Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I’m aware there have been other threads about not receiving updates, but most have been linked to failed downloads, no WiFi, etc.

I purchased my new Model S 75D this December 2017. Since then I’ve only received one update In January that initially failed and had to be done at the service center.

Since then, (over three months) I haven’t received a single update request. I’m still stuck on 2018.2 0eddd23. Tesla service says an update isn’t available for my vehicle, which is strange since teslaFi is showing only 2 people of 2000 left on this software and I can’t wait to try out the new autopilot firmware from last month!

I’m I just unlucky or is something else going on?

Thanks, all.

Hi All, I’m aware there have been other threads about not receiving updates, but most have been linked to failed downloads, no WiFi, etc.

I purchased my new Model S 75D this December 2017. Since then I’ve only received one update In January that initially failed and had to be done at the service center.

Since then, (over three months) I haven’t received a single update request. I’m still stuck on 2018.2 0eddd23. Tesla service says an update isn’t available for my vehicle, which is strange since teslaFi is showing only 2 people of 2000 left on this software and I can’t wait to try out the new autopilot firmware from last month!

I’m I just unlucky or is something else going on?

Thanks, all.

Go to your Tesla account and escalate the issue. Some SC are quick to pass you off when it comes to getting updates.

What does 'Tesla Service' mean? If you called your Service Center, they just want to get you off the phone if it's something they don't need to handle (like a software upgrade). You can do the email route as suggested, or call the main support number. They can check that you don't have a stuck release stopping you from getting a recent upgrade by looking at the logs.

By now you really should have gotten a new release this year. For any recent car, there is no such thing as 'no firmware for your car', they aren't that customized outside of S and X vs. 3.TeslaFi shows 3 cars on your release, and I would assume they are stuck or off the air.

What does 'Tesla Service' mean? If you called your Service Center, they just want to get you off the phone if it's something they don't need to handle (like a software upgrade). You can do the email route as suggested, or call the main support number. They can check that you don't have a stuck release stopping you from getting a recent upgrade by looking at the logs.

By now you really should have gotten a new release this year. For any recent car, there is no such thing as 'no firmware for your car', they aren't that customized outside of S and X vs. 3.TeslaFi shows 3 cars on your release, and I would assume they are stuck or off the air.

I called customer support and they were dismissive, but when I went into the actual service center in Chicago they seemed to look into the issue for a while, confirmed that I don’t have a stuck/failed release and ultimately said that the release for my car’s “specific set of options” isn’t available yet.

I’ll try the online request and will report back. Maybe the paper trail will help.

I called customer support and they were dismissive, but when I went into the actual service center in Chicago they seemed to look into the issue for a while, confirmed that I don’t have a stuck/failed release and ultimately said that the release for my car’s “specific set of options” isn’t available yet.

I’ll try the online request and will report back. Maybe the paper trail will help.

Go to Highland Park if you can drive north. You are missing important features and are way behind. You've missed 2 wide releases which indicates something is wrong. Do you have EAP enabled? If so, you really need to get to at least 2018.10.4 which went wide and every car should have for the improved Neural net alone.

Alternatively, have you ever rooted your Tesla? If yes, you might be blacklisted.

Either way, Tesla is not doing you favors. They can easily stage an update and can even do it remotely I'm told.

Go to Highland Park if you can drive north. You are missing important features and are way behind. You've missed 2 wide releases which indicates something is wrong. Do you have EAP enabled? If so, you really need to get to at least 2018.10.4 which went wide and every car should have for the improved Neural net alone.

Alternatively, have you ever rooted your Tesla? If yes, you might be blacklisted.

Either way, Tesla is not doing you favors. They can easily stage an update and can even do it remotely I'm told.
Yeah, it makes no sense. 10.4 was a major for AP2.x. And you are months behind. Very strange. The ‘no updates for your car’, again, is ‘get him off the phone’ talk.

Another post ask if you have EAP enabled on your car? I think this is an important question. The "major" changes since your version is EAP (at least for me). Especially 2018.10.4 as reported. If you have EAP this makes absolutely no sense that they would not give you the latest release even if they have to manually install it at the service center (which of course they can. I know they did it for me). I would escalate to the service center manager. If that did not work I would travel to another service center if possible. If the service centers will not help then I would escalate up the chain at Tesla. Again, if you have EAP you paid $5,000 for it and you can't get a "major" update to it, it is crazy.

I escalated this issue and as you predicted they sent it to highland park and quickly pushed an update. I plan to install tonight and look forward to the improved EAP functionality that I keep seeing in videos/posts.

Thanks all.

Next time you're out there get some great BBQ at real urban in downtown highland Park. They even sell by the pound once you are hooked.

Enjoy the update and let us know the version. Hopefully it was 2018.16

Next time you're out there get some great BBQ at real urban in downtown highland Park. They even sell by the pound once you are hooked.

Enjoy the update and let us know the version. Hopefully it was 2018.16

Always up for some good BBQ. Might plan my next service around that and uber over (or take a rental tesla) while I’m waiting.

Updating as I type this. Fingers crossed on 2018.16.

This has been a tough few months seeing all the cool updates and not being able to join in on the fun.

Always up for some good BBQ. Might plan my next service around that and uber over (or take a rental tesla) while I’m waiting.

Updating as I type this. Fingers crossed on 2018.16.

This has been a tough few months seeing all the cool updates and not being able to join in on the fun.

Make them give you a loaner. They only give me other Teslas and I enjoy comparing them to my car.

Can someone just confirm to me - I’ve been seeing the words “firmware” and “software” being used interchangeably. In computer land these mean different things. Do they mean the same thing for Tesla’s, i.e. is there just one version, 2018.16?
Yes, seems the terms of art are being used interchangeably-firmware as you specify and the new maps are the software package that goes in the firmware box from 12.2 forward.