.

Reactions: rnortman
I think you are confusing AP 2.5 and the MCU2 upgrade. The MCU2 upgrade happened in March of 2018, while the AP 2.5 upgrade happened in late 2017. (And included a different AP computer than AP2.)

The MCU doesn't have access to any video feed other than the rear camera, so the work has to be done mainly by the AP computer.

The work is done by the AP computer, but the MCU is what has to store the video so it has to have access. The USB cable connects up to the MCU computer.

Sure all it has to do is to write the compressed stream to the USB drive. Right now it's only a single stream, but it could be more with some future version of V9.X.

In the release notes
I hope this is due to lack of testing or data and not some regulatory bs... would be real disappointed if it ended up summon where it is crippled in Canada.

Someone can test this to see if follows the country of the car or the car’s location. Does drive on nav work for a car delivered in the US and then driven to Canada? Will a Canadian drive on nav work if we take it into the USA?

Not sure why you say that... How do you explain how much water accumulates on the backup camera, which also faces backward and is shielded from direct rain? It doesn't even need to be actively raining; if the roads are wet spray will get kicked up and go everywhere.
Been there. No problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_130445-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20180318_130445-1024x768.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1
It is probably AP2.5 only because recall (verified with component teardowns) that AP2.5 cameras have an extra color channel so they're more honestly "full color" vs. AP2 cameras.
It requires 2.5 because 2.5 has an extra CPU onboard that is used for H.264 video compression. Video compression is CPU intensive and 2.0 hardware can't do it and EAP at the same time.